Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #1

What is this lug nut called.....

To All,

On my motorhome (described below) I am now missing one of two nuts that hold the center axle cap. I have the fitted wheel covers and one of the two nuts that hold the center cap on has vanished. What are these things called?

Hopefully this is enough info. I tried to search the internet, but 'lug nut' gets very generic responses.

Thanks as always.

Brian
RBAJJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Brian,

I'm not sure if we're describing the same thing or not. Are you referring to the two nuts that hold on the stainless wheel liners used on some motorhomes? These nuts look similar to regular lug nots, but are thinner and flat on both sides.

If that's what you need, you can make them inexpensively. On my very first class A motorhome, when I bought it, it was missing 1 nut on one wheel as well. I just got a regular lug nut and cut it to the proper thickness which was about 3/8 thick. I used my power bandsaw, but you could use a hack saw as well. If I recall, the nut was only a buck or two at the local truck parts shop.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take the nut you have to an RV dealer.. They will have a replacement
Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #4

An update to the search.....

First of all, thanks John and Joe.

I have learned two things on this search:

1) The nut I am looking to replace is called a jam nut,
2) the wheel inserts I was trying to decribe are called wheel simulators.

Anyway, went to the Lazydays RV dealer without the nut, and the person had no idea what I was talking about nor did he believe anyone but the mfr could get the suitable replacement.

Went back to the same Lazydays with the nut from another wheel. Well, the part in hand and a different rep, and I had a replacement in hand in two minutes. He asked me if I wanted more than one, and I said four just in case. Well, when he told me they were $20 each, let's just say I left with only the one I needed.

I still don't have the stainless lug cap that goes over the nut, but not the main concern at this point. All of the caps I have seen are 1.5", and the one that goes over the nut needs to be slightly larger, like 1-5/8".

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Brian
RBAJJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah, SUCCESS AT LAST (I've designed a part that can't even be cast) (Apologies to Dr. Jordan Kare who wrote that line, Dr. Kare is a real rocket scientist.. The kind who designs rockets, his runs on water by the way)

Yes, it is so much easier when you take the part in, hand it to the parts man and say "I need one of these"

Remember that for the future. sure beats the Kojack method (Teraing you hair out till your "roof" looks like Telly Salavas)
Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #6

Wow... $20 for what appears to be a standard, but very large, nut???? Am I wrong? Was it gold plated, or signed and numbered? Just wondering, but per chance a truck stop like Pilot or Flying J would have the non-gold plated versions.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #7

If the stainless caps you mention are the caps that go over the lug nuts then go to a truck stop. The chrome plated nut covers (chrome plated plastic, or thin metal, not stainless) will cost about $6 each. There are two standard sizes of these nuts. They are very close in size to each another, but are not interchangeable. I don't remember the details but one is metric and one is ASE (american). Take a sample with you.