Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #1

Coachmen Leprechaun exterior TV

We have a 2018 Leprechaun 319MB with the exterior TV. I just picked up a King Tailgater Dish satellite antenna this past weekend with the Wally receiver. I plan on building a ladder mount, but also have the tripod mount for when the ladder mount has obstructions for reception. I have some questions regarding the satellite ready roof wiring (supposed to be pre-wired for roof satellite), and access to the exterior TV connection ports.

I have been on the roof and I did not find a sealed cover for any coax connection. The only external coax connection is the one on the left side of the coach, but I assumed that is for cable connection at the campsite. I think I can use that connection for the satellite to the Wally receiver inside the coach if the antenna booster is off and the Wally is connected to the coax connection next the the antenna booster. But maybe that coax connection is not tied to the cable connection on the side of the coach. I may end up tracing that exterior connection with a toner to see where it terminates. Any ideas would be appreciated.

What I had planned to do is use an HDMI splitter to distribute the picture to both the interior popup TV and the exterior TV. When looking at the exterior TV, I cannot get to the connections due to the way that TV is mounted. It seems to be flat mounted against the mounting board. My question: does anyone know how to dismount the exterior TV so I can get access to the ports?

Thanks for any information on these questions.
RE929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to johnm405
Outside TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE929 View Post
We have a 2018 Leprechaun 319MB with the exterior TV. I just picked up a King Tailgater Dish satellite antenna this past weekend with the Wally receiver. I plan on building a ladder mount, but also have the tripod mount for when the ladder mount has obstructions for reception. I have some questions regarding the satellite ready roof wiring (supposed to be pre-wired for roof satellite), and access to the exterior TV connection ports.

I have been on the roof and I did not find a sealed cover for any coax connection. The only external coax connection is the one on the left side of the coach, but I assumed that is for cable connection at the campsite. I think I can use that connection for the satellite to the Wally receiver inside the coach if the antenna booster is off and the Wally is connected to the coax connection next the the antenna booster. But maybe that coax connection is not tied to the cable connection on the side of the coach. I may end up tracing that exterior connection with a toner to see where it terminates. Any ideas would be appreciated.

What I had planned to do is use an HDMI splitter to distribute the picture to both the interior popup TV and the exterior TV. When looking at the exterior TV, I cannot get to the connections due to the way that TV is mounted. It seems to be flat mounted against the mounting board. My question: does anyone know how to dismount the exterior TV so I can get access to the ports?

Thanks for any information on these questions.
Good luck I have been trying to find the wires I need to put a satellite receiver in my leprechaun 2018 for a year now. Every one can tell me how to get inside the motor home but not how to get the wires from the receiver to the tv’s. If you find out please post it. Thanks
johnm405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

solution getting satellite connection into Coachmen Leprechaun

After lots of research, I came up with a solution to get my satellite signal from my Tailgater dish to my Wally receiver to both my interior and exterior TVs. I am using the external coax connection on the side of the coach to send the signal to my Wally receiver.

I built a ladder mount with a platform to mount my Tailgater dish up high. I can aim the dish southward by rotating the PVC pole.I run the coax down from the dish and velcro the cable to the ladder and run the coax under the coach to the coax connection o th side of the coach. I decided that through the roof route would be too much work and possible defacing of the interior which was not an option on a brand new motorhome. The platform and dish come down and is not intended as a permanent mount.

Now I will not be using campsite-provded cable since it is always crappy! I had traced the external coax connection to the connection that is behind the tv signal amplifier plate near the interior TV. I disconnected the external coax cable from the amplifier switch on the backside of that plate. It is the middle/lower connection. I drilled a hole in that plate and installed a coax connector Male/Male in that hole and connected the coax I removed fro the amplifier to this new connection. FYI, the satellite connection will not work through the amplifier connection even if it is off.
erna
My Wally receiver is connected to this new connection and I have been using this using this configuration without any problems. The external coax connection is now dedicated tothe satellite connection, and the cable connection can be restored since nothing has been permanently altered, other than the new hole and additional coax connection in the amplifier plate.

