Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #1

2019 Salem 26DBLE Waste Tank Orders

I am a new member. We are in our 13th year of RVing and we purchased our Salem 26DBLE three years ago.

There has been a long list of small manufacturing quality issues from the very beginning. But this one has me asking WHY?

From the beginning we have been experiencing waste tank orders in the RV. I clean the tank after every trip. Nothing but clear water flowing out when I am done. I add about 5 gallons of water with a bio pack and all is good until the next trip. After the first few uses on the next trip the smell comes back.

I finally found a discussion about the soil pipe being plugged. So, I climbed up and remove the cap to the pipe and this is what I found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0968[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	338539

Someone was too lazy to cut all the roofing material completely away to allow a good venturi effect to occur when air passes under the cap and above the pipe. Also, there are large, unsealed, gaps around the pipe allowing gases (small critters?) into the attic of the coach.

I cut the material away in the hope it will resolve the issue. I am concerned that the pipe is too short for the venturi effect to work and the gases still make their way into the coach.

If this does work then I will add some screen material to deter critters. If not, then maybe, if I have enough pipe to work with, I’ll try the Camco Cyclone vent. Anyone use these? Like/Don’ t like?

Why do I feel that quality control is an unknown concept within RV manufacturing in general?

Anyway, thanks for letting me ‘vent’.
Dragon30Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #2

Now that you have removed the excess roof material you should grab the pipe (pliers/vice grips) and PULL on it.
If vent pipe has slipped down into tank you can raise it up level with roof line
Then secure it with couple wood screws thru pipe into roof sheeting and then caulk around pipe to seal off attic area

*many mfgs use a slip gasket on vent pipe entrance to waste tank

IF---IF mfg glued vent pipe to fitting on tank and you can not PULL it up then get a coupling and glue it to end of vent pipe ...cut off excess so it is just at/below roof line *measure twice/cut once ---allow for distance the pipe will go into coupling

Hopefully that will get rid of the odors---but you could order a 360* vent cap too
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #3

Thanks Old_Biscuit

I will check to see if the pipe has dropped and use the coupling idea if it hasn't.

As for caulking around the pipe. The on one side gap exceeds 1". Looks like they eyeballed the location and used a sawzall. I may have to find some material I can used with the caulk to cover the gap.

I also nee to check the gray water vent.

Thanks again!
Dragon30Feet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale, tank