RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Shout Out for Spartan Academy

Just got back from the Sept. 14-18 session in Charlotte, MI and wanted to say we really learned a ton from instructor "Big Mike" O'Neill and our tech, Andy. There was lots of hands-on experience including a 'walk under' and explanation of what's going on with our own coach.

We recommend signing up for an Academy session in 2021 and scheduling chassis maintenance at the same time. The class schedule should be available some time in October.

Oh yeah - they serve up some really good breakfasts and lunches for students, too!

Kay and Mike
2019 Ventana 4037
Spartan Chassis
OHMikeandKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #2

It's been so many years I forgot why I should hold the foot brake and turn on the ignition key-not starting engine- and listen for the 6 clicks from the brakes??
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Six Pssst sounds

Hi, Ray -

It's to push water out of the compressed brake air.

I learned not to use the engine brake, even on low, unless we're in the mountains. Those big bad brakes are meant to be used. (I'm the driver; Mike's the navigator - sorta. He hates setting up and listening to the Garmin.)

Kay
OHMikeandKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #4

I think I was told Spartan brakes are designed to last 300K miles when the E-brake is also used as necessary.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 09-30-2020, 08:23 PM   #5

I agree, the class is a good experience. We attended in July the second COVID-19 class! The board they use to show all the different components in the braking system was a big help to me in understanding how everything works. We had an engine belt problem last week and I knew exactly what to do to correct it and also had the spare belt.

We also had Andy for service. Great guy. While we were there, Andy worked 12 hour days and even showed up at the lot on Sunday to help an owner who was stuck with no air in the suspension.
cti2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:41 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ABS Modulator Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
It's been so many years I forgot why I should hold the foot brake and turn on the ignition key-not starting engine- and listen for the 6 clicks from the brakes??
It's to test the ABS Modulator.

Here's the Spartan Recommended Start Procedure: MOTORHOME START UP PROCEDURE Rev 2017.pdf

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-01-2020, 05:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
It's to test the ABS Modulator.

Here's the Spartan Recommended Start Procedure: Attachment 302933

Take care,
Stu
Thanks for the oh ya moment reminder.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Ray,

If only I could hear the ABS Modulators and the Air Dryer purge.

Too many years in a high noise environment.

Fortunately, DW could hear a mosquito fart in a 40MPH wind and she's willing to help me. She has no idea what ABS is and the only dryers she's concerned with are hair and clothes, but, she can hear.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #9

I drove up to Spartan at Charlotte earlier this year. I was scheduled for the class and inspection, but due to Covid19, the classroom was cancelled. Andy was my tech, as well. He used to work at Travel Supreme when they were building that coach through 2009, so he knows the TS very well. What a great guy! He worked through lunch the second day to get my coach out in time for me to meet my appointment in Altoona, Iowa at Summit Products.
Hopefully, I'll be able to go back to Spartan in 2021 to attend the three-day training class.
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Thanks for the oh ya moment reminder.

I read the procedure and the first thing on it is walk around and make sure coach is at ride height. Technically, you need the engine to get it to ride height, so there seems to be a slight flaw in that procedure, but I get the objective. Two walk arounds won’t hurt. Thanks

Tags
spartan