Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Seeking Shroud

Below the battery compartment, on the rear passenger side of our coach is a cluster of filters protected from road debris by a heavy plastic shroud. Ours has mysteriously fallen off somewhere along the way.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a discount supply source that might be less than ordering direct from Spartan? If I have to I’ll order a replacement from Spartan but I am hoping there may be an alternate (cheaper) source.

The shroud is held on by two thumbscrews, both of which are still tight and in place making the loss somewhat mysterious. The only thing I can think of is that it may not have been correctly re-attached when the filters were last serviced. I’ll be looking for a more secure attachment system when I get the replacement.

The photos show where the shroud is located and the area is encloses.

Year: 2005
Make: Newmar
Model: Mountain Aire
Floorplan: MADP 4301
Engine: Cummins ISL 400 HP
Chassis: Spartan 400 HP Mountain Master
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #2

You could probably cut a piece of lexan
Old 02-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #3

What about trying the salvage yards??????

Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are handy, with fiberglas, you could make your own. Measure the area, build you a mold and layup, the fiberglas.

If you go search the threads here, you could get help. Search "RV fire and the RV just looking for love". In the last two pages or so, Terry shows you a video on just how to do that.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions.

I would like to get an OEM replacement part but preferably from a parts supplier that offers some form of discount pricing. As an example, if I need a part for my Honda Goldwing motorcycle I can order it from Honda, through a local Honda Dealer or I can order the same Honda part from an online parts suppier and save 10-30%. I'm new to the RV diesel pusher market and not yet aware of good online parts suppliers that sell for less than the full MSRP.

Where do all of you buy your Spartan, Cummins and other OEM parts?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ron: At about 3 years mine cracked badly right at the two thumb screws and almost fell off. I purchased a new one from Newmar and yes they are pricey. I drilled additional holes and put in more bolts and washers to try and prevent it from happening again. Now after another 5 years I took it off for my annual maintenance and the entire right side where it attaches was cracked completely off. I was able to use plastic epoxy and a metal plate and repair it. We'll see how it holds up. I could not find another source for this part either.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Does anyone have a picture of the plastic shroud for the filters?
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the plastic shroud for the filters?
I ordered a new shroud and several other parts from Newmar a couple of days ago. Their parts department sent me a picture of the shroud and other parts I ordered so I'm posting the shroud pic.

This shows it laying on its back, which would face the outside of the passenger side. Cost $285.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #9

Have seen many Newmars some even new with miss covers. Need to add 1 screw on each side and at least 2 more on the bottom. We have an 11 year old Essex which was replaced once the first year and the second one is still there even after Alaska.
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I lost my shroud a year or so ago and forked out approx $300 for the replacement and the appropriate screws. A few months later after returning from Florida it was gone. Screws were still there though. Instead of buying another one I bought a fireproof tarp and built a mini tent sort of the shape of the shroud. Works great. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1426119859.523093.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	88367
Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I didn't realize that there was suposed to be a shroud covering the filters/airdryer area. My coach had none when I bought it 2 years ago and I wouldn't have known it should have one were it not for this thread. Once I bring it home from its winter layup I'll see what I can do, Mitchone's tarp system sounds like a workable solution.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Having the replacement shroud and looking to the future I'm planning to do measure it and created a drawing that will enable me to create my own should it be needed. I'm think it would not be too difficult to fabricate one out of aluminum sheeting and 90 degree angle pieces.

I feel these get broken when the tail is dragged and having closely examined the new one I am confident that my hypothesize is correct. The material used appears to be a brittle plastic likely to shatter if excess weight is applied to it. A more pliable material would be more resilient. By making it out of aluminum it would bend and crumple if the tail was dragged but remain attached. This would alert you to the dragging event and a little work with a hammer would enable the shroud to continue performing its duty.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
As noted earlier, I would like this to be my one and only replacement of this $280 part so I took measurements before installing it so they would be available if needed again at a future date.

To possibly save others this same cost, here are my measurements:
Old 03-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for all the information Ron H appreciate it.
Have placed in QT's # 3 with Spartan information.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote