RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #15

I have seen trailer trailer wiring corroded in the vehicle side of the trailer harness connector and feed back through the system keeping power to the vehicle lights and discharge the vehicle battery, that was on older vehicles that were hard wired back to positive feed coming off the battery. I have not had one keep a vehicle running but anything is possible. Considering the OP had a dead/bad battery this could be at least part of his problem. I would check both at the switch and the trailer receptacle on the vehicle wiring harness. Just unplugging the harness from the switch will not determine if the switch is defective. When you unplug the harness you disconnect all circuits so they will be open. If the trailer receptacle is a sealed unit it will be a little more difficult to see corrosion or a shorted plug.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I think you bought a haunted RV. Sounds a little strange, but it happens. Best bet is to make peace with the spirits...
I’ll grab the Ouija board and see if there are any ghost writers on deck.
RockwoodNRol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
I have seen trailer trailer wiring corroded in the vehicle side of the trailer harness connector and feed back through the system keeping power to the vehicle lights and discharge the vehicle battery, that was on older vehicles that were hard wired back to positive feed coming off the battery. I have not had one keep a vehicle running but anything is possible. Considering the OP had a dead/bad battery this could be at least part of his problem. I would check both at the switch and the trailer receptacle on the vehicle wiring harness. Just unplugging the harness from the switch will not determine if the switch is defective. When you unplug the harness you disconnect all circuits so they will be open. If the trailer receptacle is a sealed unit it will be a little more difficult to see corrosion or a shorted plug.
I dig what youíre saying, but this is a class A Pusher, not a trailer.

Thereís a switch in the stairwell which turns off house power.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #18

Thanks for all the help. I should clarify, this is a class A motor home, no trailer involved.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
It is possible on a DP to back-power the electrical system with the breakaway battery on a trailer. My coach didn't come with a tow harness or a schematic, so I wired one up, including the charge wire.

First time I hooked up the trailer I couldn't shut the coach off.

Had to add a diode....
This might be relevant what do you mean by DP?
Old 09-05-2020, 04:25 AM   #20

I got the ignition switch out but I can’t figure out how to remove the tumbler and the rest of the ignition cylinder. It doesn’t seem to want to screw out of the dash or push through. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0743C83C-DADA-4C6D-8137-0EA30C68455C.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	299821  
Old 09-05-2020, 05:58 AM   #21

What you have in your hand is the mechanical portion that rotates the switch itself. You need to get behind the panel , to unplug the harness.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockwoodNRol View Post
I dig what youíre saying, but this is a class A Pusher, not a trailer.

Thereís a switch in the stairwell which turns off house power.
I wasnít referring to a trailer but to the wiring harness on the coach that you plug a trailer or towed vehicle into. This can corrode between the terminals and cause a back feed of power from the charge circuit on the coach to the other circuits such as lighting or back to the ground. If you read the posts you will see others have mentioned similar. I have ran into this many times in the past on trucks but I did say I have not seen it cause a vehicle to stay running but it may be possible.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockwoodNRol View Post
I got the ignition switch out but I canít figure out how to remove the tumbler and the rest of the ignition cylinder. It doesnít seem to want to screw out of the dash or push through. Any ideas?
What you are holding in your hand is the tumbler. The chrome bezel on the dash should unscrew off the switch and allow you to to remove from under the dash.
Basically you will need to reach up under the dash and unplug the wiring if possible but if you wiring wonít unplug easily then hold the back of the switch from under the dash and see if you can spin the chrome bezel from the front. This will allow you to drop the switch out from under the dash and unplug the wiring. The switch itself will now be in your hand to get a replacement. Sometimes there are screws holding the switch in place from the backside of the dash. I donít know your particular coach do you will need to adjust procedures as you go. Just donít force it and break something on your dash panel. Hopefully you can reach the backside of the dash without a lot of disassembly.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #24
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The power switch by the door was probably combining your battery banks via the house batteries, hence lighting up your dash still.

It sure sounds like your ignition switch but as suggested it could be back fed from other sources like the trailer hitch connection or wiring.

You could spend a lot of time pulling fuses but changing the ignition switch is usually a simple enough project and they are known to have issues.

There are videos on taking them out but you probably have that solved already.

As for DP. That is Diesel Pusher.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #25

The reason the trailer wiring issue (or any ghost power source) only pertains to diesels is that it only takes a small amount of power to keep the butterfly open and the air flowing.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #26

Quote:
The reason the trailer wiring issue (or any ghost power source) only pertains to diesels is that it only takes a small amount of power to keep the butterfly open and the air flowing.
Diesel don't have butterfly ( throttle plate ) valves.

The intake system is always wide open.

The amount of fuel injected into each cylinder controls power and RPMs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #27

It was my understanding the butterfly was used only to shut off air and stop the motor. At least that was the way it was done on the old Clark forklift I used to run.

Haven't noticed on the CAT. Do they just have a solenoid to cut off fuel instead of the air?
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #28

Quote:
It was my understanding the butterfly was used only to shut off air and stop the motor. At least that was the way it was done on the old Clark forklift I used to run.

Haven't noticed on the CAT. Do they just have a solenoid to cut off fuel instead of the air?
Detroit Diesels had intake air flaps to shut them down in emergencies.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote