Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Brand New Trailer, Mold all under bedroom floor

We purchased a brand new 2020 Forest River Sierra 403rd Destination trailer [Mod Edit] on October 15th, 2020. At the closing while doing the walk through we saw orange staining on the bedroom floor under the window. The dealer acknowledged this, assured us that it was the glue for the linoleum and will replace that section, about 8ft by 2 ft after the coach is delivered to our site in Cleveland GA. I was concerned because I told them I thought this looks more like water damage. They convinced me it wasn't and the unit was delivered. It took 2 months to get the replacement linoleum. The dealer sent out a private contractor to replace the damaged linoleum. When the tech removed the linoleum, it was obvious this was water damage with heavy black mold spread beyond just the obvious damage. The dealer will pick up the coach tomorrow and assures me this will be corrected. However my concern is, we are talking about heavy black mold, unknown source of the leak and because this is a 2020 model brand new, how long was it exposed to the elements and the source of the problem. I really don't know what my legal rights are, but Forest River delivered [Mod Edit] a brand new RV full of mold. I really think that this unit should be sent back to Forest River, not dealer [Mod Edit] and a replacement model should be sent to me. I don't think I will ever feel safe in this RV not knowing the source nor assured all the mold has been mitigated.
I guess I'm asking our members of this forum to forward me their opinion and what might be my legal rights.
I thank you all for reading through this,

Bob
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #2

Rescind acceptance of the RV.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Can I do this despite I own it now for 2 months.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #4

Did you contact Sierra about this, I would not count on the dealer to handle this.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/conta...gionSelected=1

If by chance you do not get anywhere this way you could try option#2

https://forestriverfrog.com/ContactUs.aspx
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #5

Assuming no ongoing leak, the mold is easy to treat. Goto homedepot, buy concorbium and spray...

I’ve dealt with mold in buildings for years. Mold only grows with ongoing water entry and moisture...

Maybe in a really humid environment might be different...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:35 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
When the tech came and lifted the vinyl it was obvious there is an active leak. That leak has been going on long before I purchased this unit as brand new. They picked up the trailer Thursday but I haven't heard a word. I contacted the CEO of the dealership. The forum moderator removed the name of the dealer, but the CEO is the famous Marcus Lemonis. He helped me out years ago when I owned a coach with deteriorating leather on all the furniture. 20 minutes after emailing him, his rep called me and told me not to worry, they were on it and advising Forest River of the problem. I don't think I will ever accept that they found the source of the leak without physically seeing it. I don't want to discover a year from now they were wrong and the same problem just pops up again. I had plenty of experience dealing with mold in buildings years ago. Clorox and white pigmented alcohol based shellac worked miracles. However this mold is well beyond that. The sub floor is soft and mushy. I'll keep this forum posted as we progress. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #7

Mold in the floor means the plywood will be rotten, the insulation in the floor is soaked and everything needs to be torn out and replaced.

Back out of the deal if possible.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #8

Brand New Trailer, Mold all under bedroom floor

I just bought a used coach from a dealer, “as is” of course. I had a fear of any leaks so I had it inspected specifically for that. I bought it and after getting it home, I found a significant soft spot in the kitchen floor and the bedroom floor along with an obvious leak when it rains, coming from the slide. I am considering suing the dealer and the inspector, except the dealer was in one state and the inspection was done in an adjacent state.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
I just bought a used coach from a dealer, “as is” of course. I had a fear of any leaks so I had it inspected specifically for that. I bought it and after getting it home, I found a significant soft spot in the kitchen floor and the bedroom floor along with an obvious leak when it rains, coming from the slide. I am considering suing the dealer and the inspector, except the dealer was in one state and the inspection was done in an adjacent state.
You won’t get far suing...

As-is means as-is, unless there was a separate warranty that no leaks exist. Inspectors have liability clauses in their reports that limit liability to a refund of their fee...

At least that’s how it works with home sales, unless RV’s are different...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, trailer