Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #1

Report on 1st 8500 miles on 18 K3 605

We have a 18 Newmar London Aire on the Spartan K3 605 chassis and this report is based on that coach. Still very impressed with the Hadley air ride, the performance of the Cummins X-15 605, the fuel economy of 7.1 to 7.6 with a GVW with tow of 59K pounds and CMS system. We have had a couple issues which are minor but wanted to share on the forum. Come back from Newmar factory we twice had to contact Spartan because both drive axle end seals started leaking and the thin paper gasket was damaged. Each time it happened we noticed it at the end of the day travel and within hours repairs were done.
The second issue was within the 1st 2K miles we had a couple hundred buzzers and check ride height warning until we raised the regulator pressure to 140 psi. This improved the ride and stopped the alarms. At Newmar there was another LA/Spartan there with the same issue. Again easy to change and not a big problem.
The 3rd issue we have had with our coach is that twice now the bracke bolt that hold the CAC line and the bracket bolt right next to it have fallen off. The bolts were 1/4 inch to long so they didn't tighten down all the way.
The Newmar LA with Spartan K3 605 chassis has to be one of the best ever made and it is a pleasure to drive. The wife toke her RV Diving School class in Gillette and also enjoys driving the LA so I will have to learn to share the wheel. All who have this combination really have the best from Newmar and Spartan.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We have a 18 Newmar London Aire on the Spartan K3 605 chassis and this report is based on that coach. Still very impressed with the Hadley air ride, the performance of the Cummins X-15 605, the fuel economy of 7.1 to 7.6 with a GVW with tow of 59K pounds and CMS system. We have had a couple issues which are minor but wanted to share on the forum. Come back from Newmar factory we twice had to contact Spartan because both drive axle end seals started leaking and the thin paper gasket was damaged. Each time it happened we noticed it at the end of the day travel and within hours repairs were done.

The second issue was within the 1st 2K miles we had a couple hundred buzzers and check ride height warning until we raised the regulator pressure to 140 psi. This improved the ride and stopped the alarms. At Newmar there was another LA/Spartan there with the same issue. Again easy to change and not a big problem.

The 3rd issue we have had with our coach is that twice now the bracke bolt that hold the CAC line and the bracket bolt right next to it have fallen off. The bolts were 1/4 inch to long so they didn't tighten down all the way.

The Newmar LA with Spartan K3 605 chassis has to be one of the best ever made and it is a pleasure to drive. The wife toke her RV Diving School class in Gillette and also enjoys driving the LA so I will have to learn to share the wheel. All who have this combination really have the best from Newmar and Spartan.

Newmar Man

It sounds to me that you like your ride very much!!! I haven’t had the pleasure of driving one of the newmar luxury coaches yet. I’m not sure I’ll want to though as it’ll end up costing me a whole lot more money!! I’ll stick w my Dutch star for the time being!

Hope you have many more happy and joyful miles ahead!!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #3

Just as Newmar motto is" When You Know the Difference" there is a difference with the different chassis. We knew there would be a big difference between our 04 Essex with a Spartan K2 500 ISM and the London Aire with the K3 605 but it was a big difference on the positive side then we thought after driving it a long period of time.
Newmar Man
Old 08-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

Tom, Glad you found the CAC support bracket problems early . Purchased in 2012 , our 2007 MADP K2 after 5 years of trouble free operation we threw a code going up MT Hood pass for above normal air inlet temperature. I found this broken CAC hot air pipe angle bracket about 4 years ago and replaced with a heavy right angle bracket. But the damage was done. The turbo hot air outlet and the 90 degree air transfer pipe clamp became loose over time and chewed up the turbo connection and pipe end. The loose weight of that big pipe was a contributing factor. Yes new turbo , pipe and about $ 5K out of my retirement travel funds and only 29000 miles on the rig. Sounds like Spartan did not address this on the K3 very well either. Its a bitter pill to swallow since I should have checked clamp security when I discovered the broken angle bracket, however, Spartan should have secured this pipe with adequate support.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180803_080908[1].jpg
Views:	94
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	213724  
rdurdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #5

It is always a good idea to check the engine area and for that matter all around your coach for anything that could be a problem. I still have the upmost confidence with the Spartan chassis. When I look at the FL chassis compared to Spartan I see numerous layout and brackets that are better on Spartan chassis. Remember FL are still having issues with the fan drive assembly on their high horsepower chassis 500 and 605 HP that are having the fan drive brackets coming apart and allowing the fan to damage the CAC and radiator.
Newmar Man
Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #6

Great post Tom. We are so happy that you are enjoying your new London Aire. Like you said you have to share the wheel. My problem is that she will not give it back.
Jazzz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #7

Ken you should be getting the wheel at least half the time. 50/50 that's the fair way.
Newmar Man