Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #1

Smart wheel troubleshooting

2008 American Tradition 40z
Smart wheel works intermittently.
Cannot find a controller board that looks anything like the pictures online.
RV Debbie says it should be under the top step.
I have a picture of what is under that step

Anywhere else I could look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94304BE2-6558-434D-817C-9A8E97A7DC8B.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	381269  
Carlton1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2022, 01:11 PM   #2

Some years ago the HDT repair shop I patronize had a newer DP there working on smart wheel problems.
Bottom line, there was a through-the-firewall electrical connection that was severely corroded _all pins were coated with green corrosion.
This connection was behind the right front wheel and subject to water spray when driving in rain.
After they cleaned away all corrosion from both that fitting and the wiring harness plug the smart wheel again worked properly.
This may not be your problem, but thought I'd offer the information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #3

Hi Carlton!

Nice to find other people with a 40z - if you ever have any questions or need help, feel free to pm me

I had an issue just after purchasing mine last September, the cruise wouldn't work and I had a thousand miles to get home. I did find that wiggling the connectors worked, and it was under the step, probably the next step down - what do you have there? I'll see if I can get a pic...

Off-topic, but I am working on lots of upgrades for the coach and one of those is a replacement thermostat for the Atwood 4-zone in case you are interested - it's my least favorite part of the coach. Other than that, I LOVE my 40Z!

Shawn
Grizzly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton1948 View Post
2008 American Tradition 40z
Smart wheel works intermittently.
Cannot find a controller board that looks anything like the pictures online.
RV Debbie says it should be under the top step.
I have a picture of what is under that step

Anywheto re else I could look?
I think that is it with the cover off under the top step far left---- I will look when go to my storage building ----you can still get them from REV group about 400.00 +
Old 11-22-2022, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly73 View Post
Hi Carlton!

Nice to find other people with a 40z - if you ever have any questions or need help, feel free to pm me

I had an issue just after purchasing mine last September, the cruise wouldn't work and I had a thousand miles to get home. I did find that wiggling the connectors worked, and it was under the step, probably the next step down - what do you have there? I'll see if I can get a pic...

Off-topic, but I am working on lots of upgrades for the coach and one of those is a replacement thermostat for the Atwood 4-zone in case you are interested - it's my least favorite part of the coach. Other than that, I LOVE my 40Z!

Shawn
I am !!
Old 11-26-2022, 02:40 PM   #6

Looks like your cover is missing ----Part # on mine is 2562-NN2B-V04 Wheel Decoder
Old 12-01-2022, 12:34 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Smile 2005 American Eagle

Hello, after looking under steps, outside compartment and on floor behind steering column, finally found it under the dash cover. It was in an unlabeled box and could not find a picture of a wheel decoder to know what I was looking for. Finally googled for a picture and then it was there but no label saying what it was so I had passed it over. Very frustrating but now I know. I have to replace decoder and steering clock, got parts from Spartan. Good luck,
Old 12-02-2022, 08:34 AM   #8

Oh my, I'm sorry you had to replace your boards. I'd suggest anyone having issues first clean up the boards (blow air, vacuum, etc) and re-seat the connectors, looking for any contacts that might have a poor crimp or might be backing out of the housing and not making contact. Re-seat carefully so you don't bend any pins yourself

I was lucky in that mine just needed to be wiggled/re-seated for my cruise control to work.

Another resource is M&M RV out of Ohio - they do PCB repair and may have repaired items for some things in stock, not sure. They helped me with a leveler control board replacement for mine that had a stuck pushbutton.

Good luck!

Shawn
Grizzly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Hi Shawn, after replacing decoder and smart wheel we still do not have tail lights or running lights, but do have brake, turn signal and headlights. Very frustrating as well as expensive. Was recommended by Spartan to replace those parts by technical dept.I guess they were incorrect. Can not find any fuse for those lights in back of rv, did find Bussman box but no 20 amp or anything labeled marker or tail lights. Any suggestions?

Tags
troubleshooting