Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Wiper & Cruise controls do not work on steering wheel

Hello. I have had this problem before, but it just fixed itself until now. The steering control for the wipers and the cruise control are going funky. Sometime one button works, then sometime another button works. Then they all might work for a few minutes. I have taken the cover off the steering column and check for loose wires but nothing seems to trigger it. My steering wheel has two sets of controls, right side has wipers and left side has cruise controls. I have also noticed the 4 way flashers are going on once I start engine but shut off after about 15 seconds.
Should I buy a new coach or is this fixable....LOL. Any help would be appreciated and welcomed.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dave, here is some threads https://www.google.com/search?q=func...+site:irv2.com with smart wheel problems for you to look at till others chime in......
Old 03-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Some 'smart' engineer assembled part of my Smart Wheel backwards. On the cruise control side, to "accel" I push "decel" and to "decel" I push "accel."
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

I had something similar, called smart wheel they diagnosed the problem and sent new button assembly's. Reasonable price and easy to replace.
Krazy grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:07 AM   #5

l had a problem with my smart wheel a few years back and it was the motherboard.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

I had a similar problem and eventually the wipers wouldn't work. I called and ordered a new "ring" that fits in the steering wheel....easy to replace - fixed everything.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
If your control box gets exposed to any moisture, say from the Newmar extendable windshield squeegee in the electrical compartment, the wheel controls can get iffy. If this has occurred get some electrical contact cleaner and clean the box connection points and dry the compartment.

My sewer slinky was dirty so I hosed it off and stored it in the electrical compartment and went down the road. Guess what happened to my wiper mounted controls?
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #8

The same thing happened to us today. We went to Shortys Bear Safety Service in Amarillo, TX and they discovered that some of the connections on the board in the steering wheel were broken. They soldered them back. All systems are now a go. Thanks to Shortys!
Poberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poberman View Post
The same thing happened to us today. We went to Shortys Bear Safety Service in Amarillo, TX and they discovered that some of the connections on the board in the steering wheel were broken. They soldered them back. All systems are now a go. Thanks to Shortys!

Poberman; First post I see.
Great to have you with us.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #10

My cruise control will not work and all other controls on the steering will not work either. This is on a 2014 tiffin bus. Any ideas
garmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmat View Post
My cruise control will not work and all other controls on the steering will not work either. This is on a 2014 tiffin bus. Any ideas
Garmat; Welcome to iRV2.

The signals from the switches on the steering wheel to the smart wheel control box are carried through a " Clock Spring " assembly under the steering wheel , the clock spring is a spiral wire that coils and uncoils as you turn the wheel and can develop cracks and broken wires that COULD be your problem. First you should check for proper power and ground at the control box .
What chassis is your coach built on, is it Spartan ? Same as the original poster?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #12

Yes it is a 2014 tiffin bus on the spartan Chassis. Is the clock spring easy to replace by myself.
garmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #13

Steering wheel has to be removed to access the clock spring assembly then wiring has to be pulled up the steering column , but there would be testing to be done before you dive in .
A call to Spartan with your serial number , would provide info on checking fuses and grounds on the control module , that the clock spring supplies info to.

Spartan motor home support.

1-800-543-4277
Old 04-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Smart wheel issues

Hi Guys and gals,

Dave, I'm not sure this is your issue but it may well be worth checking for you and garmat.

When I was in the process of purchasing my 08 MADP, the smartwheel controls weren't working at all. The dealer investigated and said they ended up replacing to control modules for them after taking it all apart. I was told those modules were $600/ea (CDN). So after we picked it up and it all worked, life was good. But, within a couple months I was going down the road and noticed my cruise wasn't working. Tried my wipers and they didn't work either. On my MA, I have electric controls for wheel elevation and tilt on tabs beside the cruise and wipers and they didn't work either. I was very upset that the new controls stopped working so quickly.

But after some investigation and forum searches, I went down into the basement compartment under the driver where the 12vdc controls are for the truck and in the lower right in there is a small black "wheel decoder" box with a few plugs going into it. I made sure all those plugs were properly seated, went back up top and tried my wheel controls and low and behold they worked. Subsequent times as it has had issues I've narrowed my issue down to the 4 pin plug on lower right of that box. The plug after 10 years just isn't seating quite as tight. All it ever takes is barely touching it with my fingers and the controls work fine again.

Just want to throw this out there for those of you with a total loss of function. Electrical connections are the bane of these units and 75+% of my issues have been electrical connection related. Get some good de-oxidizing spray and pull apart any connections that are suspect and give them a shot.

Here's a shot of the compartment with decoder box at lower right. You can't see the 4 pin plug at lower right of the box as it's obscured by wires, but you can see the 4 wires that go into it. All I do is wiggle that bad boy and the whole smart wheel works again. I guess I should see if I could get a new plug assembly that may fit tighter.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control, steering