Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Exclamation Charger is dead

Newbie here. The family and I just purchased our first rv. A 2006 Salem Forest River T23FBL. We took it up to Spicer Meadow Reservoir in California for our family maiden voyage. It was GREAT! We accidentally left our fan on all night and it drained and killed the battery..... and the charging unit is no longer working at all after this. DC still works great after a new battery but it doesn't charge when I plug it in off the 30 amp plug (i have to use a trickle charger directly off the battery). 2 things.... I want some sort of inexpensive solar charging option for when im off the grid and want something to keep the lights on. 2nd.... I have an American Enterprise Power converter with charger model #CS6000XL..... how do I go about replacing the charging unit? I have peeps to help me replace it I just need to know exactly what to get.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron
santacruzrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
American Enterprise markets converters originating in China, and all of the brands I recognize have a poor reputation. Best practice from reports by others is to replace the power unit with a Progressive Dynamics 4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters from Progressive Dynamics Solar is another matter entirely, I have a 185W panel with Morningstar charge controller and we boondocked for eight days on the shore of Lake Superior. All of our electric needs were met. It comes down to speed/current cost money how fast do you want to go?
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
American Enterprise markets converters originating in China, and all of the brands I recognize have a poor reputation. Best practice from reports by others is to replace the power unit with a Progressive Dynamics 4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters from Progressive Dynamics Solar is another matter entirely, I have a 185W panel with Morningstar charge controller and we boondocked for eight days on the shore of Lake Superior. All of our electric needs were met. It comes down to speed/current cost money how fast do you want to go?
Thanks! My solar needs would be minimal at the moment. Just looking for a portable option that will maintain the battery with normal DC use in the RV.

I currently have a 30amp plug. Which one of the replacement converters would work for me?

Thanks!
Aaron
Old 07-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
The Model #PD4645V 45A (32A inrush max current during start up) would be my choice probably best to give them a call (they are in Michigan) and ask for recommendations.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The chargers have fuses that will blow when trying to charge a fully dead battery. Did you check them?
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
The chargers have fuses that will blow when trying to charge a fully dead battery. Did you check them?
Are you talking about the glass fuse on the circuit board? I can see it but don't know if it's blown. How do i check this?

thanks!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The charger on my Damon was an Inteli-smart 2000 or something to that effect. On the right side of the unit there were three blade style 30 amp fuses like you find in most automobile fuse boxes.

I let my batteries dry out and from the charger trying to charge a dry battery, it blew all of the fuses. I put battery acid in the batteries and replaced the fuses and the entire system came back to life.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
The charger on my Damon was an Inteli-smart 2000 or something to that effect. On the right side of the unit there were three blade style 30 amp fuses like you find in most automobile fuse boxes.

I let my batteries dry out and from the charger trying to charge a dry battery, it blew all of the fuses. I put battery acid in the batteries and replaced the fuses and the entire system came back to life.
All the fuses are good :/

Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry. I was hoping it was something simple and cheap to fix. Placing a call to the manufacturer might prove helpful in diagnosing the problem before pulling it out.

Good luck
Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see two possible suspects:

1: (Already mentioned) is the reverse polarity fuse, IN some cases, epically if it's a smaller converter and a larger battery bank (or you have expanded the battery bank) if you run the batteries down too far POP goes the fuses. There should be one or two fuses on the converter unless it is part of the power distribution center, in which case they are USUALLY (But not always) the fuses on the right.

2: Some converters won't activate less they sense a battery, a battery putting out less than say 9 volts, does not exist in their lexicon.

In addition there are the HFWHOH issues, These incluede tripped 120 volt circuit breaker that feeds it. and in my case not everyone has this problem) Knocked the (*@&# plug out of the )@(*# socket again (Can you tell it's happened a few times) Note. in my case that's the #1 converter problem.. I usually figure out what the problem is around 3am.. last time It was 3pm, I dang near passed out from shock (Not electrical) at the thought of figuring it out

A: Before the batteires got run down and B: While it was still daylight.