Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
again, WRONG! the slides are NOT operated with the Chassis 12v battery(s), but by the House 6v batteries - operating the slides would have NOTHING to do with cranking the engine!
Every coach is different, but on my coach the chassis battery operates the slides, jacks and steps. The manufacturer recommends running the engine when operating the slides/jacks. When I replaced the chassis battery, my slides worked again. I WISH the house batteries operated the slides, but they definitely do not.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 04:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
if you have an AUX button/switch on your dash area, it ties together all the batteries, both the Chassis 12v and the House 6v batteries, in order to either crank the Engine, or the Generator, or operate the Slides, etc. in the event one set of batteries is low.

When you are plugged into shore power, the 6v House batteries are recharged by the Charger, but the Chassis 12v 'engine' batteries are not affected - they are charged only by the alternator while cranked/driving. Only some larger coaches, like your previous diesel model, provides a connection between the two.
You'll also find that your Inverter typically provides 120v power, when off grid, to your fridge only. Larger coaches, especially diesels, have inverters providing 120v power to everything in the coach, including outlets, fridge, microwave, water heater, tvs, etc., which is one of the differences/advantages of larger coaches.
I'm not sure I would call a big inverter an advantage. It can suck the biggest battery banks dry in a couple of hours of careless use. Microwave, water heater and vacuum cleaner come to mind.

Yes, I know the water heater, like the A/C is probably not connected to the inverter output. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:57 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Every coach is different, but on my coach the chassis battery operates the slides, jacks and steps. The manufacturer recommends running the engine when operating the slides/jacks. When I replaced the chassis battery, my slides worked again. I WISH the house batteries operated the slides, but they definitely do not.
It should be relatively easy to switch that over to the house bank, depending on your wiring layout. On many coaches all that is necessary is to move the power lead for the slides from the chassis post to the house post on the battery control center. It generally has its own, in-line fuse anyway.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #18

Not sure why you would want the high amp draw, of slides and jacks on the house bank. Leave it on the start battery and just start the engine.

That gets the alternator output and the house bank in the picture when the isolation solenoid closes. Thats better then drawing down your already depleted house bank and running your pump motors at lower voltage, after boondocking.

Same with the generator. I would wake up to low batteries and hear the generator crank slow and kick out my inverter. I moved the generator to the fresh, unused, start battery, and it cranks much faster.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no telling why manufacturers do one or the other. Either way, a simple push of the boost switch solves the problem. Used to start my genny with depleted house batteries by boosting.

Generally leave my engine running when using the jacks, but my slides are locked out with the ignition on.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery