Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #71
jww

The evolution of an RV'ing motorcyclist:
1.Ride bike and tent
2.Drive truck pulling small cargo trailer with bike inside - sleep in trailer
3.Drive truck pulling toyhauler (The beginning of placing comfort over adrenaline.
3.Drive small motorhome pulling 6 X 12 trailer
4.Drive D.P. pulling 22' custom built trailer.

Took me 50 years to come to my senses, but like most others would not take anything for the memories.
Comfort is Cool !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
1.Ride bike and tent
3.Drive truck pulling toyhauler (The beginning of placing comfort over adrenaline.

Took me 50 years to come to my senses, but like most others would not take anything for the memories.
Comfort is Cool !
1= the same
2= the same
3 was a truck camper
4 class A gasser with the bike in the bed of a Ranger.
5 same motorhome with an enclosed bike toad.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #73

Been there done that too (sleeping on what ever was available). Now carry a {decent} inflatable air mattress - aches & pains aren't quite as bad come morning.
We started two wheeled life on a 48 Indian Scout (wife & I were much skinnier back then).
Went through 4 Harley's, a couple Triumphs, 2 Kawasaki 500's, 3 KZ 1000 Kawasaki's, 2 Gold Wing's, 2 Valkyrie's, & 3 BMW's since. (spaning the last 40+ years that is).
Currently ride a Beemer R1200GS & love it,...much lighter than Wings or Harley's - handles better too!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #74
jww

Nice Hawk Conversion Bob E ! We have leaned towards the conversions but never found an interior that jumped out at us. I like the concept for sure.
The new Beemers are fine machines. My wife rides a '68 R60US Beemer. They are built like a fine watch. I always worry about the oil level in Beemers....since they don't leak its hard to tell if they have any oil in them !
Old 04-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
A bit of a funny story related to the evolution of an RVing motorcyclist... a few years ago we went to the Beehive Beemers rally in Panguitch, Utah (very near Bryce Canyon... a gorgeous riding area, btw). We arrived in our motorhome, I think there were only maybe 2 other RV's. Everyone else was tenting it. The first night, they have a micro-brewery beer tent (yes, in Utah!)... so we socialized with many other attendees and made new friends. That night it rained and was so windy, I don't know how the tents stayed in place! Next day, some of the other couples that we had met the evening before now included wives that were really cranky with their husbands, and then were cranky with ME when they realized we had the motorhome! I'm guessing some things changed for some of the couples after that... thus, the evolution of the RVing motorcyclist, LOL!

Brenda, of...
Old 04-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #76

Brenda, I was at that same rally and indeed the wind and rain was wind was blown very hard. I have a good stout non-leaking tent. In the middle of the storm two women came to my tent asking for shelter. I said fine and they were in. Thus the evolution of the motorcycling......I guess it is a Utah thing or something.
It was one of the best rallies I had ever attended.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
Brenda, I was at that same rally and indeed the wind and rain was wind was blown very hard. I have a good stout non-leaking tent. In the middle of the storm two women came to my tent asking for shelter. I said fine and they were in. Thus the evolution of the motorcycling......I guess it is a Utah thing or something.
It was one of the best rallies I had ever attended.
Phil
Phil.. just wondering...how many people ended up in your tent that night??? ...all kidding aside... we had just the opposite experience when we met Brenda...I don't think there was a tent to be seen in Donner...was there Brenda??
MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #78

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes in the summer I will ride the harley and tent it , and other times my Harley rides securely inside my Class A Toy Hauler within its' own private garage, and if I expect rain or plan to visit lakes, I may tow my Tacoma with a 12 ft aluminum boat on its' rack.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
1.Ride bike and tent

Comfort is Cool !

1.Same
2.Ride and then search for cheap accommodations.
3.Ride and have reservations at cheap hotel.
(Got Married)
4.Refer to number three.
5.Class A gasser with bike in toad.
6.Awaiting further instructions......

