Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
Epp

Replacing the lift/transfer pump on a Cummins engine

Hi everyone, it looks like I need to replace my lift/transfer pump on my Cummins engine. I have a 99 Newmark Dutch star on the spartan chassis with the Cummins ISC engine. I’ve done quite a bit of reading on the form here about ordering and changing the pump out, but what I did not see, or I missed it, is; can you just remove the three hex bolts on top of the mounting bracket, unplug the electrical connector and drop the pump out? And then reverse this for installing the new pump? I understand I would have to make sure I got all the residual gasket material off between the old pump and the manifold.

Other than physical access to the location on the engine, is it this simple of a job?
Thanks in advance,
Epp
Epp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #2

Some members report that the replacement pumps are only available with the manifold .

But I'm thinking that just the pump , has to be available .
Yes the three bolts and electrical connection is all that's required .

Did you happen on my post with supplier info for those who require the gasket only as the part is no longer available from Cummins.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isc-...et-490205.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isc lift pump.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	302301  
Old 09-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #3

….,Don't think its quite that simple--the pump and manifold come as a single assembly, so you have to remove the pump mounting bracket from the side of the engine [not the 3 manifold bolts on top]...The pumps are also shipped with a generic hose manifold config so you have to open some inlet/outlets and plug others to match your fuel hose config....old hoses tend to harden over time so it often difficult to reconnect the "shortened" OEM hoses....also watch for leaks on the injection pump banjo fittings....Lastly, access and other engine components tend to block or restrict access to the pump.....this is often not an easy task to accomplish on RVs...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Epp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

Did you happen on my post with supplier info for those who require the gasket only as the part is no longer available from Cummins.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isc-...et-490205.html
Yes I did, and I appreciate it.

I spent the last day or so on and off reading about the FASS & air dog pumps, And I remember seeing your post about the gaskets.

I think I am going to go down the route of the auxiliary fuel filters andpump but I did want to address the gasket on my rig since I believe it is original to 2001.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
Epp

This was one of the reasons I wanted to leave the original manifold and the hoses alone. I was thinking just remove the new pump from the new manifold and bolting it in place on the old manifold. This is if I don’t go down the road of just replacing the gasket.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….,Don't think its quite that simple--the pump and manifold come as a single assembly, so you have to remove the pump mounting bracket from the side of the engine [not the 3 manifold bolts on top]...The pumps are also shipped with a generic hose manifold config so you have to open some inlet/outlets and plug others to match your fuel hose config....old hoses tend to harden over time so it often difficult to reconnect the "shortened" OEM hoses....also watch for leaks on the injection pump banjo fittings....Lastly, access and other engine components tend to block or restrict access to the pump.....this is often not an easy task to accomplish on RVs...
I have the same ISC 350 engine, the lift pump is a difficult place to access, I had to remove the starter to gain access from underneath, and stand on my head from under the bed.
Consequently I decided to have the lift pump replaced by a local HDT repair shop. Total cost $3K, including all new hoses.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #7

I had to remove the assembly as a complete unit. Cummins only sells it as a unit, I think it was around $350 to $400 for the pump assembly. I pulled up the bedroom floor and could lay down and reach it easily. Have to remove all the fuel lines and electric wire, remove mount from side of motor and install new unit in reverse order. Only took me a few hours to do the job. Hope your job goes as well as mine did
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine