Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Motorcycle tires

I did not see this anywhere but here's some info on bike tires.

Thom rides a lot. So much so that he's now on his 3rd set of tires for the bike in 12 months. Bike tires do not have as long a mileage life as car or RV tires. This time when he asked about what tires were available they had one that is referred to as a police tire for the back. It is rated for 2x's miles and is a run flat tire. It does cost about $40 more than a normal tire. Apparently they do not make them for the front or at least for his bike.

So if any of you bikers need tires and you do ride a lot ask about if they have the Police Tire with the run flat for your bike so that you don't have to buy them that often. His was $160 for that one for his bike.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I did not see this anywhere but here's some info on bike tires.

Thom rides a lot. So much so that he's now on his 3rd set of tires for the bike in 12 months. Bike tires do not have as long a mileage life as car or RV tires. This time when he asked about what tires were available they had one that is referred to as a police tire for the back. It is rated for 2x's miles and is a run flat tire. It does cost about $40 more than a normal tire. Apparently they do not make them for the front or at least for his bike.

So if any of you bikers need tires and you do ride a lot ask about if they have the Police Tire with the run flat for your bike so that you don't have to buy them that often. His was $160 for that one for his bike.

he will hate that tire if the road is wet he will slide. a good tire cost more then 140 installed but 10k is about all you will get out of them. for the best ride and sticky ness is metzler. I put 10 to 15k on my bike every year.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #3

I would like to know more info on that tire. I'd be very skeptical of those claims and be careful after the installation of a new tire as they are SLICK - DAMHIKT! :-(

I go through MC tires pretty fast as well. I've tried several brands and like breed said about 10-12k is all the rears are good for on my sport-touring rig or the dual-sport. Fronts last a bit longer.
MSGulfCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The last set he had were Metzler's. He hated them. They lasted the least amount of time and miles. One of the Metzler's was $193.95 and with a $50 discount it was $143.95. The other was $190.06. Those were the cheapest he could find. The police tire is what the police use around here apparently. I have the receipts from the last few sets of tires and I know what they cost. If he still had his stand and stuff he might be able to find tires for it cheaper online and be able to take them off himself and just take the tires in but alas it got taken about a year ago. Trust me when I say he looks every where for prices before making a decision.
This time the total bill for us was almost $650, not only the 2 tires but also a broken motor mount total with the labor it was not a cheap day.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
what size is the tire?
Pressure is directly related to wear. If I put 43 psi in my streetbike tires... I can expect to get the most mileage out of them at a reduced traction expense. (which is easily over 8k on my 750) If I put 33 psi in them... I can expect increased traction at the expense of tire life (spirited riding).
Also most online places are cheaper because of the volume they do... the caveat is most local shops wont install them. Retailers like Motorcycle Superstore have preferred vendors they refer if you order from them.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #6

You did not state the model of the bike but I would recommend that he check out Avon Venom-X tires. I had a front tire that lasted for 33k miles. On average, these tires will last between 20 to 25k miles on the rear. Metzlers are also a good tire for longevity.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The bike is a 2001 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic. He has gotten the tires from online before and has taken the tires off and has had bike shops swap them out but without the right equipment to support the bike without tires he has now just taken them into shops to have them do it all.
Where we are now is in SoCal around the Acton/Palmdale area. The roads are very twisty turny. He rides the bike every day to and from work except when it rains in the morning. Which means that he can count on one hand how many times he's taken the 4Runner in the last 12 months. We also do poker runs and stuff like that so lots of miles on them.
Funny about the Metzler's but around here more and more of the riders are getting different tires and staying away from them when they need new ones. More and more are just not liking them. But everyone has an opinion about things so if others like them that's what they like and that's fine. I just know that Thom will not go back to them.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 08 HD Ultra I bought new and have 55k on it now. I used the stock Dunlop tires the first change at 15k on the rear and 22k on the front. The second rear I got 18k out of. I switched to Dunlop E3's and have been very happy with them. They handle better and wear better. I just switched the rear E3 at 22k. It was very worn out and should have been changed 2-3k sooner. I do feel with proper inflation that I will get 18-20k out of the E3 rears.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tire wear is a function of weight, HP and rider style. My Vulcan 2000 got about 5,000 on the rear Venoms. The front would last about 12K. About 4 years ago I went Darkside on the rear. Have a Goodyear TripleTrac. Have about 20,000 on it and still going strong. But, it is at a cost. I lost the sportiness of the old Vulcan. I miss the sporty handling and will go back to the Venoms with the next change.

By the way, the car tire great tire for pulling a trailer.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I run Metzeler ME 880 Marathons and typically get 16-18 thousand out of a rear tire. Most of my riding is 2 up and pulling a trailer. Run it at the sidewall pressure listed on the tire.
Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #11

I have Dunlops on my BMW CLC and have worn about 50% at 6000 miles. Watch the air pressures for best mileage and handling. I would prefer a softer tire with less expected mileage than a harder tire with longer life. It just gets slick in the rain.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #12

Switched Dunlops for Michelin. Better in the rain and lasts longer. 03 Heritage softail. wore out Dunlop on back at 7,500. (and NO, they ain't whitewalls).
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires