Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #1

Universal Joints

By chance, does anybody happen to know the part number/manufacturer of the drive shaft universe joints that were installed on the 2003 American Tradition/Spartan K2 Chassis? Also, is there a torque value on the yoke capscrews?

I'm surprised how my Spartan owners manual never addressed the maintenance of such a vital piece!

Thanks in advance,

Bill
03 American Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to contact Spartan and they could provide part number.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The u joints on our K2 chassis were 1810 series. i pulled mine to replace the airbags and figured Id change them after 20 years. according to spicer the bearing caps are 43ft lbs and the strap bolts are 125ft lbs
Old 08-31-2021, 07:54 PM   #4

Thanks Guys! I'm having a difficult time getting a response back from Spartan but taking the info from Dan, I can at least hone in on the make and approximate size, if not the actual! Appreciate all!

Bill
Old 09-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
Thanks Guys! I'm having a difficult time getting a response back from Spartan but taking the info from Dan, I can at least hone in on the make and approximate size, if not the actual! Appreciate all!

Bill

Spartan parts department is under staffed like everything else. Make sure you have vin# when you call and keep calling till they answer.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #6

Spicer part #5-281 for the 1810 series.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Our chassis consisted of 2 Spicer part numbers.
5-281X for the diff yoke
5-676X for the transmission yoke
Ordered them from Drivetrain America
Old 09-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDodge View Post
Our chassis consisted of 2 Spicer part numbers.
5-281X for the diff yoke
5-676X for the transmission yoke
Ordered them from Drivetrain America
I'm still waiting for Cummins to return my call but I would have never thought anybody would have two different part numbers!

I'm thinking of replacing them myself but I don't have a vice big enough. However, I've seen the advertisement on the Spicer site for the portable hand press ( $99.00). Has anybody ever used one for doing this work?

Thanks!
Bill
03American Tradition
Old 09-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
I'm still waiting for Cummins to return my call but I would have never thought anybody would have two different part numbers!

I'm thinking of replacing them myself but I don't have a vice big enough. However, I've seen the advertisement on the Spicer site for the portable hand press ( $99.00). Has anybody ever used one for doing this work?

Thanks!
Bill
03American Tradition
I have and they work ok. A lot of the time the caps come out fairly easy without using the tool especially if they were put in coated with Anti Seize.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
You shouldn't need a vice, I didn't. you'll see when you get a look at it. remove cap bolts and they come right out
I can take a pic of my old u-joints if it helps
Old 09-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDodge View Post
You shouldn't need a vice, I didn't. you'll see when you get a look at it. remove cap bolts and they come right out
I can take a pic of my old u-joints if it helps
If you ever get the chance, I would appreciate it if you can. Also, Brian, a few other questions:

1) did you stack blocks to support the drive shaft under your coach?

2) did you have any difficulties getting good torque wrench placement?

3) did you have to air-up, raise your levelers, or anything special to get more clearance ?

4) is there anything else that you think needs to be known before starting?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance for your input....

Bill
Old 09-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I'm surprised how my Spartan owners manual never addressed the maintenance of such a vital piece!
My chassis manual includes a maintenance schedule. Under the 12 mo. lube section is: prop shaft u-joints & slip joints. ...or are you looking for some other kind of maintenance?

When mine came apart a few years ago the mobile tech said it appeared they had not been lubed for several years. THEN he did a slip-shod job (did not repair damaged yoke and properly secure the u-joints) and I had to have it all reworked a year later.
AFChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hey Bill,
1 i didn't stack blocks. there is a cross brace just below the driveshaft on my chassis, which i used to steady it as i unbolted it. I dug a shallow pit in my gravel driveway and backed my coach over it. for me that was the only way id have enough room to get to everything

2 didn't have any issues getting the torque wrench to em. i just moved the coach until i could torque them properly.

3 nope, since i dug the pit i had the room

4 its pretty straight forward. make sure you have enough vertical room to wiggle/walk the shaft out if you have across brace. other than being heavy and awkward its not too bad.

maybe Davl will chime in. he has the same chassis and experience with the driveshaft, I'm sure he could offer better advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_U-joints.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	342321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_MoHoDiffUjoint.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	342322  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_MoHoRear Ujoint.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	342323  
Old 09-07-2021, 01:25 PM   #14

"Thanks" to everybody who had replied...

I heard from Spartan this morning and found the universals on my chassis are Spicer 5-674X series 1610 (half round). With that, I was able to order both universals from DRIVETAINAMERICA,COM, as somebody had recommended.

Normally I would jump into the job of changing them out but after reading a recent post from a member who suffered serious damage to his coach due to the faulty installation of his universals, I am taking my time to learn as much as I can beforehand. So with that, I am open to all input from anybody who had performed the u joint replacement themselves ( especially half rounds) and could offer suggestions...

Thanks in advance,

Bill
03 American Tradition