Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Breaking system for towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

I am looking at the "Blue Ox BRK2012 Patriot Portable Brake System" for the braking assist on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I will be towing this Jeep with the FR Georgetown XL.

I would really appreciate if you could share your experience of this product or an advice of another product that would work with my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Many thanks in advance.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went for the RViBrake2 system. it responds a little faster than the brake buddy and lighter/easier to store.

so far so good on mine but I've only been across state with it so far.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Jeep Grand Cherokee I installed the M&G Dingy Brake System.
I think it is the most reliable, fast & easy 10 second hook-up and best unit on the market.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
On my Jeep Grand Cherokee I installed the M&G Dingy Brake System.
I think it is the most reliable, fast & easy 10 second hook-up and best unit on the market.
Thank Subford for your information.

What is your towing apparatus?

I was planning to use the Blue OX, but it seems that to install the base plate for the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a chore. I am looking for something that reliable but easy to install. Do you have any recommendation?
Old 07-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I went for the RViBrake2 system. it responds a little faster than the brake buddy and lighter/easier to store.

Thank Brad, I will look into it to see how easy to install this.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used the Blue OxAcclaim Tow Bar along with the Blue Ox base plate for my 1999 WJ (Grand Cherokee Laredo).

I already had the
Acclaim Tow Bar and brake air compressor on the RV from towing My Ford Bronco 2 so I just had to buy the base plate for the Jeep and the braking system for it.

I do not think I have any photos of putting the base plate on as it seemed pretty simple.
I do have photos of putting the braking system on and diagrams of how I wired the tail lamps for the Jeep.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post

I just look at some video from RViBrake2, it seems that there is no installation of complex wiring other than set up the box on the vehicle floor, then plugs it into the 12v cigarette lighter. The box will sense the movement of the vehicle and brake accordingly, nothing is connected to the RV, is that right or I am looking at a wrong installation video?

If the system does not connect to the RV, how does it sense the light braking of the RV when going downhill?
Old 07-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
I used the Blue OxAcclaim Tow Bar along with the Blue Ox base plate for my 1999 WJ (Grand Cherokee Laredo).

I already had the
Acclaim Tow Bar and brake air compressor on the RV from towing My Ford Bronco 2 so I just had to buy the base plate for the Jeep and the braking system for it.

I do not think I have any photos of putting the base plate on as it seemed pretty simple.
I do have photos of putting the braking system on and diagrams of how I wired the tail lamps for the Jeep.
I just view some video of installing the blue ox base plate to the 2011 jeep grand cherokee, it looks like I have to remove the front bumper to expose the vehicle chassis to mount the base plate.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #9

13 years and 158,000 miles ago, I was new to the world of RVing. I went with the dealer recommendation and bought a Blue Ox system--no regrets, good company--but suspect any of the brand name tow bars will work fine. Later, I decided to go with the Brake-Buddy braking system. Initial thought for me was not to get an intrusive system that required "splicing" into the tow cars wiring, braking, or vacuum systems. The BB system has worked fine over the years and has been rebuilt once at modest cost, but in retrospect, setup and storage of the BB is a bit of a hassle. I have two different towed vehicles so I like the portability of BB, but will probably go with an "pre-installed" system next time.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes I had to remove the front bumper for the base plate install and grill for the M&G braking system.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
If the system does not connect to the RV, how does it sense the light braking of the RV when going downhill?
It doesn't, and that was exactly why I went with it. My brake lights come on with the exhaust brake, so the brake lights can be on all the way down a mountain pass. I never did find a good way to bypass that feature, and Freightliner won't do it. I didn't like what that would do to some other brake systems.

The RVIBrake2 just uses angle and change in forward inertia, similar to a brake controller. In fact, unplug it before you reposition it, or that piston will jump out at you if you tip it down. Down ask how I learned that

Everything that is displayed on the device itself is also displayed and controlled by the wireless dash device, which has worked fine for me so far. I can change the sensitivity, brake pressure, and watch the pressure being applied.

There is one caution, and my buddy just messed up with his first time out - you can't jump in and press the brake while its installed, or it will slide the piston forward on the rack and assume the depressed state is the normal state and it will drag your brakes and it does not give any forward indication that they are on. In fact it thinks they are not on. The key is to make sure the brakes lights are "off" on your towed vehicle before you head out. Catastrophic results can happen - I think it actually totaled his car as he said the wheels brazed themselves to the rotors, flattened the tires, and melted all the axle seals. I added a taillight on my dash that comes on with the brake lights that I can see in the rear view camera of the motorhome. Eventually I'll put a light on the dash.

There is a breakaway switch with the system you will want to put on the front bumper, and it just has a jack that plugs into the brake unit. There is also an antenna that you attach and stick it to the windshield or drape it over the visor. I was concerned about having a dead battery so I got the battery minder that accepts power form the MH and keeps the Jeep battery charged, but I haven't installed it yet, and haven't had any issues with the battery using day trips, but several days of travel may take it's toll on the battery so I'll hook it up next week.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing