Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #1

Columbus or cedar creek

We are trying to decide which fiver to upgrade to from our Open Range Roamer 316. We are considering Columbus 320. Any thoughts from current owners? My local dealer carries the Cedar Creek , is it a better quality? I like the movable island in the Columbus
caroldee2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

I can not really say since I never look at the Columbus 5er. We do own a CC34RL 2016 model and had this out only two times so far. My DW and I like the unit and we really like the 6-point auto leveling system along with the Day/night shades.

I believe the CC line has more basement storage area than must 5er's this and the six point leveling and the dealer was what we went with in our decision making.

Have you checked out the Forest river forum?

Jim
Old 07-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #3

I do love the extra basement on the Creek however my boyfriend, who does all the pulling , thinks the Creeks are too heavy for his Ford 250 diesel . What do you pull with ?
Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

Columbus RS 320

After a lot of looking, and research, we bought at 2014 Columbus RS320- The movable island was a big plus. There is a lot of storage, the very large bath/shower was a big plus. The only downside was the two swivel/recliners that came with the unit, not the best to relax in, we took them out and just replaced them with one swivel, rocker, recliner, and moved the dining table for more room. The six way auto leveling system is a dream, one push of a button and we are set to finish the setup. Do not put a lot of heavy stuff in the rear overhead storage over the couch, it will pop out the led light fixtures, nor heavy canned goods in the island storage bins, (split wood guides, but easily repaired.) We are totally satisfied for the selection we made, worth the extra money. The trailer came with two Fan-Tastic auto vent fans, one in living area, one in the bedroom, they work great, but being the frugal(cheep) person I am, I would have preferred another A/C unit in the bedroom, but I will live with it, instead of replacing the fan. Hopes this helps alittle bit.
olydigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:08 AM   #5

Thanks for your suggestions on the 320. My only disappointment would be no pantry, I was hoping to store canned goods in island. Do you store much groceries and where?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

Columbus RS 320

Like everyone else, we over pack everything, we put the canned goods in the cabinets next to the tv, lots of room, good support. No problems storing dry goods in the slideout drawer in the movable island. Never had any issues on where to put things, unit has tons of storage throughout.
olydigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #7

The Columbus is a new name. Cedar Creek has been around since about 1999. Our 2005 Creek has been nearly perfect. Even after 10 years we are still comfortable in it,only replacing the microwave last year. Customer service is outstanding, I can still call them directly, order parts and have them via UPS within a week. How is long term customer service for the others your considering?
Old 07-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #8

Your comments re: CC customer service is very reassuring. I haven't had many replies on the Columbus but it is also a Forest River product so hopefully the same great service your are getting . Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #9

Different divisions, thus different CS. From what I have been told by a RV tech that the Columbus uses some pretty cheap materials. Like the material in the couch is really light weight. I suspect it might not hold up well. Personally, like I said before, there are only two brands I would buy if I were buying new. Cedar Creek or Arctic Fox.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:38 PM   #10

I own a 2013 Columbus and pull it with a 2006 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab. I pulled my 320RS from TN to Alaska last year, via Arizona, Utah and on up through Canada and along the Alaskan Highway (me, my wife, 12 year old son and our Boxer put about 6,000 miles on it and stayed in it for about 7 weeks). There were about 50 miles of gravel roads they were working on so travel was down to about 25 MPH at times. Lots of rough roads in the lower 48 as well as Canada and AK. I had installed an external 45 Gallon fuel tank and had the RV loaded to around 13000 to 14000 pounds. Not once did I have any trouble with the truck or the Fifth Wheel. We bought enough groceries in Edmonton to last 4 weeks. We camped in campgrounds with utilities and some with nothing but a parking spot. Beautiful trip and the Columbus was a must. I have found no cheap parts or shoddy workmanship. I did have problems with my fireplace and microwave which the dealer replaced them with no hesitation. In my opinion, you cannot own a better fifth wheel.
khamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #11

Columbus 320RS

We just purchased one and while only used once to date are very happy with it. There is a Facebook group devoted to Columbus owners that you might find very helpful. Columbus RV Group. It is a closed group but you can ask to join. You can all kinds of questions and get a variety of answers. I believe the large majority are 320RS owners. We also like the moving island and the storage that is available throughout the unit. One thing to keep in mind is that this is just a box on wheels and as such are susceptible to a wide variety of problems. Many by the simple act of pulling it from place to place. As with any other comparison you will find people who love Columbus and those that don't. You will find people that love CC and those that don't. It will be yours to own and love or hate no matter which you choose. So just choose one and many happy camping trips.