Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
My DSDP is scheduled for service at the Spartan factory on Tuesday, Sept 12. I will check-in on Monday and stay in their overnight lot so that I can have my unit there at 7 am on Tuesday.

A number of us DSDP owners, 2005 models specifically, have complained of a very rough ride. Other owners have had to change from 70 series tires to 80 series tires as well as some changes to the shocks and sometimes the air bags and travel limiters.

Additionally, I found that I have 6500 pounds riding on the drivers side front tire. This is the maximum that can be put on this tire due to a maximum air pressure of 120 lbs that is allowed by the aluminum wheel. A switch to the 80 series tires would allow a reduction in the tire pressure as well as an increase in the load carrying capacity.

I wonder why Newmar/Spartan would spec such a package. I have a 14,600 lb front axle that is restricted to 13,000 lbs due to the tire/wheel combination.

Anyhow, I hope Spartan (and Newmar) will do the right thing on Tuesday and help me out with the ride as well as the weigh issue. I will report my experience here.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My DSDP is scheduled for service at the Spartan factory on Tuesday, Sept 12. I will check-in on Monday and stay in their overnight lot so that I can have my unit there at 7 am on Tuesday.

A number of us DSDP owners, 2005 models specifically, have complained of a very rough ride. Other owners have had to change from 70 series tires to 80 series tires as well as some changes to the shocks and sometimes the air bags and travel limiters.

Additionally, I found that I have 6500 pounds riding on the drivers side front tire. This is the maximum that can be put on this tire due to a maximum air pressure of 120 lbs that is allowed by the aluminum wheel. A switch to the 80 series tires would allow a reduction in the tire pressure as well as an increase in the load carrying capacity.

I wonder why Newmar/Spartan would spec such a package. I have a 14,600 lb front axle that is restricted to 13,000 lbs due to the tire/wheel combination.

Anyhow, I hope Spartan (and Newmar) will do the right thing on Tuesday and help me out with the ride as well as the weigh issue. I will report my experience here.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Good luck Terry and keep us posted!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #4

I don't know about the rest of you; but, I have found Spartan to be very accomodating even though my dealings have only been via telephone and email. They really do seem to walk the walk; whereas, in today's society far too many vendors/suppliers barely even talk the talk. Terry, as Bob said please keep us posted on this important issue, Ken, '04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #5

We have taken our unit to the factory in Charlotte, Mi...you will find them very accomodating....you will take the unit in around 7:30 in the morning.....they have a waiting room ....In the town there are several restaurants that give good service....we had to stay over a extra day to get our unit fixed but they did everything to accomodate us....

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:40 AM   #6

Newmar's response to my complaint about rough ride was for me to take it to the Spartan factory. It would cost me the same in fuel to make the round trip than it would to buy 2 new 80 series tires.
I also figured averaging 360 miles a day of driving it would take 8 days for the round trip.
I called Spartan, before contacting Newmar, about the rough ride. Spartan's response was that Newmar ordered the chassis, with the 70 series tires, so I should call them.
Newmar acted like I was the first one to every call them with a rough ride complaint, due to the 70 series tires.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #7

My '02 DSDP also came with 70 series tires. They rode quite well, however the front were pushing the envolope for pressure and it was difficult to top them up with the onboard air and even at a service station. I replaced them with 80's. Lower managable pressure, better ride and I feel better handling.
It did not however make a great difference in ride, just a little better in my opinion. Mine in gereral rode well with either. In fact I comment to my wife that it drove as good as the Essex and in some way seemed even quieter.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan factory service visit is over, and it went well.

First off, I have to say that Spartan treated us very well thru the whole process. This will certainly keep me in the Spartan camp.

Apparently some of the 05 Dutch Stars came with a front suspension that included some smaller air bags that contributed to a harsh ride when combined with the 70 series tires and the standard shocks. Mine was one of them. After a test ride, Spartan changed the front air bags to a larger (more compliant) bag, installed shocks with 10% less compression dampening, and replaced the front 70 series tires with 80 series. In the process, Spartan discovered the front end out of alignment and corrected it.

The ride has definitely improved. A side benefit is a quieter ride.

Apparently a new shock, that has 30% less compression dampening than the stock shock, will become available later this month. Spartan offered to install these when they became available, if I want them.

These changes were covered under warrenty by Spartan and Newmar.

However, it will be up to me to change the rear tires to the '80 series.

Next stop- General RV in Wayland, MI to have a new pump and valve installed in my HWH jacks. The jacks quit working a couple of weeks ago, and General RV did the trouble shoot and HWH sent the parts which will be installed tomorrow.

Ahh, vacations - I'll let you know when mine starts to be fun!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
HWH jacks have been repaired. The pump did not need replacing, just the shuttle valve. It took about an hour to get them fully operational, but we are level again.

Thanks to General RV of Wayland, MI for their quick work to get this repaired. On short notice (1 day) they had us in, found the problem, and ordered the parts. They then waited until we returned from the Spartan service visit and took us in for the repairs. Should you find yourself near Wayland, MI (north of Kalamazoo, south of Grand Rapids along RT 131) in need of service, they will help you. They have about a dozen service bays that are kept very clean. I didn't count them, but there were several sevice techs working on rv's. General RV also has a well stocked showroom with lots of rv necessities.

Next fix-it item- replacing the plastic cover that protects fuel, air, and hydralics filters. The cover broke and fell to the ground, then was dragged for a number of miles. Fortunately, the only damage was to the cover. I'll post this in the Newmar section.