Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:14 AM   #43

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It is good to hear other ADV riders are on this forum too. I hang out in the southwest, mostly riding BDRs and a few longer routes. I have been hauling my bike in the back of a ford ranger pickup that I tow behind my motor home, but now the wife wants something nicer as a toad so we are looking at getting a new Explorer. I will have to mount a hitch rail on the back of the explorer to haul the bike.

We are stuck in Northern NM until probably December this year and then who knows. With the current travel situation we may just move to southern NM for the winter instead of heading to Tucson as we had planned. Up here in the mountains there is a lot of awesome single track as well as great dual sport riding. This weekend we are meeting a dozen or so other riders at Sipapu ski resort for some intermediate to expert single track. I am so out of shape, I hope I can keep up.

If anyone is passing through this way, give me a shout. I'll take you on the 5 cent tour.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #44

Mn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikepilot View Post
It is good to hear other ADV riders are on this forum too. I hang out in the southwest, mostly riding BDRs and a few longer routes. I have been hauling my bike in the back of a ford ranger pickup that I tow behind my motor home, but now the wife wants something nicer as a toad so we are looking at getting a new Explorer. I will have to mount a hitch rail on the back of the explorer to haul the bike.

We are stuck in Northern NM until probably December this year and then who knows. With the current travel situation we may just move to southern NM for the winter instead of heading to Tucson as we had planned. Up here in the mountains there is a lot of awesome single track as well as great dual sport riding. This weekend we are meeting a dozen or so other riders at Sipapu ski resort for some intermediate to expert single track. I am so out of shape, I hope I can keep up.

If anyone is passing through this way, give me a shout. I'll take you on the 5 cent tour.
Im in my hometown Warren MN for the 2.5 months of MN summer.
I dropped off front tire to a shop, yesterday, as no matter how NOT, hard ,,I try,,, seem to pinch the tube every time. Hopefully its done today.
I also put bike in back of truck. Mine is a 2500 dodge ram 4wd, so its up there.
I use a 3 piece arched ramp with a portable winch to load and unload, it makes loading and unloading simple and very safe.
Gonna work on a wheel chock system that I can just put front tire in and load and unload on rails and not even be on the bike.
It worked really good to load my past, 950lbs Harley dresser. I didn't have to use the winch to unload the Harley, just the front break. But the kawy klr, front tire slips and wont hold. It was a non pleasant time, first time doing the kawy, so now I have to unload with winch also.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
I also put bike in back of truck. Mine is a 2500 dodge ram 4wd, so its up there.

The hitch carrier on an Explorer is only 14 inches off the ground. I may have a welder make me a Z bracket to get it up a little higher. My current Ranger is probably half the height of your 2500 truck bed.

I may even have to add air bags to the coil springs to level the load with it attached to the back. Especially if I add a kayak rack to the roof.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvJon View Post
Thanks for the invite. Yeah I'm a member of ADV already. I've been wanting to ride S CA but haven't been able to get there yet. I winter in SW NM and always seem I get cought up in AZ on my way to CA.
We ride a lot in southern NM during winter when it snows on us up north. Carlsbad, Las Cruces, Roswell, Alamogordo, Socorro, and a few other places. Lots of great riding down there. Just too hot right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tracks.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	295118  
Old 07-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #47

cool thing

Quote:
The hitch carrier on an Explorer is only 14 inches off the ground. I may have a welder make me a Z bracket to get it up a little higher. My current Ranger is probably half the height of your 2500 truck bed.

I may even have to add air bags to the coil springs to level the load with it attached to the back. Especially if I add a kayak rack to the roof.
That's what is tough on wanting to have/take all the toys with.
If I went to a 5ver, I could hang the bike off the front of the truck.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:18 AM   #48

Quote:

I did the NMBDR a couple of years ago, beautiful country. I was very impressed.
Bluefxstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #49

Nice day hear to go for a ride, in northern MN. I love the gravel roads. BUT, as I dropped front tire off 2 days ago to get fixed, and picked it up and installed it in the dark last night. The drive that drives the speedo fell out, unbenounced to me.
( oh whats that on the ground ) after installing tire on bike. ha ha , so this morning is take tire off and reinstall with speedo gear in this time.
That's why I have the tube tires done by someone, as I am no tire person or mechanic.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #50

Tires are easy. But I started running the tubliss system. Seemed I was patching tubes all the time. So far so good with it. Someone is going to mention slime, but still I wasn't happy with it so I opted to try something different.
AdvJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #51

I sold my tire machine as I emptied out the garage. And I hate slime too. I ride with enough air to avoid pinch flats and rarely pick up a screw or cactus thorn to give me a flat. I would rather pull and replace the tube trail side and get going than mess with the slime. I have not tried moose inserts or the tubeliss system. I do have friends that swear by them. Coincidentally those friends also used to get a lot of flats. One guy got 3 flats in a 60 mile single track ride. makes me wonder if the problem is the equipment or the rider.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #52

Picture time. Show everyone here where you like to ride. I have been in New Mexico, seems like forever, and I spent a fair amount of time doing off road races with different organizations. New Mexico Desert Racing Assn. (NMDRA), Rocky Mountain Enduro Circuit (RMEC), Texas State Championship Enduro Circuit (TSCEC) and Gasit Offroad. I was a mediocre C rider at best, but I sure had fun trying to keep up with the fast boys. There is a group of us who started a trail riding group and we call ourselves New Mexico Enduro riders (NMER) on Facebook.

I do get out of NM every now and then. I absolutely love riding the Arizona desert in the Winter. Especially when my mountains are covered in snow. Even though I live in the NM northern mountains, there is nothing like riding the San Juan Mountains in southern Colorado in the Fall. The aspen leaves are amazing if you time it right.

Tell us, or better yet show us, where you like to ride.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	racing.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	295695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Az desert.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	295696  

Name:	Co mtns.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	295697  
Old 08-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #53

These are from the IDBDR

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	295814

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	295815

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	608.6 KB
ID:	295816

Attachment 295817

I have 162 more pics from the trip on a one drive. You can see them here if interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1278.jpg
Size:	671.9 KB
ID:	295818  
Old 08-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #54

Here are some pictures from the COBDR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	632.5 KB
ID:	295873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	295874  

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	649.2 KB
ID:	295875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	721.3 KB
ID:	295876  

Old 08-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #55

Colorado was nice. I have yet to run the Idaho track. I am hoping that next year after I retire that I will have the time to catch a few more BDRs. If this virus gets dealt with by next year I would like to try to find a couple ADVenturous souls to ride the Shadow of the Rockies trail with me. Most people just can't commit to a 5400 mile month long bike trip.I know I can't do it till I retire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	moab-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	295968