Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Weather-resistant ebike?

I would like to find (if it exists) an electric bike (prefer pedal assist) that will not rust or otherwise deteriorate exposed to outside weather conditions by being on a bike rack on my RV. My wife doesn't need fulltime electric but would like a little help on hills sometimes. Does anybody know if such a bike exists?
jimbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Most all ebikes have some level of water resistance, no one can speak to the specifications on all makes but the nature of commuting or MTB means bikes come in contact with water. Would I submerge any bike or use a pressure washer? Absolutely not but with common care an ebike won't have a problem on the back of an RV in a rainstorm.

If it were me, I'd go to a dealer - a real bike shop not Walmart or a big box retailer but a Trek or Specialized dealer and take a look. For reference Specialized makes over 12 ebikes, some mountain frames and some commuting frames. As all the questions and try them out.

They do make covers that can protect all/some of the bike - the electronic display would be more worrisome to me than the bike itself. You will definately need to clean it after storms when road dirt and wash coats the bike (especially salt in winter) but that's the same for any bike.

I would NOT be worried about going down this path - there is a solution and pricepoint you'll be happy with.
GraniteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
tcg

I can't speak to the ebike but I made a mistake with about 1200 bucks worth of 2 bikes.

We traveled from Michigan to Florida 2 winters ago with the new bikes on a rack behind our RV.

Washed them regularly while were down there but on the way home it was winter and they got covered in road dirt which included salt.

No where to rinse them off when we got home so I just put them in the garage until spring. Big mistake. New project for me to either disassemble and clean everything or take them to the local bike shop and pay them to clean and lube everything.

While our bikes were meant to get wet they were not meant to sit with salt water on them for a few months.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #4

There are a few posts that I remember reading on bikes. They were able to carry the bikes inside. I store ours inside my camper for the winter.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
TR4

You can convert your existing bike to electric;

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-mid-drive-kit/

This mid-drive system will be my next conversion. I now have a hub-drive system that I’ve ridden over 1000 miles. It has a range of 30 miles with no peddling and over 100 miles with peddling assist. I’ve ridden it up 7 percent grades with no problem. It has a top speed of over 30 mph.

If you want to read about electric bikes and vehicles, go here;

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/

Bill
Old 03-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Another option is a folding e bike. That is what I am looking into now. I have been looking at a Blix Vika. In another post someone gave a great review of the Rad Mini
Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Drove around with an E-bike for months on the back of my RV. I used a "large" Charbroil brand BBQ cover that fit perfectly. I put four grommets on each side of the cover and used small bungies to hold the bottom together. No rust or deterioration do to the elements. Cover held up well also.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a Voltbike Yukon 750 Limited. It was out in the rain etc. on the back of our MH for 7 weeks as we travelled across Canada and back through the states. It survived pretty well except for the area that I rubbed some paint off the rear fender.
Just remember to cover the display with a plastic bag secured with an elastic. They don't like the rain, just ask me.
You can check them out, only sold online. Read the reviews and make up your own mind.
Www.Voltbike.com or in Canada, www.Voltbike.ca
Happy Glamping
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I solved the weather problems with a folding bike. Only weighs 60 lbs and folds to fit in the basement or back of the Jeep. Better featured than most folding e-bikes with 20" wheels, 40 mile range, disc brakes and CVT. From Evelo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evelo.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	244425