Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Question for Coachmen Prism Owners

We are going to see some Prism Elites next week. Like the looks on the Internet, but we do have one question about the swivel front seat being used as the main living room chairs, and their comfort level.

My wife has serious Spinal Stenosis, so needs decent comfort in a living room chair.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), how do you rate these chairs? I notice add-on cushions are furnished. Thanks in advance for your help
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Coachmen Prism - Seeking Opinions

The Coachmen Prism motorhome looks appealing to us. We are planning to visit a dealer this week to view their selection of Prisms, and are seeking opinions of this RV from those who own one or those who have seen them at dealerships.

Any opinions, good or bad, will sure be appreciated!!
Old 05-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #3

Response to this and to other regarding Rotating Chasis Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Pat View Post
The Coachmen Prism motorhome looks appealing to us. We are planning to visit a dealer this week to view their selection of Prisms, and are seeking opinions of this RV from those who own one or those who have seen them at dealerships.

Any opinions, good or bad, will sure be appreciated!!
Hello Richard, where to start?

I picked up a Used Coachmen Prism 2200 (by Forest River) with less than 9,000 miles on it, less than 2-months ago.

Few to Dayton Beach, FL from California to pick it up. It was owned by a great couple from Iowa, that used it softly. The 2200 was what I really wanted.

It came with Recliners in place of Dinette, and therefore a Outside thin Storage that is Great for hoses and roll-up / folding chairs, but does away the 2-under seat inside storages (the sofa model takes away both) I really like what I have.

3,000 mile Trip home proved to be a challenge, as I broke numerous things.

My Controller Board for the Water heater needed to be replaced in New Orleans at $430.

We fought, numerous broken door & drawer hardware ( thank God we bought some Duct Tape to keep them closed). When we got I bought some expensive ones at a local RV Supply& and ordered numerous less expensive on-line.

From the beginning, we fought a toilet seal that exposed the inside to odors of sewage (Odor fluid got so stong that it makes the stomach uneasy).

Finally in Palm Spings, got a dealer to locate a complete toilet, and an Repair employee the moonlighted to put it in (went with whole unit as it seemed less to install and not fight adjustment as we tried to enjoy the trip). That cost another $420.

Asked the Repair guy what he thought of the Prism, an he was extremely honest and replied: that he did Not like Forest River Products, even though he made Good Money off of Warranty work at his day job. He continued to say that Prism had Great Designers to come up with innovative layouts of the space, but the factory did a poor job of putting the together, and the Quality was lacking. He the showed us numerous things to show his concerns of installation and material faults.

When I got home I replaced most of the broken hardware and corrected the faulty stapling of cabinet frames. (Staples need to be installed in both wooden pieces and Not in the crack between them, additionally the wood frame needs to be thinker or have a backer so the screws are not right on the edge which causes the wood to split) The 2200 has a TV between the Recliners and the Bed which has 8-screws installed on the workbench & 8-screws installed in the coach with the frame and TV unit. It was on this second unit where we only had 7 if the screws that had fallen out (these are the hardest to install) and it was apparent the factory did not tighten them correctly. (The large beautiful TV was very close to falling on the Floor with only 1-screw holding it in place).

Additionally, Prism uses a Square Countersunk (I think it called a Robson Screw Head, which is Great for Not-Striping the screw head), but a Countersunk Screwhead should Not be used with Plastic Slottedhardware as it splits the plastic.

We bought the Sprinter (we have had 4-Mercedes cars before and found them to be Great quality) knowing that they hold there resale value much better than (disposable) Fords , or (White Bread) Chevys. The only problem with the Sprinter is that Rear Axle width is much narrower than the Full size Fords, which causes excess sway when in a cross wind or being passed by anything. Sway bars might Not be the answer as the front end guy explained: it is like riding a Bike carreying a 4x8 sheet of Plywood in the wind.
I did Not like the MH’s with the Ford Transit frame as Tires are to small in diameter and thus would cause a rougher ride.
LucasCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Hey LucasCali :

Many thanks for taking time to share your experiences with your Coachman Prism . What you have done is reinforce my fears I've had for Coachmen & Forest River in past years. I've seen reports that things were improving with the acquisition, but maybe not.

The dealer's presentation on their website is very impressive & the price is attractive, but at age 74 I'm not too excited about numerous nitpickey problems. There are enough with all new RVs as it is!!

Noticed this is your first post:

Old 05-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #5

2 of ?

We found the Sprinter Chassis is hard to get out of. Ms. Trieste did her anckle on the trip home (almost 2-months and it still is troublesome.

