Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

Why Are Spartan Chassis Ball Joints So Problematic?

OK... first off, I am deaf which means that I cannot hear these squeaks and popping noises that posters to the Spartan Chassis Forum speak of. So what to do? I have no clue if my rig is needing the joints. I also would like to know why Spartans are so prone to bad ball joints. Apparently, Spartan has been having issues with them for at least 20 years. Guess I'll take my rig to Rush Truck Ce.nter and have them lube it PDQ.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #2

Inspection and a written report.
Replace if need be.
Good luck.

Should be inspected, lubed annually Regardless.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #3

The joints manufactured for the Reyco-Granning front suspensions used by Spartan are "non-greasable". That by itself is not really a major problem, the problem is that the rubber boots keeping the grease in and contaminants out eventually tear and expose the ball and socket of the joint to the elements. If they had a grease fitting this issue could be somewhat mitigated by frequent greasing to push out the contaminants. Unfortunately, as I stated, the joints are not greaseable. So, once the boots tear it's down hill from there. Some have added grease with a needle or even added grease fittings by drilling and tapping the joints to accept them. No doubt, these bush fixes will help to extend their life...but are bandaid fixes. The best you can do is have them checked during service and expect to replace them eventually. I did my own and only had about $900 in parts (however, I refreshed the whole front suspension too). Good Luck !
Old 05-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #4

You can add grease fittings to the non greasable joints. Pretty easy. Takes about two hours to do all four. Just drill the right size hole, apply grease to the end of the drill bit to contain any metal shavings. Tap the hole, put a standard grease fitting in and pump up what seals are still there
Old 05-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #5

FWIW, I had my MH aligned last year. the rubber covers are gone. I asked them to inspect the ball joints for wear, the report stated the ball joints showed no excessive wear. My 1999 Spartan MM GT chassis has 47,xxx miles on the clock. The shop owner told me to spray them with pure silicone spray every few months and they should last as long as i'm able to drive.
Now there are new replacement boots available:https://www.suspension.com/universal-dust-boots.asp
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Now there are new replacement boots available:https://www.suspension.com/universal-dust-boots.asp
I think Drewfab on here was trying to find some replacement boots by measurements. I looked at these before I replaced mine.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FWIW, I had my MH aligned last year. the rubber covers are gone. I asked them to inspect the ball joints for wear, the report stated the ball joints showed no excessive wear. My 1999 Spartan MM GT chassis has 47,xxx miles on the clock. The shop owner told me to spray them with pure silicone spray every few months and they should last as long as i'm able to drive.
the lower ball joint is 65mm. suspension.com doesn't make one that large.
There is another post that references the wunderlodge folks forum where a user made a mold and sells replacement boots on ebay that I found.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
the lower ball joint is 65mm. suspension.com doesn't make one that large.
There is another post that references the wunderlodge folks forum where a user made a mold and sells replacement boots on ebay that I found.
Yes, those are split boots so you don't have to remove the ball joint from the arm.
I decided to install zerk fittings, and new boots when I find the right ones. For now i just spray with silicone, as that HDT repair shop recommended.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I had my Upper & lower ball joints and drag link replaced in 2011 at 65k miles just because the boots were cracked. Apx $5,400. There was creaking and popping both before and after all that was replaced. Now I am at 125k and still running strong as far as I know. Creaking in a slow speed tight right turn as normal, occasional pop on rapid up and down movement … as there has been since day one.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #10

What years, chassis, or front end was affected? I see a Mountain Master GT, what about the Mountain Master K2? I have a 2005 Mountain Master K2 with the 14,600 lb. front axle and wonder if this is one that is affected.
CP598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #11

I have a 2002 Eagle and the boot are gone. I have the joints checked about once per year. They are good.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP598 View Post
What years, chassis, or front end was affected? I see a Mountain Master GT, what about the Mountain Master K2? I have a 2005 Mountain Master K2 with the 14,600 lb. front axle and wonder if this is one that is affected.
Only the Reyco Granning IFS is affected. I think the boots material was changed in 2004 or 06.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
ball joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
The joints manufactured for the Reyco-Granning front suspensions used by Spartan are "non-greasable". That by itself is not really a major problem, the problem is that the rubber boots keeping the grease in and contaminants out eventually tear and expose the ball and socket of the joint to the elements. If they had a grease fitting this issue could be somewhat mitigated by frequent greasing to push out the contaminants. Unfortunately, as I stated, the joints are not greaseable. So, once the boots tear it's down hill from there. Some have added grease with a needle or even added grease fittings by drilling and tapping the joints to accept them. No doubt, these bush fixes will help to extend their life...but are bandaid fixes. The best you can do is have them checked during service and expect to replace them eventually. I did my own and only had about $900 in parts (however, I refreshed the whole front suspension too). Good Luck !
I read the above post and see that you replaced the ball joints yourself. Was it a hard job and do you have to align the rig after jobs complete. I do most of the maintenance but replacing the ball joints is something i'm haven't done on a large truck, etc.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
I read the above post and see that you replaced the ball joints yourself. Was it a hard job and do you have to align the rig after jobs complete. I do most of the maintenance but replacing the ball joints is something i'm haven't done on a large truck, etc.

Here is a thread when I did them, while not really a step by step, but it pretty much shows everything. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/ifs1...sh-481075.html
Not really hard IMO, but everything is much bigger so you need to be prepared with the proper tools. Good Luck !

Tags
chassis, problem