Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #71

American Coach Owners Club
Hmm...I think that's ok, but only if you're 100% certain your Ball joints are good.

Be a good deal for a newer coach that's just starting to show boot deterioration. Once the boots are gone what grease is there is a dirt magnet while driving.

All that does is keep dirt out, still no way to grease the ball socket area where the friction takes place.

If you get some, post some pics and process...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #72

Hey Mack,
Yes. I would clean the joints really well, check the end play, Order the boots (if the BOTH the upper and lower joints are good).

Get the boots, clean the joint again, install the boots, wait for the glue to dry, use a grease pin adapter and fill the boots until they JUST start to "inflate". Then put the straps on to secure the boots into place.

If Either of the upper or lower is bad, I would just put new joints on both as a lot of the labor is shared just getting the system off the vehicle to replace the joint.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #73

I don't see how filling the boot area with grease will lube the ball socket area. There's a minimum amount of clearance between the ball and socket. Perhaps 4/5 thousands of and inch.

Without the grease fitting on the socket area that forces lube under pressure past the ball...I don't see the advantage.

However it will keep yuky stuff out!
Peace
Old 09-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Looking at these today and they were made for
"Bluebird-Wanderlodge-M380-450-Ball-joint-boot-kit-complete-upper-and-lower-boots"
on ebay from the link above posted. Will they fit the Spartan MM chassis w/1200 front end?
I sent Rayan a message that makes them, but being discussed on here I thought I'd ask........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ball joint boots.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	218312  
Old 09-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #75

I do like the fact that they appear to be polyurethane and not the this rubber wanna be boot like the ones I just installed.
I wonder if I could place these OVER the existing boot....
Old 09-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Good question......I still don't know if they will even work or fit the Spartan Chassis ?
Old 09-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Good question......I still don't know if they will even work or fit the Spartan Chassis ?
If it's the same Reyco IFS it'll fit....the ball joints in the picture look just like them
Old 09-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
If it's the same Reyco IFS it'll fit....the ball joints in the picture look just like them
Do you know what Bluebird used for a chassis and front end?? they just call theirs "Bluebird-Wanderlodge-M380-450".....
I am waiting for the owner/seller to get back with me .
Old 09-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #79

There is a product called Nashua Stretch and Seal ... see YouTube for examples. It only works if the ball joints are good but the boots are bad.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
There is a product called Nashua Stretch and Seal ... see YouTube for examples. It only works if the ball joints are good but the boots are bad.
The problem with that is after overlapped a reaction takes place and it would not be flexible as the ball joint bellows flex.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluebird-Wa...-/292096210265

I haven't looked at all to see if these would fit a K2 chassis. But representative that the idea exists.
Thank you for the link. I got to looking around on ebay and found: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292096210263
I'm still investigating, hopefully I can find measurements somwhere to compare with my Spartan MM, IFS1200 Reyco-Granning front suspension.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Ryan that made the mold for these boots(and makes them) emailed me back, he did not know if they would fit my Spartan MM, IFS1200 Reyco-Granning front suspension. He said he would mail me a sample to try........
But in research this morning the Bluebird Wonderlodge 380/450 that these were made for use 65mm upper and 80mm lower ball joint's(Heaver axle rating)........and Rayco's are 65mm lower and 40 upper.............
So, with the very limited space towards the spindle, I am thinking these replacement boot's would be to big......?? I have Ryan's number and will call and ask for measurement's of his boot's today. I don't want to trouble him to mail me one with the size difference I found today in studying.........
My ball joint's are 18yrs old, still tight when check with a surface dial indicator, lower boot's just cracked over the last year(checked every year when serviced) top ones OK still, but I am not sure about spending $350.00 for boot's for 18 year old ball joint's???? 78k on the chassis...........still pondering the idea........
Old 09-11-2018, 04:57 AM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Well, here is the reply from Ryan(The inventor of the replacement boot's)

These are replacement boots to be installed after removing the damaged originals. There is very little “extra” room for anything larger than stock. FWIW, the original Wanderlodge boots were dry rotting when new and already starting to crumble! The ball joint assemblies where manufactured in Italy for Meritor.

Basic I.D. measurements are: 1 ¾” X 3 ½” X 1 ½” tall and 2” X 4 7/16” X 2” tall.

As expected, the Wonderlodge ball joint's mentioned in my last post are bigger than what is on a Spartan 1200 series Chassis.........and will not work!
So, yesterday I spent the day under mine, very carefully drilling & Tapping the bottom side of all 4 ball joint's and installing grease fitting in all 4 of them......now I can at least get fresh grease in them and keep the "Maintenance Free For Life" ball joint's properly greased!! When I greased them after the zerk fitting install, that old nasty, just about black, thin grease was shoved out and fresh new grease is in the " Ball Cavity" now.........
I have always hated the new Greased for life chassis component's that started decade's ago............on all vehicle's! They just don't last as long as ones that you can grease and take care of!
The Ball joint's are the only thing on my Chassis that did not have grease fitting's.......now they do.
I did notice that the upper ball joint's have the "Black Rubber Boot's" on them........bottom joint's are the junk clear one's..........I will just have to keep a eye on them.........they are full of fresh grease now at least!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Well, here is the reply from Ryan(The inventor of the replacement boot's)

These are replacement boots to be installed after removing the damaged originals. There is very little “extra” room for anything larger than stock. FWIW, the original Wanderlodge boots were dry rotting when new and already starting to crumble! The ball joint assemblies where manufactured in Italy for Meritor.

Basic I.D. measurements are: 1 ¾” X 3 ½” X 1 ½” tall and 2” X 4 7/16” X 2” tall.

As expected, the Wonderlodge ball joint's mentioned in my last post are bigger than what is on a Spartan 1200 series Chassis.........and will not work!
So, yesterday I spent the day under mine, very carefully drilling & Tapping the bottom side of all 4 ball joint's and installing grease fitting in all 4 of them......now I can at least get fresh grease in them and keep the "Maintenance Free For Life" ball joint's properly greased!! When I greased them after the zerk fitting install, that old nasty, just about black, thin grease was shoved out and fresh new grease is in the " Ball Cavity" now.........
I have always hated the new Greased for life chassis component's that started decade's ago............on all vehicle's! They just don't last as long as ones that you can grease and take care of!
The Ball joint's are the only thing on my Chassis that did not have grease fitting's.......now they do.
I did notice that the upper ball joint's have the "Black Rubber Boot's" on them........bottom joint's are the junk clear one's..........I will just have to keep a eye on them.........they are full of fresh grease now at least!
Now you have my attention! Can you post pics? What size zerk fitting did you use? I know there pipe thread, drill size, was it difficult to drill?....I'm all over this.
Do tell, inquiring minds want to know!
Thanks

Tags
spartan