Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #1

A post in Cummins area reminded me that last summer a recall was announced as follows;
-----------------------------------------------
Spartan is recalling 3,693 model year 2005-2008 K2, K3, MM, MG, SU, NG, and SG motorhome chassis. There may be a loose connection between the buss bar and a grid pad, due to the pins being slightly smaller diameters after assembly. Electrical power may be lost to components of the major chassis operating systems (engine, transmission, starting, cooling), causing the vehicle to shut down and/or not be capable of powering up. Each vehicle could potentially experience a unique circumstance where one or a combination of the following conditions could occur: loss of electrical power to the engine, transmission, starting and engine cooling systems, operation of the right chassis stop/turn signal and right trailer stop/turn signal, the anti-lock brake system, auxiliary brake system, the heater elements in the air dryer, and the heater element in the water-in-fuel separator. The DVEC bussmann box will be replaced. The manufacturer has not yet provided an owner notification schedule for this campaign. 07V363

Anyone have an update on this one ???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #2

A post in Cummins area reminded me that last summer a recall was announced as follows;
-----------------------------------------------
Spartan is recalling 3,693 model year 2005-2008 K2, K3, MM, MG, SU, NG, and SG motorhome chassis. There may be a loose connection between the buss bar and a grid pad, due to the pins being slightly smaller diameters after assembly. Electrical power may be lost to components of the major chassis operating systems (engine, transmission, starting, cooling), causing the vehicle to shut down and/or not be capable of powering up. Each vehicle could potentially experience a unique circumstance where one or a combination of the following conditions could occur: loss of electrical power to the engine, transmission, starting and engine cooling systems, operation of the right chassis stop/turn signal and right trailer stop/turn signal, the anti-lock brake system, auxiliary brake system, the heater elements in the air dryer, and the heater element in the water-in-fuel separator. The DVEC bussmann box will be replaced. The manufacturer has not yet provided an owner notification schedule for this campaign. 07V363

Anyone have an update on this one ???
Old 02-03-2008, 06:20 AM   #3

I made an appointment to have the tag axle bearing recall done on my new 42QRP. Spartan told the dealer that they just released a Bussman recall and my coach was one involved. They are sending a new Bussman box to the dealer for my coach. So it looks like I get two recalls done while we are there........Actually three recalls. The other one is for the brake lines.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
At Spartan now. My coach is not in the recall lots. The notices are going out very soon per Spartan service writers.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
O.K. Guys!!! Uncle!! WHAT and WHERE the heck is this thing called a "buss bar" and "grid pad"?????? WHAT do they do or what are they for???? Just moved into 08 Essex 4502 with Cummins 500 ISM and Spartan K2 chassis. Haven't yet figured out if this unit is included in this recall or not. Can you guys who know help this guy who DON'T KNOW NUTTIN!! Thanks. Steve
Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #6

These are components internal to the Bussman box that is located in the electrical compartment. They'll replace box for units affected. I called them and they said mine was not on recall. you could do the same although I found that a number of 08's were corrected at Newmar before they shipped.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #7

Just got my recall notice today, so I guess I'll call the 800 number to see if we are on the list. Made an appointment for that, tag axle seal leaking and a couple of other items at Independence RV for early March.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #8

Update: I called Spartan this morning. They said that my mileage (approx 8,000) indicated that my Bussmann electrical center was not a problem, since the failures occurred earlier, at under 2000 miles. So, although the chassis was technically on the list, not all of the parts were bad.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BCook57:
Update: I called Spartan this morning. They said that my mileage (approx 8,000) indicated that my Bussmann electrical center was not a problem, since the failures occurred earlier, at under 2000 miles. So, although the chassis was technically on the list, not all of the parts were bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was told the same thing as it pertains to my 06 K2 chassis....I find this confusing...2000 miles is not a lot of milege or time. So, those that were going to fail have probably already failed. If the Bussman has already failed, it's been replaced and therefore not subject to recall. If it hasn't failed and your Unit has more than 2000 miles, then it's a good one, and not subject to recall.

Sooooo, what's the point of the recall??? To conclude it's not subject to recall????

Sebastian
Old 02-20-2008, 04:07 AM   #10

Another Update: I got a call from Spartan on Monday of this week just to be sure I understood the issue related to mileage and replacement. I said "Yep, I understand."

So, mine won't be replaced.

I thought it was good that they called to check.