I was able to fish an HDMI cable fron the interior TV to the external TV. I use an HDMI splitter and I can get the same video output to both TVs. The new Wally remotes are RF so I can control the the Wally receiver when we are watching on the outside TV. I was able to see the connections were underneath and had access.

The cost to use your existing exernal coax connection for satellite is minimal, a couple of bucks for that M/M connector. Of course the HDMI splitter and cables are needed if you have the exterior TV.

I'm sorry I can't post any images since the coach is at the storage facility. I mounted the Wally receiver near the amplifier on the side of the kitchen cabinet.

It was more work researching than actually implementing.
FYI- i used a a Flag Buddy pole mount for the ladder mount and used a plumbing flange to mount a polyethylene cutting board as my platform. I have a tripod mount in case the ladder mount has obstructions. But the external coax connection solves the problem regardless of which mount I use for the satellite dish.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

I am really happy with my solution. I concocted a hybrid solution and added my own ideas to come up with my final configuration.
RE929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE929 View Post
After lots of research, I came up with a solution to get my satellite signal from my Tailgater dish to my Wally receiver to both my interior and exterior TVs. I am using the external coax connection on the side of the coach to send the signal to my Wally receiver.

I built a ladder mount with a platform to mount my Tailgater dish up high. I can aim the dish southward by rotating the PVC pole.I run the coax down from the dish and velcro the cable to the ladder and run the coax under the coach to the coax connection o th side of the coach. I decided that through the roof route would be too much work and possible defacing of the interior which was not an option on a brand new motorhome. The platform and dish come down and is not intended as a permanent mount.

Now I will not be using campsite-provded cable since it is always crappy! I had traced the external coax connection to the connection that is behind the tv signal amplifier plate near the interior TV. I disconnected the external coax cable from the amplifier switch on the backside of that plate. It is the middle/lower connection. I drilled a hole in that plate and installed a coax connector Male/Male in that hole and connected the coax I removed fro the amplifier to this new connection. FYI, the satellite connection will not work through the amplifier connection even if it is off.

erna

My Wally receiver is connected to this new connection and I have been using this using this configuration without any problems. The external coax connection is now dedicated tothe satellite connection, and the cable connection can be restored since nothing has been permanently altered, other than the new hole and additional coax connection in the amplifier plate.

I was able to fish an HDMI cable fron the interior TV to the external TV. I use an HDMI splitter and I can get the same video output to both TVs. The new Wally remotes are RF so I can control the the Wally receiver when we are watching on the outside TV. I was able to see the connections were underneath and had access.

The cost to use your existing exernal coax connection for satellite is minimal, a couple of bucks for that M/M connector. Of course the HDMI splitter and cables are needed if you have the exterior TV.

I'm sorry I can't post any images since the coach is at the storage facility. I mounted the Wally receiver near the amplifier on the side of the kitchen cabinet.

It was more work researching than actually implementing.

FYI- i used a a Flag Buddy pole mount for the ladder mount and used a plumbing flange to mount a polyethylene cutting board as my platform. I have a tripod mount in case the ladder mount has obstructions. But the external coax connection solves the problem regardless of which mount I use for the satellite dish.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

I am really happy with my solution. I concocted a hybrid solution and added my own ideas to come up with my final configuration.

Nice post! Question, what IF you put a splitter behind the TV amp, use 2 short coax, one for the dish & one for the TV antenna! Might that work?
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #5

I have the same issue with our 2018 Leprechaun 319mb. Have been running the coax from the dish thru the passenger window to the receiver. Would also be interested in how you sole the problem and where you found a good place for the receiver.
cabhrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabhrp View Post
I have the same issue with our 2018 Leprechaun 319mb. Have been running the coax from the dish thru the passenger window to the receiver. Would also be interested in how you sole the problem and where you found a good place for the receiver.

You would think RV builders, like Forest River, would include reliable hook ups for outside Satellite connections! But NOPE! Outside park coax connection works well...BUT to use this same one for the Satellite cable...not do much! Sad design flaw...on purpose or just dumb design!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen