Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2021, 08:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Will see what the alignment shop says. I also have been in touch with my tire guy. If alignment checks out might swap fronts for a pair of drives assuming circumference matches up.

Old Scout
Front is IFS. There is a track rod on the rear suspension, it could be worn. Will ask alignment shop about it on Friday.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2021, 08:32 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same issue. Got rid of the junk Good Year 670s, added 10 more psi, realigned front end with 3/8" toe in, added a Steering stabilizer. New tires after 10k, no problems, drives and handles much better.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
The front end alignment was completed yesterday. Components all checked out good. Toe in was off 1/4”. They also said the outer tie rod assemblies and relay rod were frozen could not adjust. They did finally break one free to adjust but next alignment will require replacement.
After the alignment RV was still drifting right if I let go of wheel.
Next had the steer tires swapped with left drive tires. Upon completing this we took 500 mile trip to Michigan. The RV now tracks straight and does not drift when releasing wheel.
It is possible the slightly off toe in wore the front tires in 40,000 miles and as it wore made the condition worse.

All seems good for now and I will monitor closely. Will be due for new tires in ~ 2 years.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #18

Glad for your positive resolution. Happy trails.
Thinking back upon the weegeee board we used to push cars onto back at the neighborhood Atlantic garage!!!
Old 04-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
The front end alignment was completed yesterday. Components all checked out good. Toe in was off 1/4”. They also said the outer tie rod assemblies and relay rod were frozen could not adjust. They did finally break one free to adjust but next alignment will require replacement.
Next had the steer tires swapped with left drive tires. Upon completing this we took 500 mile trip to Michigan. The RV now tracks straight and does not drift when releasing wheel.
It is possible the slightly off toe in wore the front tires in 40,000 miles and as it wore made the condition worse.

All seems good for now and I will monitor closely. Will be due for new tires in ~ 2 years.
Thanks for posting your results!

A radial tire will continue to wear poorly once wear pattern is established.... moving them to rear will help you maximize your money.

I've ran into the frozen rod ends many times. Sometimes you have to remove the entire rod and heat up with torch. A couple of big pipe wrenches to turn it.

If you'll try and remember to spray PB Blaster or something on them, at PM time, they might come around to your way of thinking by the time for replacement.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I was thinking same thing. If alignment needs to take place down the road. Will either free them up or replace myself prior to alignment. Looks like around $800 for the 3 assemblies.
Now that my ball joints are confirmed ok. I am adding the grease fittings to be able to extend the life a little longer. All the boots are still present with some cracks present and I had sealed some with weatherstrip adhesive couple years ago.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post

Did the thrust angle check out OK then?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, it checked out.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Our 02 wears the same spot on the right front as well. Wife actually noticed it while traveling to Oregon last year. 14K miles on our 5 year old set. No play, ball joints look good
Old 04-07-2021, 09:41 PM   #24

Steve, if your chassis is a MM the front alignment specs are not exactly the same for L and R wheels. There are more Reyco-Granning adjustments that may require tweaking too. https://reycogranning.com/rg/wp-cont...-1320-1370.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire