Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #1

Reyco air springs

I need to replace the rear air bags on my 02 Eagle with the Mountain Master chassis and Reyco 240AR rear suspension. The OEM bags are Firestone W01-358-9966. Everyone is out of stock (Spartan #1919-DD4-001, SD Truck, Truckspring, Stengel). Firestone will not be able to make them till late August.

There is a Automann crossover part AB1DK23P-9966 available that is supposed to fit but looking at the specs the min and max travel measurements are different. The minimum is what bothers me since that sets the coach height when deflated.

Has anyone installed the Automann equivalent? My bags are still OK just old and showing signs of dry rot. I plan to hold out for the Firestones but not sure they will even be available by November. Wanted to see if the Automann cross would work in a pinch.

Thanks
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #2

There is an older thread concerning Firestone replacement air springs. The OEM springs are NLA but Firestone recommended a current spring that had a 1" taller bump block inside and told the owner they would work just as well as the originals.
Results from using the google search box at the top of this page. This is only one such thread:

Replacing air springs on a 1999 American Eagle: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/air-...nt-291945.html

Specs for all current Firestone air springs: https://www.firestoneip.com/content/...erial_2014.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #3

Thanks Ray, I will check them out.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
I need to replace the rear air bags on my 02 Eagle with the Mountain Master chassis and Reyco 240AR rear suspension. The OEM bags are Firestone W01-358-9966. Everyone is out of stock (Spartan #1919-DD4-001, SD Truck, Truckspring, Stengel). Firestone will not be able to make them till late August.

There is a Automann crossover part AB1DK23P-9966 available that is supposed to fit but looking at the specs the min and max travel measurements are different. The minimum is what bothers me since that sets the coach height when deflated.

Has anyone installed the Automann equivalent? My bags are still OK just old and showing signs of dry rot. I plan to hold out for the Firestones but not sure they will even be available by November. Wanted to see if the Automann cross would work in a pinch.

Thanks

I need the same bags and have called all over the country and they all say the same thing. Out of stock and Firestone not releasing any till mid to end September.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #5

For those of you in need or interested, the only option available to replace the Firestones W01-358-9966 right now is the Automann AB1DK23P-9966. The Firestones won’t be available for 3 more months. The operational travel distance is slightly different but other dimensions look to be the same.

One of my bags is damaged so I have no choice but to install the Automanns right now. I will let you know how they work out in case someone else runs into the same situation.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
For those of you in need or interested, the only option available to replace the Firestones W01-358-9966 right now is the Automann AB1DK23P-9966. The Firestones won’t be available for 3 more months. The operational travel distance is slightly different but other dimensions look to be the same.

One of my bags is damaged so I have no choice but to install the Automanns right now. I will let you know how they work out in case someone else runs into the same situation.

I just purchased automanns looks like they are going like hot cakes. I kept my Firestone’s on back order hopefully they will also come in. Cross referenced Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	339288
Old 08-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #7

Automann air springs are manufactured by Phoenix.https://www.automann.com/air-spring
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Automann air springs are manufactured by Phoenix.https://www.automann.com/air-spring

Which is a division of Conti and Conti is the supplier of Firestone air bags.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #9

I am not up to speed on who is making individual components or final assembly of the Firestone bags but there is a difference. I just received the Automann bags and they have plastic bases. My original Firestone’s are aluminum.

It is quite common to have a single manufacturing plant make basically the same item under different brand names. The named brand company may call out certain specs that are different from one brand to another. I do know that the travel distance and deflated set height is different so they may be made by the same company but they are not the same.

I plan to contact Firestone and/or distributor in a few months when they become available to see if they have aluminum bases. If so, I will changing them out again because I’ve heard about some of the plastic bases cracking without a full metal support plate underneath. The Reyco suspension only has 3 inch wide support arm. I am skeptical if I should use them at all. Safety is a huge concern.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Thousands of air springs are running with composite bases. It's only a issue when the base doesn't have full support.

Don't install them w/o a metal plate under base for support. Reyco has a part number for the plate, but I couldn't find it...

When I replaced mine, I attempted to get them from Spartan, but shipping to Florida killed that. However they gave me the part number. I sourced it local and they were composite bases.

Adding a steel plate under the base isn't as bad as sounds. I have the means to build my own, but any local welding/fab ship can whip a few out. Mine have been under coach for 5 years.

In today's hard to get parts world, I'd not be scared to use them at all. Just add the metal plate.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1106459411.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	339547
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #11

Reyco air springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Thousands of air springs are running with composite bases. It's only a issue when the base doesn't have full support.

Don't install them w/o a metal plate under base for support. Reyco has a part number for the plate, but I couldn't find it...

When I replaced mine, I attempted to get them from Spartan, but shipping to Florida killed that. However they gave me the part number. I sourced it local and they were composite bases.

Adding a steel plate under the base isn't as bad as sounds. I have the means to build my own, but any local welding/fab ship can whip a few out. Mine have been under coach for 5 years.

In today's hard to get parts world, I'd not be scared to use them at all. Just add the metal plate.
Attachment 339547

Just received my automann bags today with composite bases. I noticed yours are Firestone with composite bases. When I talked to Spartan a couple of weeks ago I asked about that problem and was told bases where redesigned years ago and no need for steel plates.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #12

I’m not a engineer seems like forces would come straight down like a tree not the outside roots holding it up. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2716.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	339578 If that so the center looks to me designed pretty strong. I will install without plates and I still have firestones on order for spares.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #13

Quote:

Thanks

What does it matter if when air bags are deflated the MH is say 1 in off? Inquiring minds would like to know before I install my automann bags.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I’m not a engineer seems like forces would come straight down like a tree not the outside roots holding it up. Attachment 339578 If that so the center looks to me designed pretty strong. I will install without plates and I still have firestones on order for spares.
There's a thread here somewhere were some had busted.
....rock on!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air