Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #15

I don't have a big need now so I have downsized to just my 1952 Bolens Husky walking tractor with a small dozer blade, moldboard plow with coulter and cultivator rake set. Didn't need the six foot sickle bar mower any longer but it would run it all with a 2 HP engine since upgraded to a big bad 3 HP. Bolens back then was a division of FMC and made some pretty heavy duty small equipment that helped small farms get mechanized without breaking the bank.

People are pretty amazed to see it plowing through small roots and sod with the coulter set on the plow where some of the consumer garden variety tractors can't cope. I actually like it better than a rototiller as it has a certain nostalgia to it while still being competent at getting the job done.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Need it mosty for mowing, cultivating about 1 acre garden/food plot and some light loader work.
For one acre? Except for the loader, you couldn't do better than the BCS walk-behind tractor. Very widely used in Europe, where farms are often very small (20 acres or less). We have thirty-four acres, and except for working with logs etc it's the tool of choice. Huge range of attachments (including some you can sit on!) which are easy to switch out, and the tractor itself is bulletproof not to mention very easy for even this 62-year-old 125 lb. Grandma to operate.

Made in Italy. BCS Gardening Equipment

P.S.

It does not have the "light loader" part of your equation... but around here, we call that tool "a shovel"!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Kinda like a loaded down car, vs. one that's "stripped"? Often, the implements don't cost a lot when purchased with a tractor. Purchased separately new, they can be pretty expensive. Used, that'll depend on how patient you are, and how good you are at turning up good deals?

Re: the loader, the compacts often have a quick detach feature. Awesome for a tractor that's going to have to serve many different functions. Mowing with a loader tricky around trees, when not out in the open.

What kind of place is this? Will this be the primary mower, cutting an acre around the house, or will you be mowing an airstrip or something? Will you be plowing acreage, or tilling a 100' garden?
Mowing an acre+, cultivating close to another acre, and then assorted chores like driveway and firewood, chickens etc. Nothing big, and I know I could do it with a JD 1 series or Kubota BX, but used those are all still fairly expensive ($10k).

I did find a dealer near me that sells grey market Yanmars. They look pretty good and the prices are great, but can you get parts??
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #18

Yup, similar here, with landscaping thrown in for good measure. After getting used to having a loader, especially a small one, well it's like power windows on a car. You don't need them, but after getting used to having them?

I've seen BX sized compacts with a loader and belly mower for 6-7k used. The JD 755 (hydrostatic w/4x4) I bought last summer came with loader, belly mower, and brush hog, plus a pickup load of "stuff" AND a ton of dirt/crud (no charge). It had been sitting for a couple of years because it wasn't running right (surging). I paid 6k for it w/500hrs on it. Cleaned up nicely with a little TLC, and running like a new one.

Something like that is what I would be watching for? Just be prepared to drive when/if you find one. They're not likely going to be nearby (I'm never THAT lucky anyway), and quite likely to be gone if you don't move quickly....

Gray market often have REALLY aggressive agricultural tires on them. Just about useless if you have a lawn?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #19

We had a John Deere 118 lawn tractor as seen in photo and used it to "bush hog" our 10 acres when we first bought the property. After DW finished mowing we bought my John Deere 2320 compact 4 wheel drive hydro-static 2 speed transmission tractor. She has a 5 foot belly finish mower, front end loader, tiller, trailer Bblade, and even her very own SJDFS (Sharon's John Deere Fueling Station) I made out of a old Flexible Flyer wagon 2 5 gal diesel cans, pump and hose. All she has to do is roll the trailer to the tractor and fill her up. The JD2320 has done everything from tilling 3 acres and leveling it with the box blade, to snow removal on our 300 foot driveway. I have planted trees, built rock walls, dug out a foundation and installed 500 feet of wood fence.

My JD is even turkey friendly. I can drive right up to the big suckers and they don't run away, but let me shut down the engine and off they go!

Remember, nothing runs like a Deere
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New House (24) 500x374.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	69790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4845.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	69791  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121115_153751_105.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	69792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1974 700x525.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	69793  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
I have a Ford/new holland 3930 52 hp with a front end loader I've had since new in 2000. Great tractor, my wife calls it her 20k wheelbarrow. I keep up about 20 acres. I'm wanting to downsize to about 28 hp with auto trans so the DW can handle it.I've studied the Yan Mar rice tractors that are reconditioned in Decator AL...drove one at a local dealer...really liked it but was skeptical about paying 13 K for a tractor built in '85.
rovinredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovinredneck View Post
...Yanmar rice tractors that are reconditioned in Decator AL...drove one at a local dealer...really liked it but was skeptical about paying 13 K for a tractor built in '85.
Yup, my semi-local guy in GA gets his from Decatur. I've seen prices a lot lower than that though. More in the $5-9K range. They seem to be built tough and basically in new condition.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
About 5 years ago I bought a Ford 640 (made in 1956) . They are about 30HP and weigh 3300 lbs and can be found for less than $5000 if they are not to painted up too pretty.
If you spend 3 or 4 times more you can a new 30HP kabota. However I don't think they will do the same work. They don't have the weight required to get traction to do the same work. Probably why most small tractors are 4WD now.
Best part is you would be shocked to see how easy these old Fords are to maintain and repair if needed. Many tune up parts, filters, and even the entire EXH system is one the shelf at many tractor supply company stores.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #23

There is a super nice Ford 8N for sale near me. Might be the cleanest one I've seen and I would already own it if it had a loader.
And with a loader, you really want 4wd... And that all seems to nearly double the price. :(
Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #24

New Horizons Owners Club
Avoid the 2 stage clutches, we recommend hydrastatic transmission. 4 wheel drive makes a big difference in what you can or can't do over 2 WD. Get it with a front end loader, you won't be sorry.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #25

Another thought just occurred to me regarding front end loaders. I can't imagine trying to get around with a bucket containing about anything, without power steering...
Old 08-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #26

Yeah, the bucket "well done" nearly doubles the price.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
A tractor without a front end loader would be useless to me, I have to maintain a 1/4mile gravel drive. The loader added about 7k to the price of my Ford 3930. The Yanmar I looked at had 4 WD and a loader. I called the folks in Decator and they assured me parts are readily available.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
I have used tractorbynet.com for a while, great forums on just about everything tractor.