Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Below grade quality on Encounter 36bh

I would not recommend Coachmen to anyone after our experience with our 2012 Encounter 36bh. We sold our home last Sept and purchased this coach to travel in full time for the next year or two. After spending the last 4 months in it in Florida we have changed our mind!!!
Just a few of the issues we have had:

A leak in the kitchen faucet- which led to water flooding the kitchen floor while we were sleeping and made the "PAPER" covering on cabinet bottom peel off. Basement bin also got wet.

The toilet continues to run water in after flushing, which resulted in flooding the coach while we were sleeping.( We always try to remember to pull lever up with our foot after flushing!)

The shower head leaked and had to be replaced.
Replaced all screws in the shower due to rust.

The kitchen table is screwed to the THIN wall with no reinforcement to hold it in and all the screws pulled away from the wall.
I had to pay for replacement foam for the dinette booth cushions which were all sagging and looked old after one month and had to install it ourselves. (Coachmen rep told me to call furniture manufacture myself)
The warped Corrianne counter top cover for stove. Which Terri (sales person) said is like that in all of them. (that doesn't make it right)
The air-conditioner cools well but does not want to shut off when running and keeps kicking right back on. (sometimes but not all the time)
The furnace ducting makes horrible noises when running. (We think it is due to the metal duct material heating and cooling)
The floor in front of fireplace has loud squeak whenever we step on it.
Staples are wearing thru the bedroom carpet.

Finish is wearing off the bathroom door edges. ( Probably paper covering too like kitchen cabinets.)

Wall paper is wrinkled all along wall behind bathroom sink faucet.

Poor design in cabinet for direct tv receiver- above tv.You have to keep the cabinet open all the time to change stations.
Poor design in silverware drawer- can't fit any divider trays in to divide silverware. Just have to throw it all in together. (Too narrow)

Cheap front windshield curtain that doesn't even have a lining and allows sun to shine thru.

Had to buy 4 inch foam topper for bed to make comfortable.
The water heater pressure release valve leaks a lot at times and none at other times. Should it do this??

Additional problems on way home from Florida in March 2012
Both the driver side and passenger side slider windows rattled non stop on the way home. Could not get them to stop no matter what.
Loud wind noise around windshield when driving against the wind.
When cruise controll is on MHO shifts too hard and revs up the engine.
Husband says MHO needs stabilizer bars so he doesn't have to keep fighting to keep straight even when not windy.

We have contacted our dealer to get our coach in for repairs since we are back home now but they are not taking any responsibility in the below grade quality. They say they sent e-mail to Coachmen factory rep and have not heard back. Also said all other Coachmen owners love their coaches with no problems. Hmmmm I guess we are just lucky.
dilarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #2

Good luck with your coachmen, but believe me it happens to all brands. I have had serious problems with winnies and high end thors. Just enjoy it when all the bugs are taken care of. jim w.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
dilarson, sorry to hear the problems with the coach. The problems you are encountering are not untypical of an entry level coach which is not meant for full timing. A fulltime coach is built using all wood cabinets, better insulation and better plumbing fixtures. They cost more for a reason....and they are heavier.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you have had so many problems with your Coachmen. I hope you can get it fixed to satisfaction. Good luck to you.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #5

Wow, that new and all those problems. Quality control is lacking and the cheap materials and fixtures are now showing. Unless they gave it to you that's unacceptable. I'd fight like heck to at least get some of it fixed.

I guess they don't make them like they use to. I had a 1990 Holiday Rambler Imperial and after 21 years it still looked great and had all org. parts working well. Good luck.
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know it takes time out of the schedule but being it is that new it for sure would be back to the manufacturer to repairing things that have to be under warranty. Sure doesn't sound like the workmanship we had way back in 1976 with our Class C. I thought that unit was put together very well. Of course looking at a couple very late model units at an rv show sure turned me off especially when pulling out a drawer only to have the draw front in my hand and the body still in it's place. Carefully layed the front on the counter and said whoops. Hope you get your issues resolved though. Good Luck for sure.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

When we purchased our Rockwood, we knew that we'd wind up replacing some of the materials used. There is a reason our unit is labeled "ultra light." In fact, my DH spent most of the day yesterday reinforcing all of the shelves in our unit because they are so thin. We knew we weren't buying a Mercedez Benz on our Chevrolet budget. My DH is very handy and fix just about any problem that arises. We've only been to our dealer once in the past year to get a minor stereo problem taken care of.

If I had as many problems as you did, I would be camped out at my dealer, and also calling customer service at Forest River to get the issues resolved. A squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #8

They continually make these
red raby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, quality