Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2022, 04:15 PM   #1

Speedometer doesn’t work with wet roads

I have a 2001 Dutch Star 4095 on the Mountain Master chassis. Speedometer works great until the road gets wet Then it will go to 0 and sometimes get the information light. Hit a bump or cross over a bridge and it works again for a bit. Question is where does the speed information come from, the transmission speed sensors or the ABS system. I believe it is a bad connection that gets wet. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for any suggestions

Dick
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #2

Look around the final drive on the tranny.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Not familar with that chassis,, Speedo signals Normally cone from Rear Axle or The Transmission tail shaft area..
I have seen some cars count speed off 2 abs sensors on same wheel (avg pulses)

And yes you have a bad wire.. It is popular for the rear Axle sensor, wire to break from the Axle movement or a connecter gets loose..
otherwise I have seen rodents get the wire, many times this wire is a twisted pair since it is a signal ..

Try to find a wiring locator..

I had some fords do the same thing.. I have rerun 25 feet of new wire ,, LOL just to save time.
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #4

I have the same chassis but haven't a clue where the signal originates. You might consider trying to duplicate a wet road by spraying each wheel, one at a time then going for a short drive to watch the speedo. then if necessary the tranny tailshaft.

I remember back in 2013 my ABS light would stay on intermittently. My auto mechanic told me to use my high-pressure washer on straight-stream and clean the backside of each wheel, as often road grime will clog the openings in the wheel tone-ring.

It worked! The ABS light now only comes on at initial dash warning light check.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:45 PM   #5

The wiring info I have for gauges on a 2001 Spartan chassis , shows no connection to the ABS module only the Trans and engine and other sensors .

So I believe the trans output speed sensor , or connection to same , is most likely the issue .

Check the trans ECM for codes using the key pad .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison all codes.pdf (2.09 MB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf 2001 Spartan MM_MMGT Newmar Chassis Electrical gauges.pdf (154.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-08-2022, 03:31 PM   #6

Skip426. Thanks for the information. I will have to check the transmission codes when I get a chance. It says the transmission temperature needs to be above 140 so I will have to road test it and get everything up to temperature. Don’t plan on that for a few weeks but I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again for the reply

Dick
Old 10-08-2022, 03:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The wiring info I have for gauges on a 2001 Spartan chassis , shows no connection to the ABS module only the Trans and engine and other sensors .

So I believe the trans output speed sensor , or connection to same , is most likely the issue .

Check the trans ECM for codes using the key pad .

Skip426
Thanks for the info. Says the transmission has to be up to 140 to check the codes. I will have to road test it and get it up to temp. Will be a few weeks before I can get a chance to test it but I will let you know how I make out with it. Thanks again for the info
Dick
Old 10-12-2022, 06:25 AM   #8

Dick ; I believe the 140 degree temp is a requirement for fluid level test only , reading DTCs can be done any time .

Tags
speedometer