Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #1

Dealer plan or Good Sam service plan?

I purchased an elite service plan from the dealer through Performance First.

The Brochure says: "Entitles you to the ultimate in mechanical breakdown protection plans. Provides coverage for almost every mechanical and electrical part on you Motor Home and much more including; Mechanical and electrical, Audio, Wear and Tear, Deluxe appliance coverage, and Hi Tech Components."

This looked good to me but I have no experience with these warrenties.

The Good Sam Club also offers a plan that is not nearly as expensive and also seems to be good, it is the Gold plan. Price is much cheaper than the Performance plan.

Thoughts? Does anyone have experience with the Performance First folks?

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #2

Hi, We are weighing our options too on an extended service plan. I hope there are more replies here to weigh in on the decision.
Thanks,
Lynn
Dave and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #3

Bump!

Even if you don't know anything about the Performance First plan can you comment on the Good Sam Plan. Experience? Coverage? Random thoughts?

Thanks!

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #4

I went with Easy-Care Total plan and it's been great. Less than the Good Sam,s Gold. GS quoted $2500/year.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I went with Easy-Care Total plan and it's been great. Less than the Good Sam,s Gold. GS quoted $2500/year.
Yikes.... If you put that money in a savings acct every year, you would have a bundle of cash available to fix any problem that might show up. It is too late for you now, but if you had put that money in the bank every year, it is almost a sure thing that you would have a LOT of cash left over when the "plan" expired. I hope you beat the odds and have some expensive problems so that you do not lose all the money paid for nothing.

BTW, be sure to read and comply with the fine print in the contract. The insurance companies love to deny claims because the procedures were not followed precisely.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Insurance

One of the phrases that I see in my $200 deductible plan (Which I haven't used once in 7 years and expires in Sept) goes like this.

BREAKDOWN - Means the failure of a covered part under "normal service". A covered part has failed when it can no longer perform the function for which it was designed solely because of its condition "and not becuase of the action or inaction of any non-covered parts." or the part has worn beyond the manufacturer's field tolerances.

In other words if the failure of a $5,000 part was caused by the failure of a $5.00 part that is covered, you will most certainly be covered for the $5.00 item.

Now there's a tongue twister!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjm209 View Post
One of the phrases that I see in my $200 deductible plan (Which I haven't used once in 7 years and expires in Sept) goes like this.

BREAKDOWN - Means the failure of a covered part under "normal service". A covered part has failed when it can no longer perform the function for which it was designed solely because of its condition "and not becuase of the action or inaction of any non-covered parts." or the part has worn beyond the manufacturer's field tolerances.

In other words if the failure of a $5,000 part was caused by the failure of a $5.00 part that is covered, you will most certainly be covered for the $5.00 item.

Now there's a tongue twister!
I would call that a depressing tongue twister.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #8

EDJ: I like all I have read about the hitchhiker and looked at all their videos and they sure seem to build a good quality 5er. Is your truck big enough for this rig? Have you been happy with this rv and what insight can you give me on my plan to get a 32foot hitchhiker and a f350 superduty 4x4 srw. I live in Costa Rica and it is hard to check these things out but reading and videos. You have first hand advice I could sure use. Any imput would be so welcome! I plan to buy in the spring of 2012
Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #9

Good Sam Plan is a SCAM they are the AFFINITY group which owns Good Sam, Camping World, and Coast to Coast they are a great marketing company and will send you something every month or week and they even will leave you stranded with a major repair bill they flat out LIE long story short GOOD SAM is a SCAM
motofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
EDJ: I like all I have read about the hitchhiker and looked at all their videos and they sure seem to build a good quality 5er. Is your truck big enough for this rig? Have you been happy with this rv and what insight can you give me on my plan to get a 32foot hitchhiker and a f350 superduty 4x4 srw. I live in Costa Rica and it is hard to check these things out but reading and videos. You have first hand advice I could sure use. Any imput would be so welcome! I plan to buy in the spring of 2012
I have a Dodge 2500 diesel. It is heavy duty enough to easily tow the HitchHiker that we have. BUT, the hitch weight of the trailer is too high for the payload rating of the truck. I do not have a problem with that since the trailer is basically parked full time in the CG and used as a Snowbird winter home. If I were to tow it a lot, a 3500 level diesel truck would do the job easily. We do really like the HitchHiker we have and could see easily living in it full-time if we wanted to.

To get the best info for NuWa HitchHikers, I suggest you join the NuWa Owners forum at this link. There are a lot of full-timers on the forum and they are a fountain of information. The forum has been hit hard by overseas spammers recently, so they have made it a bit more difficult to register. They are especially sensitive to granting the registration from an 'overseas' ISP right now. So, if you have any problem registering for the forum, e-mail one of the administrators and tell them about the problem and that "EdJ" sent you.....
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a very important question to ask the dealer (And, for that matter Good Sam)

IF, I'm passing through some place say 1,000 miles from here.. And the engine says "Good by" where do I go, or rather, where do I tow?

Some dealer plans you may have limited seleciton.. And since I've never ask that question of Good Sam I don't know.

Another is "Do I pay and submit or does dealer get paid directly"

That's a biggie.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I have a Dodge 2500 diesel. It is heavy duty enough to easily tow the HitchHiker that we have. BUT, the hitch weight of the trailer is too high for the payload rating of the truck. I do not have a problem with that since the trailer is basically parked full time in the CG and used as a Snowbird winter home. If I were to tow it a lot, a 3500 level diesel truck would do the job easily. We do really like the HitchHiker we have and could see easily living in it full-time if we wanted to.

To get the best info for NuWa HitchHikers, I suggest you join the NuWa Owners forum at this link. There are a lot of full-timers on the forum and they are a fountain of information. The forum has been hit hard by overseas spammers recently, so they have made it a bit more difficult to register. They are especially sensitive to granting the registration from an 'overseas' ISP right now. So, if you have any problem registering for the forum, e-mail one of the administrators and tell them about the problem and that "EdJ" sent you.....
Thanks for the imput and I will take your advice on the owners forum!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Story in this months "HOT LINE" column of MotorHome magazine about someone who bought a service contract. The company went out of business and left everyone without coverage and no recourse to get any money back. This is not the first company that did this either.

BTW: about 50% of the cost is dealer profit so I hope people haggle if they feel they need one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #14

We went with the Good Sam for the very reason mentioned. It is good anywhere according to the contract. I can't say I tested it but it has a $50 deductible per visit not per fixed item. I have an appointment to get my slide leak, storage flood and noisy AC fan looked at and hopefully fixed. I got everything in writing and Good Sam should not go out of business. A dealers service is more likely. I'm getting mine fixed before the 30 day drop clause. (Our 7 inches of rain sure tested the rig).
sciguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote