Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2022, 09:11 PM   #1
ddm

2003 M-3100SS Double motorcycle carrier

Hi we just purchased a 2003 Forest River 31' Class C. It says the towing capacity is 500/3500lbs. We have two of the newer Honda Monkey bikes that weigh 250lbs each, we are looking to haul them in a double motorcycle carrier on the rear hitch. Seems like we are right at capacity on tongue weight, has anyone else hauled any similar weighted bike around?

I was thinking about trying to find a heavier duty hitch, but I have been reading about the extended frames on the 30' and longer being the actual point of concern.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
ddm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 05:12 AM   #2

I haul motorcycles with a hitch mounted carrier. On a Class C it will be necessary to have the frame inspected, looking at the area where any extension attaches to the original van frame. You need to be sure the extensions are of suitable strength to hold the additional weight of the carrier and cycles, and where they attach to the van frame is adequately supported. Any competent welding shop can perform the inspection and make recommendations on any reinforcement needed.
The carrier itself usually plugs into the hitch receiver. Okay, here is the problem: The receiver type will rock from side to side as you drive down the road. It will be necessary to add some form of support to stop that twisting inside the receiver, and flopping around of the cycles. If those cycles are allowed to flop around they act like a slide hammer and can bend or break the extension frame that supports the back of the motorhome.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:45 AM   #3

Have the welding shop "box" the frame extensions if the hitch is hanging only from the lower flange, assuming the extensions are "C" channels. Add spools between the upper and lower flanges and drill the upper flange so that longer Grade 8 bolts can be inserted to carry the hitch. The spools can be snugly fitting lengths of 3/4" iron pipe. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2022, 07:52 AM   #4

You might be at the vertical load rating of the hitch, but that load will be far rearward of where the hitch was spec'd. So, it's substantially more load on everything than 500lbs of tongue weight on a normal hitch shank. That's why everyone is recommending beefing up.

I never ended up going this route, but I thought about it on my class C. My plan was going to be to add a second receiver hitch to one of the frame rails, and modify the carrier to have a second stinger. This was mostly to reduce the hitch movement like OregonPharme was mentioning--assuming that the weight was handled by the stock hitch, and the extra receiver and stinger was just to remove the sloppiness.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:19 PM   #5
ddm

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think checking the frame and beefing things up are great idea's. I have a friend who operates a muffler and U-Haul shop, they have some good welders on staff. I think I will take it to them and have them check it over. I like the idea of a second hitch in there to keep things stable.

Great suggestions. If I get it squared away I will post some pictures.

Thanks again!
ddm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:43 AM   #6

Motorcycle carrier

I have been hauling around a Honda silverwing 600 cc scooter that weights 580 lbs on a 500 lbs hitch receiver. The carrier is a mototote (mototote.com). It is rated for 600 lbs. after 6000 mi. It worked well, however, we did find some bending in the 4” tube between carrier and receiver. We mounted a second receiver (welded) to the end plate of the hitch bracket and added a 4” tube to extend under the left side of the carrier (drivers side) where the majority of the weight existed from the motor and cvt drive.

More important than the wight was the torque imposed when going over bumps or irregular road surfaces. The bike would tend to “Flop” around side to side. The modification resolved that problem. It also made it more stable when loading the bike. After installation we put on another 25k kms without a hitch :>).

The MH is a 30’ class A. Having the bike extending out the back did change the static level of the coach. We added airbags to compensate. we found they did make a difference to the handling quality ( less side sway when passing trucks (added benefit). It really depends on the weight of the bikes and the distance from the rear axle.

**You need to seriously consider the weight distribution when mounting a large load to the back of the RV. ** The G force or vertical loads over bumps can be considerable.

We chose to have a single scooter for numerous reasons; 1) more stable at higher speeds and we can put on more highway miles with the bike, 2) keep up with traffic, 3) carry more groceries and larger top box, 4) easier to travel with wife and do things together. She was reluctant to drive her own scooter, 5) lot easier to mount and dismount bike. The mototote is a rugged carrier and the design makes it very easy to take on and off.

I much prefer having a scooter over a tow vehicle. So much easier to get around. We virtually forget having it on the back of the motorhome.

As a matter of interest we have put on >18000 KMs on the scooter while travelling and total mileage on the speedometer currently reads 43k KMs. (24k miles).

There is little weight difference between a 400cc scooter or 600cc. With running two up, the added hp does make a difference. A typical day on the bike is between 100 and 250 kms sightseeing. We have even done overnights with it rather than using the MH. We are not full time, maybe 5 months a yr. We also have a couple of folding bikes for running around the parks.

I am surprised more people haven’t considered a scooter. Btw I do have a ruckus.

I would consider a 150cc scooter if and when we might decide to downsize. The 600 can be handful at times. I am 79 this year

Hope this helps.

Bob
ve3nab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No way would I attempt to hang that much weight on the back of a 31' class C. A 31' unit had had extensions added to the frame by the manufacturer and most likely will not handle that much weight added to the bumper. You have not considered the weight of the hitch mounted carrier which will put you well over the 500# rating.

Another issue is adding weight to the rear bumper will unload the front axle (think see-saw), changing the alignment geometry and cause poor handling. If you have to carry your scooters, get a small utility trailer and haul them on the trailer.

We had a 31' class C and just carrying water in the freshwater tank, which was under the bed in the back, it caused the front axle to unload enough that driving was not easy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor