Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #1

I have a 1998 MM chassis with a Cummins C8.3 mechanical engine. Most often, after being on the road and coming to a stop in traffic a rest area or a campground, I get a low oil pressure light and alarm. The needle hovers very near zero.

At start up, the needle jumps quickly to 50 then on the highway it stays between 30 and 35.

I check my oil level frequently and add 1/2 quart or so as needed.

What do you think? A bad sending unit? Or something more sinister?

I'll have the rig at the Ocala Cummins shop in a week or so. But, I want your opinions.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #2

I have a 1998 MM chassis with a Cummins C8.3 mechanical engine. Most often, after being on the road and coming to a stop in traffic a rest area or a campground, I get a low oil pressure light and alarm. The needle hovers very near zero.

At start up, the needle jumps quickly to 50 then on the highway it stays between 30 and 35.

I check my oil level frequently and add 1/2 quart or so as needed.

What do you think? A bad sending unit? Or something more sinister?

I'll have the rig at the Ocala Cummins shop in a week or so. But, I want your opinions.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Old 10-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Lew, how many miles or months ago was the oil changed? What oil are you using? How often are you having to add oil?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:44 AM   #4

The oil was changed last February or about 6,000 miles ago. Cummins Power South will service the coach on the 31st.

I use the recommended 15W40 oil.

I've only added about a quart in the last 6 months.

Further, I've just heard from a friend that there was a problem with a batch of oil sending units over the last few years. Mine was replaced in '03.

I guess the Cummins/Spartan shop will just replace the sending unit and we'll see what happens.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #5

The oil pressure at idle in my '00 Monaco Diplomat with the 315hp 8.3L ISC is 30 lbs. and its' 60 or higher at normal road speeds.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
i have same engine and it will drop to a low enough pressure to just barely trip the alarm when hot and idled..just barely touch throttle and it goes away..probably a quirk of the engine
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #7

Clubmed98,

You exactly describe the symptoms my coach exhibits. I now believe it is a failure of the oil pressure sending unit and will have it changed on the 31st.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
lew did the replacement solve the problem??
Old 11-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #9

This past week Commins Power South determined that the sending unit was bad - my initial suspicion.

The technician ran a pressure test to confirm that the oil pump was working . . . and it was.

The sensor is on order and should be in this coming week.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
be curious how works out
Old 01-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #11

Cummins has had a problem with oil pressure sensors. For several years they installed a switch instead of a pressure reading sensor. I believe it conered some 2000-2002 engines. When people had a problem they put in the switch. You did not get a accurate reading. It just told the ECU that there was oil pressure, not how much. I have a 2000 Tradition with the 315 ISC. I have a road relay from cummins and it does not agree with the guage. ON many of the forums this has been discussed.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #12

I agree, I had an '02 ISC 350 that had two sensors go south in the 4 years I kept it.