Ordered and installed door handles from Sprinter Parts Depot ($159 which is Great price looks OEM). Great looking but a pain to install. They say 20-minutes, it took me 8-hours, (as I screwed up and got the Threaded Insrets TOO lose. I now have a fix if I do something like that again)

Trying to get fiberglass Running Boards out Forest River so far has been a challenge. Normal step down out of a Sprinter is about 18-inches. Much too high for the Ms. (maybe $600 after market). I liken it to jumping out of an airplane sky-diving. If you proceed hopefully you can get some OEM on Prism Elite.

Mine came with Factory “Big Foot” Levelers. They are a must. I would Not go with Dealer installs of these, as I just don’t trust those folks.

Overall I would say that, I have never seen such an Industy of Motorhome manufactures & Dealers with so many “Carnie Type” folks in my life. The independent RV Folks seem the best for repairs beyond what I feel comfortable doing.

The others (those selling used Sprinter) that say they get 15 to 17 mpg must only drive in School Zones when nothing makes them stop & go. On our trip from Orlando to Hoston we got about 13 1/2 mpg. Then when we hit Exas that dropped to 10 1/2 at best (too many small hills in East TX. Couple that with the drive from Waco to Scottsdale where the speed limit is 80-miles per hour ( I drove No were near that but just tried to get out of the way. When I got to Palm Springs and had time calculate fuel economy at 11 1/2 I was ready to sell it. Head winds from Abilene to Palm Speings killed the mileage. The Cross winds from Palm Springs to Central California were “2-hands on the wheel at all times. Overall, we got 12 1/2 mpg during our 3,000 mile trip (towing nothing & with nothing but two suitcases for 2-people as we Flew to pick it up. I originally told myself that I did not want a Gas unit as they were claiming 8 to 10 mpg’s. So I don’t think I did that well.

Prism Radio & Backup Camera are a Joke at best. Side view Cameras a almost visible on the POOR Radio Screen. Antenna, is in windshield with Velcro (now it dangles & has shorted-out. I am Not a Sirius fan. So what I have now is a Radio that I can’t see from the driver seat, a backup camera that I not sure if it even color, a Radio I can’t hear.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #6

3 of ?

MBZ makes go product, but it is Not a mover that get go out of jambs. It has power once it on the way. It pulled the Grapevine quite well, but in AZ east of Wilcox it labored to get us in the flow of traffic when we pulled over. Had to do what the Truckers weee doing and put on the Flashers to warn traffic from behind that I was going slow to get caught up. I like the fact that Little Chasis Maintenance is required until 20,000 miles. Having had numerous other MBZ’s I know I will go thru price shock, as MBZ labor rates are high.

The brakes really saved me when a car pulled in front of us and stopped in the slow lane at an exist on I-5. Thank God for ABS as it worked really hard to stop us shorter than expected.

I found the upgraded Drivers seat really comfortable even after 11-hours of driving. The Mrs said her seat was comfortable also.

Regarding a second post this forum. The Rotating Seats work (it took me 6-weeks to realize that it was an option on my unit. They are kind of a pain to use with what could be nightly stops. Too much adjusting to clear the curved wall behind the seats. This really true for the passengers seat with the little seat behind it. Mine did Not come with the 4 to 6-inch portable riser cushion. What might be real killer with your wife’s Back Issue is that in the rotated position the floor of the Coach is level with the bottom of Main Seat Cushion. Thus your legs are almost straight out. She could sit side saddle but that is also uncomfortable. There too many other floor plans that offer better seating.

If you are looking at a 2200 or something similar the TV as written earlier is next to the dinette/recliners. So your neck is twisted when watching. Also with the recliners the bi-fold doors that cover the TV hit the Top Back of the recliners, which forces you to extend the Slide to open the doors. Additionally, on the 2200 the full wall Closet 3- doors & 2-drawers have limited access (only one Closet Door can be opened) unless the slide is extended.

Note, on the 2200 although we were able to use the shower & toilet it is tight. Others offer more space and ease of use.

The Sprinter Fuel Tank is 26 to 27 gallons, when I ran the numbers on a MH with gas engine I thought that their 8 to 10 mpg versus what other Sprinter owners reported as 15 to 17, meant I could travel the same distance at half the cost before re-fueling. great numbers, but in reality that was wrong. The Sprinter Low Fuel light comes on which 10-gallons left in the tank.

Would I buy a Prism 2200 again? That is debatable. (quality, access with Slide retracted)

Would I buy a Prism again? That is also debatable. (Quality, Radio, Backup Camera)

Would I buy a MH on a Sprinter Chassis again? Perhaps (Low Power, MPG, narrow rear axel)

What else would I look at? Longer with Ford Chassis

What would be ideal? A MH with a 6.7 Power Strke Diesel

Richard, I hope this helps, yes this officially my First Post, as others Replies were Too Old and rejected after I spent a lot of time to type.

Lucas
Old 10-28-2019, 12:33 AM   #7

Great seat! I would give it a solid 4 out of 10 ☹️
flyingarmour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen