Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Please Help!! Onan Quiet Diesel Will Not Crank

I just purchased a 1998 American Eagle Coach. Generator hasnt been started in 2 years. I have 12v at the rear of generator and it will not crank. I have held the stop and start button for 3 minutes. I get the quick flashes a click and thats it. I also get generator code 17. States this is a fuel pump fault. However it should still crank correct? I checked both 15A fuses under generator access door. Trying to get this thing to at least crank and I can diagnose from there. Any Suggestions
Mlg567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you get to the starter with a test light or volt meter and check for power there?
If hasn’t run for two years may be a bad connection somewhere that could be effecting starter and fuel pump circuits
RichieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieO View Post
Can you get to the starter with a test light or volt meter and check for power there?
If hasn’t run for two years may be a bad connection somewhere that could be effecting starter and fuel pump circuits
its an onan quiet diesel 7500. i cant locate starter. i took cover off with no luck
Mlg567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found this when searching online. This is the troubleshooting section of the service manual for fault code 17.

https://onan.xmsi.net/981-0522%20Ona...0(06-2010).pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1837.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	351224

May want to verify that this is the correct manual for your generator.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #5

Starter

The starter motor and solenoid are usually on the back of the Generator and will most likely need to be dropped to access it.
Raffygens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:05 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
In order to access the Starter you'll have to remove the Top and L/side panel-Starter is located below the Air intake box on the side of the Engine.
Prior to that Press the Stop Rocker and hold it for 15 seconds you should hear the Fuel Pump Prime- If you in fact can hear the Fuel pump- then press the Start Rocker for 15 seconds- If nothing happens Confirm that you have 12 Plus Volts at the Battery connect terminals on the rear of the Gen.
Update us.
On the other side of this issue- A generator that sits for 2 years could have all kinds of issues hiding- Fuel system Clogged with Alge, Corrosion at the connections through out- Just beware.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #7

Does it do the same thing with either start switch - the one at the dash and the one on the generator itself?
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, onan, quiet