Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #1

Berkshire

Does anyone have any experiences/opinions as to the quality/reliability/issues on a 2014 to 2017 forest river Berkshire or Charleston?
They look like they may be thor quality stuff but I figured I would ask to see others experiences.

Thanks.
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Seems like it’s going the wrong direction in build quality and construction style and methods, and with all the emissions problems I’m having with my 2016, I am wishing I had something with pre-2010 emissions. I bought my coach to enjoy and the emissions issues are seriously impacting that. I’m just glad it’s a well built, nicely appointed Newmar or it would really be a disappointment. I looked at a new Berkshire briefly because the of the price point, but Id rather have a used Newmar or a Tiffin than a new Forest River. I’m sure the Berkshire is every bit Thor quality. They certainly look nice on the dealer lot. The question is durability and all-weather comfort and performance.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #3

Anything emissions related is a Cummins issue and will be there no matter who built the coach. As for choosing, I would go by what you see when comparing in person and not what people say on these forums. If I listened to what people said here, I would never have bought our Mirada, but it has turned out to be the most problem free RV we have ever owned.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Anything emissions related is a Cummins issue and will be there no matter who built the coach. As for choosing, I would go by what you see when comparing in person and not what people say on these forums. If I listened to what people said here, I would never have bought our Mirada, but it has turned out to be the most problem free RV we have ever owned.
On emissions I was referring to the year built, not the mfgr. Note his current rig is a 2009, hence DEF free, and if 2007 emissions, which a lot of 2009’s have, DFP free as well. It’s a big deal and I am currently looking for the right 2009. If I find it my lovely 2016 Ventana is going to a new owner.

On the builder issue, not many would dispute that the OP’s current rig is built to a higher standard than those he’s listed as possible replacements. Especially the Dutch Aire - Spartan Mountain Master chassis, IFS, side radiator, ISL, Comfort Drive, 2 stage, compression brake 150 gal fuel tank....just no comparison.

Add to that the higher quality cabinets, R values in the roof and walls, the furniture, and Newmar’s workmanship. The Berkshire may look pretty on the lot, but it isn’t the same class coach. Not slamming the Berkshire or other FR coaches, they’re just in a different market.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #5

Thanks for all the input.
I agree the emissions systems are annoying to an extent. Our 2009 has no def but it does have a dpf, which is still annoying.
But we love our 2009 newmar, its a solid coach and we don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon. My original post was looking for insight as I had a friend who was considering buying one.
Sounds like it might not be the best quality.
The one he was looking at sold anyway, so might be looking for something else of a better name. Maybe newmar or entegra.
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Old 01-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The emissions are more than annoying if yours are malfunctioning. I’m not talking about the occasional regen or adding DEF. I’m talking about being stranded, waiting for parts, expensive repairs if you’re out of warranty, etc.

I’m currently stuck waiting a month for an appointment to have mine worked on for the third time. Also left me stranded over Thanksgiving and Christmas. DEF headers are at gen 6 and are still not reliable. DEF itself can be damaged by heat/cold, shelf life in the box, and minor contamination at the pump. I could go on and on - it’s serious.

Enough so that when I saw an 09 Monaco with 07 emissions I was going to buy it, get mine fixed, and then sell it. But the Monaco sold fast - 39’ ,Tag, 500hp, lots of options. Nice coach.

So I’m going to keep trying with mine. If filed with the NHTSA, written Reps and Senators, RVIA, etc. Squeaky wheel and all that. But for now I would recommend against any DP with SCR/DPF/DEF unless it’s under warranty - at least the emissions warranty or 5 years/100k miles.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
The emissions are more than annoying if yours are malfunctioning. I’m not talking about the occasional regen or adding DEF. I’m talking about being stranded, waiting for parts, expensive repairs if you’re out of warranty, etc.

I’m currently stuck waiting a month for an appointment to have mine worked on for the third time. Also left me stranded over Thanksgiving and Christmas. DEF headers are at gen 6 and are still not reliable. DEF itself can be damaged by heat/cold and minor contamination at the pump. I could go on and on - it’s serious.

Enough so that when I saw an 09 Monaco with 07 emissions I was going to buy it, get mine fixed, and then sell it. But the Monaco sold fast - 39’ ,Tag, 500hp, lots of options. Nice coach.

So I’m going to keep trying with mine. If filed with the NHTSA, written Reps and Senators, RVIA, etc. Squeaky wheel and all that. But for now I would recommend against any DP with SCR/DPF/DEF unless it’s under warranty - at least the emissions warranty or 5 years/100k miles.
Wow. I am having some engine codes related to my dpf, but nothing left me completely stranded yet.
Have you considered deleting the emissions system? It seems to be a common thing to do among modern diesel owners and seems to be much worth while. That way you can get the advantages of a pre emissions engine while still having a newer coach.

Sorry to hear about your scr issues, im sure it isn't fun at all.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb1 View Post
Wow. I am having some engine codes related to my dpf, but nothing left me completely stranded yet.
Have you considered deleting the emissions system? It seems to be a common thing to do among modern diesel owners and seems to be much worth while. That way you can get the advantages of a pre emissions engine while still having a newer coach.

Sorry to hear about your scr issues, im sure it isn't fun at all.
That would be a last resort as there is a cost involved with that too, and it would decrease the value of the coach and impact resale possibilities. On the other hand, I can buy a lot in a state with so inspections cheaper than a spare DEF header, so....

Hopefully this next go-round will result in either a reliable repair, or an extended emissions warranty. I’ll know more by the end of the month. My emissions warranty expires at the end of April so I’ll be doing a lot of driving before that, always within easy reach of a Freightliner shop

Anyway that’s why I mentioned emissions and why I couldn’t get too excited about anything from about 2011 to 2019. You need a good long emissions warranty and good road service coverage for anything that runs DEF, regardless of the manufacturer as TeamFoxy pointed out.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
That would be a last resort as there is a cost involved with that too, and it would decrease the value of the coach and impact resale possibilities. On the other hand, I can buy a lot in a state with so inspections cheaper than a spare DEF header, so....

Hopefully this next go-round will result in either a reliable repair, or an extended emissions warranty. I’ll know more by the end of the month. My emissions warranty expires at the end of April so I’ll be doing a lot of driving before that, always within easy reach of a Freightliner shop

Anyway that’s why I mentioned emissions and why I couldn’t get too excited about anything from about 2011 to 2019. You need a good long emissions warranty and good road service coverage for anything that runs DEF, regardless of the manufacturer as TeamFoxy pointed out.
If you ask me the government has put these terrible regulations upon us, they should provide manufacturers with the means to provide extended/lifetime warranties for the emissions. Imho its crazy how the make laws and then put it upon the citizens and businesses to pay for the increased expenses because of the laws.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:54 PM   #10

I have had a 2018 and 2019 DP and have had zero issues with emissions. My 2019 Berkshire XLT has been excellent from the beginning.. Only issue in a year and a half is my outside TV quit. The factory said buy a new one and we will pay for it. Good enough for me. I used to own a Tiffin Zephyr for 6 years. Yes the flag ship. It had so many problems I won't go into it. Even the factory couldn't fix the leaking roof. And yes I talked to Bob Tiffin about the coach. All coaches can have issues. The XLT is out 10th over the last 28 years. Loving it.
zb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:08 PM   #11

It’s odd you’re slamming Forest River and the Berkshire, when you can’t even get out of your driveway with your high-end coach.