RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #1

Parking brake air leak now

I had a couple brass fittings break on the ABS valve located in the rear of the coach that caused the front to drop as soon as I pushed on the brake pedal. I then had no service brakes only parking brake. So, that was fixed but new problem in that when I push brake pedal with parking brake on or off I hear air leaking from around the parking brake button. More so with parking break on vs off but not normal at all. Ideas of what might be going on. Repair guy thought it was ok but I donít. I donít see air pressure dropping.

enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 05:40 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I suspect you have a hole in a brake pancake on one of the spring park brakes on the drive axle.
How old is your coach?

Richard

Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #3

Your guy must have screwed up the lines when he fixed the couple of fittings.

The parking and service brakes are, for the most part, independent of each other and you shouldn't get any leakage at the park brake knob when service brakes are applied.

It may be best if you find another mechanic who is familure with air brakes to straighten it out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #4

Gasman. Coach is 10 years old. 2010 Newmar Dutch Aire. Thanks for reply. I posted on Newmar forum as well and someone replied they had same thing and they had to replace rear brake chamber.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #5

Twin boat. I will call service company back and explain what is going on to service manager. I have used them before with good results. But something isnít right as I didnít have this problem before they started repairing the other problem.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

I have 35 years experience in air brakes and although I've seen and replaced many air chamber diaphragms, I have never seen a failed one send air back thru the dash control. They leak at the chambers.

Hopefully the get it straightend out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
I would check tightness of the air lines at the rear of the parking brake.
Ford Ranger Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
....you replace the valve the fittings broke off of?

What broke fittings anyway? Not a regular point of failure...

You should never get any air leak when brake pedal is pushed from ANY place in system. The air is probably coming out of the exhaust port on the dash valve.

It sounds from your post that the relay valve is plumbed wrong. The line from push in dash parking valve appears to be plumbed into the supply circuit of the "new" valve.

Easy way to check is to remove the smallest diameter line at the brake valve you just replaced/repaired. If you're lucky enough that there color coded, it's probably the yellow line....3/8 in diameter.

If Any air come out of the fitting you just removed line from, the valve is plumbed incorrectly. These valve's have several unused ports the have the be plugged off, ...if your guy didn't plug the same ports as the old one, it's a issue.

All brake valve's have to have a supply, delivery and exhaust port, as well as a brake relay valve will have a control port (line from dash valve)
If a supply is plumbed into a delivery side it will back feed air to dash valve.

As twinboat posted, a chamber diaphram will leak at the chamber,
A internal brake chamber leak will loose air at the brake relay valve exhaust port, parking brake supply air will leak back though the service hose from chamber to relay valve. Not the dash valve.

Sorry for the long explanation... hopefully this will get you pointed in right direction...
Google for a picture of a air brake parking/service valve.

btw, get a different repair guy. Someone who tells you that's normal to leak air isn't familiar with the system.
Please call a strong independent heavy truck shop or Local heavy truck dealer. This ain't no area to be sparing expense. ....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #9

Thank you all the replies. I have shared them with the service manager and Iím waiting for a call back to set up another service call. This company has been around for 40 years working over the road trucks so should understand air systems. I think it very possible the lines were connected wrong as was suggested.

In reply to the 2 broken fittings and what caused them, I am not sure. One was above the other from what I understand. I had a fitting on a quick release valve break a couple years ago over the drive axle. The tech told me at that time the clearance between the air line and driveshaft was minimal and most likely caused that breakage as it wasnít secured very well. I donít know if that was the case here or not.

Tags
air, brake, leak, parking