Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #1

RV won’t turn off - ignition switch issue

Howdy. I’m still on my maiden voyage in my first RV. She’s a 30’ Rockwood Pusher (Spartan Chasis)

I’ve been plugged into shore power for a few months working on a farm, I’m gearing up to get back on the road next week when, all of a sudden I start experiencing weird electrical issues.

Out of the blue, it sounds like the key has been turned to aux position. The dash lights are on and it sounds like the power converter under the hood is working. I finally got the sound to stop by unplugging from shore power and disconnecting the starter battery.

The starter battery wouldn’t hold a charge so I replaced that today. Engine started right up, but when I turned off the key, nothing happened! The engine just kept roaring.

I jiggled the back side of the ignition switch and was finally able to get the engine to turn off, but the dash lights and power converter are still on. I can’t get them to turn off. I had to disconnect the battery and flip off the power switch in the stair well to get it to stop.

I’d appreciate any help in troubleshooting.
RockwoodNRol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2020, 12:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockwoodNRol View Post
Howdy. I’m still on my maiden voyage in my first RV. She’s a 30’ Rockwood Pusher (Spartan Chasis)

I’ve been plugged into shore power for a few months working on a farm, I’m gearing up to get back on the road next week when, all of a sudden I start experiencing weird electrical issues.

Out of the blue, it sounds like the key has been turned to aux position. The dash lights are on and it sounds like the power converter under the hood is working. I finally got the sound to stop by unplugging from shore power and disconnecting the starter battery.

The starter battery wouldn’t hold a charge so I replaced that today. Engine started right up, but when I turned off the key, nothing happened! The engine just kept roaring.

I jiggled the back side of the ignition switch and was finally able to get the engine to turn off, but the dash lights and power converter are still on. I can’t get them to turn off. I had to disconnect the battery and flip off the power switch in the stair well to get it to stop.

I’d appreciate any help in troubleshooting.
I think you bought a haunted RV. Sounds a little strange, but it happens. Best bet is to make peace with the spirits...
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:21 AM   #3

If you had to jiggle key I would start wit ignition switch...
Old 09-03-2020, 04:50 AM   #4

Is it possible your ground is hot,, so when switch goes to ground to kill ,, it sees voltage?
Khi1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:32 AM   #5

There should be an electrical solenoid switch in the fuel line that should normally be closed when power is off and open when key is on. It may have stuck open from when you applied the initial power to it. Inactivity for a long period of time could cause some fuel contamination or moisture. Intermingling powering it may jar it loose on occasion. If not that - ?
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:48 AM   #6

OP said he giggled the back of the ignition switch and the engine stopped but dash lights stayed on, I doubt the fuel relay kept the dash lights on. As mentioned sounds like the culprit might be a defective ignition switch, good place to start looking. Pulling the connector off the switch when the problem is present would be a sure way to test.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:46 AM   #7

Check for a messed up trailer connector.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Check for a messed up trailer connector.
Huh?
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #9

+2 on the ignition switch!
Old 09-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
OP said he giggled the back of the ignition switch and the engine stopped but dash lights stayed on, I doubt the fuel relay kept the dash lights on. As mentioned sounds like the culprit might be a defective ignition switch, good place to start looking. Pulling the connector off the switch when the problem is present would be a sure way to test.

CLIFFORD
+3 on that. I had this issue many years ago with my first car (72' VW Beetle). I had to jiggle the key to turn the engine off, but dash lights would still be on (stuck in ACC). After some troubleshooting I ended up replacing the whole cylinder. Problem solved.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:44 AM   #11

It is possible on a DP to back-power the electrical system with the breakaway battery on a trailer. My coach didn't come with a tow harness or a schematic, so I wired one up, including the charge wire.

First time I hooked up the trailer I couldn't shut the coach off.

Had to add a diode....
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite1223 View Post
Huh?
See post #11
Old 09-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
See post #11
That makes sense. I just didn't see any mention of a trailer.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite1223 View Post
That makes sense. I just didn't see any mention of a trailer.
You don't need the trailer, just a shorting connector.