Betty loves the comforts of home while on the road and enjoys riding. I love riding anywhere/anytime and now enjoy the comforts of home wherever we stop. We both can now enjoy the best of both worlds in style.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
LOL, Phil! That was a very fun rally. We have been meaning to get back to it, but the last two years things kept getting in the way. I don't know about this year yet. MM, no, I don't think there were any tents at Donner (all RV's), but as Tony describes his vintage motorcycle trials competitions as "old guys riding old bikes"... pretty much everyone knows better than to "rough it"! There's a lot of "been there, done that" experience!

Brenda, of...
Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Phil.. just wondering...how many people ended up in your tent that night??? ...all kidding aside... we had just the opposite experience when we met Brenda...I don't think there was a tent to be seen in Donner...was there Brenda??
MM
We had just enough in the tent! I like being helpful where I can. No icemaker for the margaritas. Had to rent a room for a few minutes to shower each day. It was all good.
Sounds like you had a great time at Donner, would like to share some of that? Curious minds would like to know.

Have motorcycled all over the Country with a tent and sleeping bag. I like doing it that way. Its simple and I love it. I may go up to that Rally this year, I had forgotten how much fun it was. If you take Highways 12/95 it is hot but what great riding. Used to take concentrated fuel to Utah as a small bottle of Jack Daniels is easily worth a case of Utah Beer. Riding the miles on a bike is much more fun than driving a Class A. The less motorcycle you have the better. Fairings, radios, GPS's and cushy seats are very nice but it keeps you closer to the essence of the bike to ride naked. I have total respect for other folks who ride in other ways or even trailer their bikes to a rally. It is the nature of loving the sport in their way and I do envy those big windshields during rain. I have heated handgrips and a heated vest, discovered those by accident and added them to my tool chest along with a radar detector. Helmets and body armor are mandatory in my book but don't try to compromise my liberty by making a law for them. Its just common sense in my book, but others have different standards. HP=Happy.
MM, you got me rambling again
Phil
Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Phil, my DH Tony competes nationally in vintage trials competitions, with AHRMA (American Historical Racing Motorcycle Association). The events are held all over the country, we go when and where we can, usually incuding Casper, WY, Salt Lake City, UT, Jefferson, TX, Buckey, AZ, Milliken, CO, Donner, CA, Albuquerque, NM, Perris, CA... there are lots more on the east coast that we don't usually get to. MM and her DH Sacs lived not far from Donner at the time, so they came and visited us with their motorhome while we were there for an event. The Donner Ski Ranch event is stricly trials, but many of the events include vintage flat track, vintage motocross, vintage cross county, vintage roadrace, and occasionally even side-car racing! So, these are all off road events... everyone trailers their bikes there, thus, not many tents (but sometimes). Great folks and lots of great stories... Tony writes a blog mostly about trials events (and some RVing fun...) here's a link to his blog: http://www.blackcatvintagetrials.com

Brenda, of...
Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavage View Post
LOL, Phil! That was a very fun rally. We have been meaning to get back to it, but the last two years things kept getting in the way. I don't know about this year yet. MM, no, I don't think there were any tents at Donner (all RV's), but as Tony describes his vintage motorcycle trials competitions as "old guys riding old bikes"... pretty much everyone knows better than to "rough it"! There's a lot of "been there, done that" experience!

Brenda, of...
I read some of the blog, very impressive. My dad was a fighter jock in WWII. I can appreciate the trials and tribulations you guys have been thru! Sounds awesome. Craig Murray raced on old Triumph Nationally. I guess he organized the races here in Albuquerque. He was a neighbor in our old S&B days! Do you know the Bolander's? He had a ski area at Sipapu NM and rode trials big time. Sold the ski area and lives for trials.
My motorcycle resume' is far less intense than Tony's. I did race flat track locally in NC in my pre-Vietnam days. In those days we rode the bikes to the track, stripped them, raced them and then put them back together for our trip back to Ft Bragg. Slept in the pits, next to the bikes and beer. Its all changed now. Go to the track now and everyone has trailers, MH's etc.. That is good and sure makes life easier. Played with Buells on track days and many of the guys I played with went on to racing. Still play at it but I'd rather just ride somewhere and check out the sites.
I really think IRV2 needs a motorcycle thread but I do not know when or if it will reach that level.
Phil
Old 04-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
I really think IRV2 needs a motorcycle thread but I do not know when or if it will reach that level.
Phil

It would be kinda nice................wouldnt it!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv