Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #1

2019 FR3 steering issue

I bought a 2019 FR3 new and it has a problem staying between the lines on the road. I have only put about 1600 miles on it due to the Covid issues. On the few trips I have made it is apparent there is an issue keeping it in the lane. It wears me out by the time I get where I'm going. Should it get windy it really gets scary. Someone told me I should get it aligned and I did this a few days ago. The mechanic said it wasn't out of alignment much and I agreed after driving it home. Wasn't much difference!!!! Help!! Has anyone else experienced this issue (floating or swaying) and can offer me some advice? If I don't get this corrected ( I might have to leave the wife at home!!!!). I have issues with my rotator cuff so It wears me out driving 300 to 400 miles but with the issues I'm experiencing with my motorhome it is terrible. So I would appreciate any help or ideas anyone has. I also forgot to mention I have owned 3 class A motorhomes ,2 class c motorhomes and 3 or 4 travel trailers and I never experienced issues like this. So any information anyone has will be very much appreciated. Thanks
gerrygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #2

Why so long to post your problems?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #3

Is that a F-53 chassis? If so, do the CHF, Cheap Handling Fix. Do a search in here, you will find it. I added a Safe T Plus stabilizer on mine. The two made a big difference in my steering. I see the FR3 quite often around here. It's not fun if your rig wears you out. I love driving mine.
More replies are coming on your question. Probably dozens. Good luck.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #4

I just bought it new a little over a year ago and with covid issue it has been parked for 11 months. Ive only put about 1500 hundred miles on it. 2 short trips.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check your air pressures. Over inflation can cause this problem as well.

Hope this helps.

John
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #6

Curious which GVWR chassis and wheelbase you have?
What air pressures are you running in your tires?
Is there a factory steering stabilizer on your coach?
Are you traveling fully loaded with full freshwater tank? ...or traveling very light?
How fast are you driving?
Interstates or backroads?
Windy day?
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #7

I added 4-degrees of shim to the left leaf spring, the caster adjustment made a big difference in the way it tracks. I’ve done no other mods, including the CHF, as I am concerned about degrading the classic box truck ride any further.
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #8

I have a Leprechaun class C 319mb. Before coachmen added the ride rite( 80 psi) to the rear of their rv’s, I had the same problem. Also, per their recommendations, the dually tires have 80 psi and fronts are 75psi.

I just had an alignment and I agree that it helped a little. Also, added Sumo springs to the front which also helped the side to side movement while in the wind or with trucks passing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1426.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	328877

Going to get Roadmaster steering stabilizer in June. I will let you know how it goes in my thread “ Little ideas for my Leprechaun 319mb”

Caliwish
Caliwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygambler View Post
Someone told me I should get it aligned and I did this a few days ago. The mechanic said it wasn't out of alignment much and I agreed after driving it home. Wasn't much difference!!!!
Did you get the PDF of the before and after for the alignment? If so please post it here. The F-53 alignment specs are fairly wide and designed to minimize tire wear and not necessarily for best drivability.

Presuming the alignment is optimized for driving, which an experienced motorhome alignment tech can do but a plain old alignment shop may not know how to do, your problem is not at all uncommon.

Is one issue that the motorhome will not track straight and that you have to continually make steering wheel inputs?

Is another that there is a lot of sway, which you seem to have described as "floating"?

Is another that passing trucks seem to shove you one way and then the other as they pass?

How much mechanical ability do you have? That will determine whether you can do some of the improvements yourself or whether you will need to pay someone.

What exact model of FR3 do you have?

For background, what other Class A motorhomes did you own and did you buy them new or used? If used, they may have had some of the suspension add-ons already installed.

Ray
Old 05-21-2021, 02:15 PM   #10

steering issue

My GVWR is 18,000 lb
Old 11-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #11

Hello. I know this is an older post, but wanted to share what I did with my FR3 2020 DS30 regarding steering. When I purchased it I had the dealership install the SafeT stabilizer unit. I did 2 road trips and after doing research via the irv2 website, I had front and rear sway bars installed. What a BIG difference. No more white knuckle driving!
EGRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:06 AM   #12

I had a safe T plus installed as well because the Roadmaster was on back order. Combined with the front Sumos and rear Ride Rite air bags, I am very pleased. We did a 2700 mile round trip and I felt well rested after sometimes 8 hour days of driving.

Caliwish
Caliwish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering