Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 - wow!

Just picked up an Isata 5 36DS & am on the journey home. Wanted to start a thread on it since I can't find any other discussion on it whatsoever! I was nervous buying sight unseen, but did a lot of research on the Dynamax brand and felt comfortable enough with the quality. This is our 4th motorhome so most all systems and features I'm already familiar with. For the price, this is hands down above and beyond its peers! After having a DP, I couldn't go back to a gasser, but we wanted a C class to have a comfortable 2nd bed for guests with a bit of privacy. So far, I'm VERY happy with the quality and features. PDI was a breeze with only a few squawks that were immediately fixed by National RV Detroit (highly recommend them!!).

Beyond the normal features one would be accustomed to in a modern class C, let me list a few things that I love about this coach:
-Affordable diesel! Monster power from this Dodge Ram chassis. Very comfortable and even has exhaust brake.
-Amazing quality full body paint. The detail is beautiful.
-huge windows allow for lots of light and great views
-Love the master control touchscreen panel. Monitor & manipulate nearly all controls from one panel.
-USB ports everywhere! All LED light bulbs too. Thank you Dynamax.
-Lots of other thoughtful little upgrades I wasn't even expecting at this price point like 360 siphon vents on tank vents up top, full-featured Maxx-air vent fans, Jack tv antenna, built in home theater speakers in ceiling, auto gen start, and 200W solar package (albeit last one was factory option).

As with everything in life, there are a few negatives too:
-no right side armrest on drivers seat. Feels awkward, hopefully I'll get used to it or maybe I can rig something up.
-If you have a big gut, don't plan on getting to rear bedroom with slide in, it's very narrow.
-once squeezed through, bedroom door hits mattress. Only way I can get in is lifting corner of mattress up.
-no privacy curtain for bed over cab. Will rig my own up though.
-no privacy shade over entry door, this seems like it should be standard on every single motorhome. Currently have bath towel hanging over it until I figure out something permanent.

I was an inch away from purchasing a Seneca for a lot more money, but was not too happy with the quality of the coach itself. This is significantly less money for (IMHO) a better quality interior. Nice job Dynamax.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461116660.682230.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	124670
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461117720.543010.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	124678

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461117747.322797.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	124679

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461117790.625631.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	124680
Love the armless awning with LED lights. The awning comes down to about a 6' height so it will actually block some afternoon sun, unlike any other awning I've had previously.

2012 Entegra Aspire
2013 Wrangler JKU toad
2006 Vans RV-9A
Old 04-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461117974.380266.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	124682

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461118001.896529.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	124685

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461118021.589628.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	124686

2017 Dynamax Isata 5
2013 Wrangler JKU toad
2006 Vans RV-9A
Old 04-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Congratulations! Very impressive rig and I love the Ram chassis. Since I'm currently shopping for something similar, would like to hear about your MPG and handling on the road.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
Congratulations! Very impressive rig and I love the Ram chassis. Since I'm currently shopping for something similar, would like to hear about your MPG and handling on the road.
Only driven 300 miles so far, but got 9.5mpg at average cruise speed of 70. Coming from a tag axle DP, I was concerned about how the handling would be. Have also owned gas class C and gas Class A, both of which got blown around easily by semi's and the wind. I was shocked at how well this one handles. Couldn't even tell when semi's would occasionally pass me.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #6

Looks absolutely fantastic. Looking forward to your impressions as you get to use it.
Toad98110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #7

Looks great and love the awning, happy travels!!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Very nice! I saw the Isata 5 at the Pomona RV show last year and was very impressed. I'm glad to see the Ram CTD is being used in the RV market. I think it is a great platform!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #9

I, too, am glad to see your impressions of this rig. I have been waffling about going all out on the unknown (Isata 5), or getting a less expensive Class C with the thought of trading up in a few years. I'm new to the market as a whole, but I am a Dodge (Ram) girl from way back. And I really don't like buying repeatedly - I'd rather buy and hold. So tell us everything!
Redcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Only driven 300 miles so far, but got 9.5mpg at average cruise speed of 70. Coming from a tag axle DP, I was concerned about how the handling would be. Have also owned gas class C and gas Class A, both of which got blown around easily by semi's and the wind. I was shocked at how well this one handles. Couldn't even tell when semi's would occasionally pass me.
Have you had it weighed yet..? Does it have a solid turn radius ? Also how is the power ... Close to the DP tag you had?.. Considerably better than a gas class a? .. Is it pretty easy to maneuver ? Sorry about the mountain of questions.. Im a bit of an information junkie .. Appreciate any info and updates on the mpg and other things on the coach.. Have a great day
Troll Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Oh sorry... Two more... Is the engine break pretty effective downhill... And are those MPG numbers with your tow... Sorry again. Ty
Old 05-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Killer View Post
Have you had it weighed yet..? Does it have a solid turn radius ? Also how is the power ... Close to the DP tag you had?.. Considerably better than a gas class a? .. Is it pretty easy to maneuver ? Sorry about the mountain of questions.. Im a bit of an information junkie .. Appreciate any info and updates on the mpg and other things on the coach.. Have a great day
Have not had it weighed.
Turn radius is so-so, nothing to write home about (but i'm coming from a DP with a better turn radius)
The power is awesome, very similar to the DP tag I had. I could never go back to a gasser. It's night and day difference.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Killer View Post
Oh sorry... Two more... Is the engine break pretty effective downhill... And are those MPG numbers with your tow... Sorry again. Ty
The engine brake is very effective, it has 2 settings as well. It's not super strong but its perfect for maintaining constant speed on downhills.
The MPG was with no tow. I haven't towed the jeep yet.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #14

Quote:
The engine brake is very effective, it has 2 settings as well. It's not super strong but its perfect for maintaining constant speed on downhills.
The MPG was with no tow. I haven't towed the jeep yet.
Thank you for your info... It says it is rated to tow up to 10klbs... But during the origional post by the owner(or at least an official) of dynamax on that model. It only had 1500lbs of carrying capacity .... So even without towing you have to go on skeleton supplies and run your tanks empty(he didn't say this sentence)... I was hoping you had weighed it... But IF it is only 1500lbs.. You couldn't tow anything that had a tongue weight lol