Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
2011 BERKSHIRE Question

I am interested to know how 2011 Berkshire owners are satisfied with their coach. Specifically, I wanted to know if anyone has had any problems and how they were addressed.
RVBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #2

Numerous issues some triffleing, some serious, all annoying. So far the dealer has handled all complaints to my satisfaction with a smile. I have no issues with the dealer at all. (The service manager is a prince and goes out of his way to keep me happy. Arbogast in Dayton Ohio if you are interested) .

In my opinion, FR has not developed their quality control function. When seat controls are wired backwards as are electric sun screens no one is checking these coaches before they leave the factory. Of my issues the reversed seat controls falls into the annoying group and a broken gas fitting in the oven falls into the hazardous group. Everything else is somewhere in between.

Glad to discuss if you like. I can give you some things to check based on my experience.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #3

We just purchased a 2011 Berkshire 390QS but have not yet taken possesion of it. I too was wondering about the above. I do know however that all have their own set of problems and we are thinking that as long as the engine and basic make up is sound we are good to go...or not?
BTW-Merry Christmas
bobw103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I have had a few problems with my coach probably a few more then normal but i must say that forest river has been great with resolving the problems i hope they continue time will tell
RVBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw103 View Post
We just purchased a 2011 Berkshire 390QS but have not yet taken possesion of it. I too was wondering about the above. I do know however that all have their own set of problems and we are thinking that as long as the engine and basic make up is sound we are good to go...or not?
BTW-Merry Christmas
As you pointed out, expect issues, I have read that every coach, regardless of the builder, has problems or quirks that need fixed. They are complex vehicles.

The service manager at your dealer can make or break your experience. Get to know him/her as soon as you can and spend some time letting them get to know you. Hang out for a while if you can manage it.

I do recommend some weekend outings close to home to shake down the problems. Try everything several times. Then, have some fun.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #6

We have a 2011 Berkshire 390bh. We're on our second year with the coach and have had no major problems with the unit at all. We tend to use the rig on long distance trips mostly and find it is a great unit, comfortable to drive and to use. We travel with our 14 year old twins and sometimes with my in-laws along with us. Again, we have had no issues other than minor annoyances. When I look at some much more expensive rigs than ours and see issues like cracked roof radiuses, delaminating sidewalls, and cracked end caps, I am really happy with our decision to buy the Berkshire. We purchased from Buffalo RV (RVOne or RVDirect) and they have been super to deal with.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We have a 2011 Berkshire 390bh. We're on our second year with the coach and have had no major problems with the unit at all. We tend to use the rig on long distance trips mostly and find it is a great unit, comfortable to drive and to use. We travel with our 14 year old twins and sometimes with my in-laws along with us. Again, we have had no issues other than minor annoyances. When I look at some much more expensive rigs than ours and see issues like cracked roof radiuses, delaminating sidewalls, and cracked end caps, I am really happy with our decision to buy the Berkshire. We purchased from Buffalo RV (RVOne or RVDirect) and they have been super to deal with.

Tell me more......, please. This unit is on our list to check out. What kind of aeting are do you have in it? Bunks comfortable? Too small?....
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Tell me more......, please. This unit is on our list to check out. What kind of aeting are do you have in it? Bunks comfortable? Too small?....
The bunks in the Berkshire are larger than the other rigs we looked at. When we travel with just our kids we use the master bedroom and the kids are in the bunks. When my wife's parents come with us we let them have the bedroom and we fold out the air mattress on the couch and use that. Last summer we did two weeks in Maine and the Maritimes with the six of us travelling together. All was well other than my father in law has weird political leanings!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wow just picked up my 36fws 3/2 seems great ...full wall slide the motor is a ISB 340 hmmm is this a good motor...cummings is the best deisel I believe but I was suprised to hear it comes with a 3 yr 75k not the 5 yr 100k hmmmm ..milage is great so far...13/14 mpg ....suprised to see the bedroom has no heat ducks...and only one a/c has a heat strip....pleanty of ducks in the ceiling for th a/c.....the dealer is the best as we have some small issues I expect will be fixed sooon...the 5k rebate has to be filed by the owners not the dealer...suprised to hear that....overall the unit drives like a dream ***ok power ....really seems fine however I will report after my fla trip as i am out of jersey and have to drive more!!.. mistyvalleyacres@aol.com jim/lorraine
jponyboyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Taxman what motor do you have??...has this ISB 6.7 been in the rigs for long???..340
jponyboyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #11

Jpony, I've got the 340. It's adequate for the most part. When we first got the rig we went to Branson, MO and there are some real rolling hills out there. They were a straight shot so you could roll pretty fast going down but the climb would slow us down pretty quickly. This is the only time it has bothered me. If you have ever come up I-77 north from Charlotte up over Fancy Gap you'll know what that climb is like and we stayed over 50 mph coming up that long rise so it does have enough guts to do what we would want it to. I haven't tried it with a toad yet. We may equip our MKX to tow and I'll see how that works for power but I don't anticipate any problems.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #12

Can anyone tell me what the curb weight on the 340hp model. There is only 5k of weight left from the gross and combined.
27,910 lbs. gross
32,910 lbs. combined.

Thanks,
Chris
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Can anyone tell me what the curb weight on the 340hp model. There is only 5k of weight left from the gross and combined.
27,910 lbs. gross
32,910 lbs. combined.

Thanks,
Chris
Different models have different cargo carrying capacity and Berkshire uses the 340 HP as the base engine in all their models, (though you can get an upgrade to the 360 HP engine).

I think I can help though because in a conversation with Berkshire about CCC I was told that none of their models left the factory with less than 3400 lbs of CCC. One or more models actually had more. So I think you can be comfortable that if its a 2012 model Berkshire diesel, you have 3400 pounds of cargo carrying capacity.

Gary
Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thinking that the 5000 pound weight difference is the towing weight of the hitch that is attached.