Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Steering gear

We have a 1994 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser mounted on a SPartan Chassis. The steering gear has play in it and causes a little road walking, not much. Has anyone had any dealings with adjusting the preload on the steering gear ? Not even sure it has an adjustment. Any thoughts ?
Cabinhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Whether there is external adjust depends on brand and model steering gear you have. My 95 Gulfstream sits on a Spartan EC2000 series (2242) chassis with leaf springs and has Saginaw 710 steering unit and no adjustment screw.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #3

Steering gear

I have the Spartan Summit chassis 34 foot 01 bought new. Never handled well leaving me tired at the end of the day. Just put a lot of work and money in it part of which was an alignment. Been awhile since I had one and I saw tire wear when I had old ones replaced. Took it in for alignment and also asked for a good inspection on front. Tech found some wear on sway bars he fixed and a dead spot in steering and a wheel seal seep. The alignment helped. I took it back for the seal and to adjust the steering box which would have to come off. It is a TRW steering box. The tech was able to loosen up the bolts and gain enough space to make the adjustment. I could not believe the difference in how it drives and handles even in the wind. It feels like a car now and don't leave you guessing exactly where you are aiming. Recommend you try to figure out if yours is adjustable. You will not be sorry. BTW, I took mine to a large Ford dealer that does work on all types of heavy trucks.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the response. I too have a saganaw 710 steering box and I got under this weekend and it does not have a pre load adjustment on the gears. It drives OK but it does leave you a little tired at the end of the day. I appreciate your help with this
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinhill View Post
Thanks for the response. I too have a saganaw 710 steering box and I got under this weekend and it does not have a pre load adjustment on the gears. It drives OK but it does leave you a little tired at the end of the day. I appreciate your help with this
I had excessive free play in steering when I got this coach last year. After closely inspecting all U-joints in steering shafts and all tie rod ends it appeared problem was worn gear box. Mine was due to worn spline on the pitman arm to gear box connection. It took a while to find it because trying to move the arm laterally I could feel no movement but happened to push up on the arm out at tie rod end and felt slight vertical movement. Spartan doesn't stock the arm for my chassis and said it would be about 3 months or longer to have one made and shipped. I did get mine tightened back up and has held for 6000 miles so far but took 3 attempts. If yours is loose post back and I will list what I did.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Densher I am going to try that. I keep thinking I am missing something and that might be the key to it. I will let you know and if it is you can send me the fix.

thanks so much
Old 08-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
DENSHER you were right. I do have the movement in the pitman arm and the gear box shaft. Let me know what you did to make this a tighter and better fit.
Thank you so much. Just got out from under it and I could feel the shaft move prior to the pitman move.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinhill View Post
DENSHER you were right. I do have the movement in the pitman arm and the gear box shaft. Let me know what you did to make this a tighter and better fit.
Thank you so much. Just got out from under it and I could feel the shaft move prior to the pitman move.
It took me 3 attempts before coming up with this final solution.
1. Remove the clamp bolt so the arm can be moved vertically on the splines. Am most likely will not come completely off the splined shaft.
2. Used Loctite 271 (high torque) and worked this into the splines by raising the arm and applying Loctite into splines form the top. worked the arm up and down a few times repeating Loctite application until I could not get any more to run down between the splines.
3. Set arm back in position and reinstalled the bolt, turning the bolt so any surface wear on the bolt faced away from the shaft. Could replace the bolt but I didn't have on that size and didn't see the need for it.
4. Before tightening the bolt, the end of the pitman arm at the drag link end needs to be supported, pushed upwards slightly to keep splines aligned vertically. I believe the massive weight of the pitman arm itself plus the heavy drag link is cause of the wear to start with.
5. After everything in place and bolt torqued I spot welded the end of shaft to the pitman in 2 places 180 degrees across for each other inline with the axle.

I tried this without using Loctite in step 2 and without spot weld. It held for some 50 miles then worked loose again. I don't know if it will hold for any length of time without the spot weld as I did both at same repair. The spot welds were for added insurance plus if I start to feel some steering slop, quick inspection of the spot weld will tell if it has moved. Welds would be cracked. Some 6000 miles now and still holding fine.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
thanks , I'll let you know how it turned out.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Steering gear

ALl this time I thought the slack was in the steering gear. Upon closer inspection i put my finger on top of the pitman arm where the splined shaft comes out of the steering gear. As the steering wheel was being turned I could feel that the lost movement was between the spline shaft and the pitman arm and not inside the gear box. I tightened op the bolt that holds the pitman arm onto the gear box ( and it was easy to turn ) until it was nice and tight. Just got back from a 600 mile trip and this coach drove like a car. No wondering what so ever. Most relaxed drive I have ever done in a MH.
Thanks Densher for pointing me in that direction or I would have never found it. It will be part of my pre trip from now on to check the tightness.

Tags
steering