RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

Spartan MM ride height issue

I have a 2010 Newmar Ventana on a Spartan MM chassis that has the
Hendrickson Airtek solid axle front end and the HAS rear differential.
The front has 2 height adjustment valves and the rear has one on the passenger rear. The ride height on the front is right in spec. The rear is way off on one side.
The passenger side is really close to spec but the driver rear side is about an inch high. Has anyone got any ideas on what could be wrong that would cause one side to lift higher than the other? Thanks for any help.

Kent

hrdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
If you are able to safely get under coach, take a close look at all suspension mounting points, on both from of rear axle, rear and each side. Something maybe broke, or just look different than the other side that may help you pinpoint the issue.
It's possible to have a ruptured air bag on only one side but you'd be losing air pressure...look at bags, you should be able to push them in some by hand when inflated, if one has no air it'll be super soft...

Which makes me think you have a mechanical issue.

A wag is one of the bags "folded under itself" when leaked down...You may want to drain all air, or better use the dash dump valve, exhaust all the air, then build it back up....

mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #3

Mackwrench thanks so much for the reply. When I was under there looking earlier
the only thing I noticed was that one airbag is aired up alot higher than the other one.
The one on the driver side is up off of its base a good 2 1/2 to 3 inches and the one
on the passenger side is up maybe an inch or so. Could it be possible that the height control valve is allowing more air to go to that side for some reason?
Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #4

Find the ride height specs in your owners manual, if not there call Spartan and ask. Exercise great caution when working on air springs and/or ride height, it is easy to bump a control rod and drop that side. My ride specs (6 1/16"frame bottom to CL of axle) are likely different, as I have Reyco-Granning IFS front end.
Make sure when all air is out of the springs you have room to move about underneath. Some years ago an RV tech in N. Indiana was smothered when the RV suspension dropped and pinned him. His coworkers missed him and began looking,found him dead.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #5

Make sure the coach is level. In the instructions for ride height adjust, they have you roll coach back and forth on level surface before checking it. If one side is off a little, other side will compensate.
ron377ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

Update,
Still have not got this problem repaired. Have had it to two shops now and
they can not find anything wrong. I do know when I measured ride height
it was to spec on both sides of front and at spec on passenger side in rear.
On drivers side in rear it is at least 3/4 inch high. Anyone got anymore
suggestions. This is driving me nuts. lol Which doesnt take much.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Kent
Old 05-25-2020, 06:41 AM   #7

Follow the lines from the rear bags to the HCV, do they split somewhere or go directly to the HCV ? Mine has an accumulator tank and they split from there. Anyway, find where they split, either from a check valve or directly on the HCV and switch the lines to see if your problem changes sides. Make sure you have jack stands or are on ramps and aired down etc.

If it's built like mine, I only have 1 line coming out of the HCV , to the accumulator tank, and then a line to each bag...so there is no possible way it can send different pressures to each bag. But, maybe yours is different ?
Old 05-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply Meames1. I have one line going to the hcv and then they go out to both air bags. Thatís what makes it so puzzling to me. The front is dead on on measurement on both sides but on the rear the side with the hcv is right on but the drivers side is about 3/4 of an inch different on measurement. The thing that really drives me crazy is that the measurement at wheel wells is 2 inches different on back. The front wheel well measurement is basically the same on both sides.

Kent
Old 05-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdestiny View Post
Thanks for the reply Meames1. I have one line going to the hcv and then they go out to both air bags. Thatís what makes it so puzzling to me. The front is dead on on measurement on both sides but on the rear the side with the hcv is right on but the drivers side is about 3/4 of an inch different on measurement. The thing that really drives me crazy is that the measurement at wheel wells is 2 inches different on back. The front wheel well measurement is basically the same on both sides.

Kent

Measure the rear from bottom of frame to center of axle (the weld seam works well) not the wheel wells. If it's the same side to side, then something on your body set wrong. If it is truly off @ the axle measurement, then something must be binding. Maybe I missed it, how is the ride? Been many, many years, buy I've seen frozen shocks before (bent shaft, stuck piston etc.)
Old 05-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #10

Meames1 thanks for the reply. I did measure from bottom of frame to the weld on axle housing. It is about 3/4 inch different side to side. The passenger side where the hcv valve is located is right on the drivers side is 3/4 inch off. This whole thing started after I raised the passenger side up with leveling jacks to allow me to completely drain tanks during winterization. Ever since then I have had this issue. Kind of lost on what to do. I knew the measurement at wheel wells wasnít correct way to check for ride height I am just frustrated that it is so out of whack. Didnít know if I screwed up an airbag when raising up one side or possibly shock. Never thought of that.

Kent
Old 05-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdestiny View Post
Meames1 thanks for the reply. I did measure from bottom of frame to the weld on axle housing. It is about 3/4 inch different side to side. The passenger side where the hcv valve is located is right on the drivers side is 3/4 inch off. This whole thing started after I raised the passenger side up with leveling jacks to allow me to completely drain tanks during winterization. Ever since then I have had this issue. Kind of lost on what to do. I knew the measurement at wheel wells wasn’t correct way to check for ride height I am just frustrated that it is so out of whack. Didn’t know if I screwed up an airbag when raising up one side or possibly shock. Never thought of that.

Kent

Ahhh.......
Unbolt both shocks...just the lower bolt and retry. You may have bottomed out the left shock when you lifted the right side and bent the shaft. Otherwise, it sounds like something else bent when you lifted the one side. Never heard of an airbag issue causing that.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #12

It could be a bag is folded up into itself not allowing it to completely inflate....just a guess, but I've seen it before on semi trailers that were loaded with bags deflated
The weight of the trailer sitting on the awkward folded bag keeps it from airing up. But once the unit is driven it'll pop into place...

You've probably already done this, but using the level Jack's on switch should drain air suspension. Drain and air it bag up a few times.

One more thing, is the HCV linkage on the same or opposite side of low side?

All the HCV does is add or release air to maintain the same height regardless of load/weight of coach. If the delivery line connected to both air bags, it stands to reason surely that both bags have same air pressure.
Which leads me to believe something is in a bind suspension wise....

Another WAG, is that I would disconnect the shock absorber on the low side and see if it levels off. The shock could have been overextended/sized/bound when you lift the coach... since that's when this whole thing started.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
Ahhh.......
Unbolt both shocks...just the lower bolt and retry. You may have bottomed out the left shock when you lifted the right side and bent the shaft. Otherwise, it sounds like something else bent when you lifted the one side. Never heard of an airbag issue causing that.
Ha-ha, seen this just after I posted...
Old 05-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #14

Thanks for the reply Mackwrench. Iíve had it aired up, dumped air, replaced the hcv valve, took it to 2 shops and they found nothing. The side where valve is at is the low side but is set to correct height. The high side is passenger side. I will definitely remove shocks and see what happens. That is something easy to check.

Kent

Tags
ride height, spartan