Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Replace Air Filter @ 1 Year, “Non Believer”

Being a veteran mechanic, I should have known better. But knowing that service intervals are put in place prematurely to keep these things from happening and usually you can get a little more life out of it. I almost went to far on replacing my air filter.
Even after attending the Spartan training and being told by Big Mike that the glue that holds the paper together and in the housing would let go.
I replaced the filter on Feb 2018 @ 21,500 miles. The new filter failed at 4K miles and at 17 months.
Upon return from our last trip of about 400 miles, I noticed the air intake gauge which usually runs around 8 inch lbs was at 20. Didn’t get around to looking at it until today.
Going to try and post a few pictures. Haven’t had much luck with that on here.
I feel very lucky, as this could have been an engine disaster or at minimum a damaged turbo.
Hope this post helps someone else who also doesn’t always adhere to recommended maintenance intervals.
Have a great day, And don’t beat me up to bad on here.
GrAndy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFD861D8-1CED-43C1-BAA7-F26997529074.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	269630   Click image for larger version

Name:	1C80DA3D-E278-4E13-96BD-266B49E79648.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	269631  

Name:	F0B3D58D-6F0A-48EA-B59F-6B9018C60190.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	269632   Click image for larger version

Name:	86237E52-C846-4202-9565-D73BF5177727.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	269633  

SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What exactly are we looking at?

That top pic is the way the filter looked when you removed it? Looks like a rag that was used to wipe out some dust.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

Hi GrAndy; I replace my Eco-Lite filter this year in my 01 Windsor that I had purchased used in 2015. I also need to replace the filter minder as the base was cracked and was not sure if I was getting an accurate reading on that gauge. What made me replace the filter was that water was getting into the air intake grill at the rear cap and dripping down the flex intake tube into the air cleaner. I have now fixed that problem. The inside of my old filter looks like the pictures you posted with the glue around the pleats. My new filter has expanded metal down the inside length of the filter and you do not see any glue. Just curious, does your new filter have the glue or the expanded metal down the center? Thanks in advance for the info! Have a great week!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #4

So Grandy, I have to ask for more clarity....

So is the moral of the story that those damn filters are being made very poorly and with very poor materials, or that there are better filters on the market and that the ones that are OEM Cummins filters are a piece of junk, or from others comments later on, the product you found in your unit was a factory defect and should never have left the factory? Help us get a handle on what the message here is... Do we really need to be changing filters every 4 months because they are so cheaply made... If so, we all need to be looking for a different logic on filter construction ..

Confused

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #5

Oilburner, I noticed the latest filter I installed had metal mesh on both sides of the paper element. Pretty sure previous filters only had the metal on one side.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
What exactly are we looking at?

That top pic is the way the filter looked when you removed it? Looks like a rag that was used to wipe out some dust.
The top picture, the material that is coming out is the pleats from the air filter material. It’s coming out on the engine side.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
The top picture, the material that is coming out is the pleats from the air filter material. It’s coming out on the engine side.
Yikes !!

You did dodge a bullet!
Old 12-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

What brand filter is that?

Was the seller trustworthy; in other words could it be a knockoff? I see filters offered for sale with that number from internet vendors claiming equivalent to WIX.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

Hi Ben; In answer to your question is yes! Forgot to mention that the expanded metal was on the inside as well as the outside of the filter paper. As to answer Gary's question, my Parker/Racor/Ecolite filter on the label is printed, MADE IN USA! If I remember the pictures that GrAndy posted had Brazil as the manufacturing county of origin. Not 100% sure of quality! I went to a local heavy duty truck supplier in the Seattle area that has all sorts of filters. Had my Ecolite in stock and was reasonably priced.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
So Grandy, I have to ask for more clarity....

So is the moral of the story that those damn filters are being made very poorly and with very poor materials, or that there are better filters on the market and that the ones that are OEM Cummins filters are a piece of junk, or from others comments later on, the product you found in your unit was a factory defect and should never have left the factory? Help us get a handle on what the message here is... Do we really need to be changing filters every 4 months because they are so cheaply made... If so, we all need to be looking for a different logic on filter construction ..

Confused

Gary
Gary, The filter in the photos was purchased at NAPA as their Gold line. Came in a box with the NAPA logo. The OEM filter that I replaced it with was one that had the metal surrounding both in and out. I ordered a new Wix today. Curious to see what it will be, as most NAPA filters are just rebranded Wix. Maybe I received an old stock(man date was 2017) or just an inferior product as it was manufactured in Brazil.
Anyone with the correct brand and part number of the filter with the metal surroundings, please post the info. Thanks
Old 12-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
What brand filter is that?

Was the seller trustworthy; in other words could it be a knockoff? I see filters offered for sale with that number from internet vendors claiming equivalent to WIX.
Came from a NAPA store branded as NAPA GOLD line. It does say on the filter, “made in Brazil”. I don’t buy ‘Equvalent’ products. At least, not intentionally.
Thanks
Old 12-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #12

All of my filters have been Donaldson branded. The first two were painted black, like yours. The last one I just installed with the mesh on both sides of the paper, had no paint, just a galvanized finish. It also was Donaldson branded, and I believe all were assembled in Brazil.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
These are the cross of that eco-lite filters. I bought the wix and the Donaldson with no issue, last one, Wix, was in for 2 years...

Wix: 46891
Luber Finer: LAF1828
Donaldson: P537447
Fleetguard: AH8501

I would look closely for water intrusion, glue failure caused by filter getting wet?

Also there may a rubber "nipple" looking piece on the intake side of filter, I'd make sure it's there, and inspect all pre-filter duct work for places water can get in, rain from tire, roof a/c...etc even washing the exterior

Keep in mind, the engine may not have to be running to get water in air intake...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club

Name:	IMG_4642.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	269651Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4648.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	269652
This is the new filter I installed this year. Same manufacturer and part number but it now has the expanded metal on both sides of the paper material.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, replace