Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2019, 05:09 AM   #1

Decal Removal?

We take delivery of our new Mini Lite in a couple months and would like to remove the exterior verbiage. Has anyone attempted this on a new unit? I was thinking a hair dryer and some patience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 05:17 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If you're going to do it it is best to do when it is new to avoid the fade shadows. A hair dryer and patience should work fairly well but a heat gun would work better and much faster.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fairly new decals should come off easily with a little heat from a hair dryer. Just enough heat to warm up the adhesive, then pull at a 90 degree angle. To much heat softens the graphic and it stretches and pulls apart.

I guarantee, by the time you finish, you'll have the process down pat...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If heat fails, I have had good luck with 3M eraser wheel and drill
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #5

I will give the hair dryer a shot before I attempt the eraser. Nothing against the eraser, I've used it on our sailboat, but I have a feeling the gelcoat on our boat is tougher than the finish on the trailer!
Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #6

Make a deal with the dealer as a condition of the sale to remove the decals, or see if you can order one w/o decals.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Fairly new decals should come off easily with a little heat from a hair dryer. Just enough heat to warm up the adhesive, then pull at a 90 degree angle. To much heat softens the graphic and it stretches and pulls apart.

I guarantee, by the time you finish, you'll have the process down pat...
Grab a bottle of Goo Gone. Great stuff for helping remove the adhesive that is always left behind. I just peeled 4 dealer decals off of my MH and used Goo Gone to get rid of adhesive.
MaxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
We take delivery of our new Mini Lite in a couple months and would like to remove the exterior verbiage. Has anyone attempted this on a new unit? I was thinking a hair dryer and some patience.

Were you able to remove them?

I removed all if the Coachman and dealer decals from my class c in about 2 hours. I just picked at one edge with my thumb nail and peeled them off. The decals on the front were the most difficult. Goo Gone took care of the adhesive residue left behind. Then I cleaned the surface and waxed it..

There is still a bit of a shadow left behind but it is barely noticeable. The decals had been on the MH for over two years.

I didn't remove the swirly decals. I think my MH looks better without all the "verbiage ".
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #9

I OCD delogoed/warning my entire new rig!...

I used a plastic putty knife to get the top of each sticker started then spray WD40 in the seam let it sit a few minutes and peal down slowly while tap/rubbing more WD into the glue seam with the putty knife... The new stickers come off clean... More WD40 to clean adhesive, then windex to clear grease and then wax...

I also slowly pealed off the weight rating sticker... (I took a picture of it before starting in case it was damaged)... Without using WD40 it came off intact and I remounted it on the inside of the adjacent bay door and covered it with a sheet of adhesive paper laminate protector...

If it does get ripped or damaged print it from the photo and put the copy on the back of the door with the adhesive laminate protector sheet...

The one place that was the hardest was all the stuff on the king pin... Pealing them off stuffed the black paint so a had to respray with black semigloss...

Also be very careful of removing sticker on the inside that are adhered to faux wood walls/cabinets as they can pull away the veneer if pulled too quickly or aggressively...
Old 05-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennabbott1 View Post
Were you able to remove them?....

I didn't remove the swirly decals. I think my MH looks better without all the "verbiage ".
Yes, a hair dryer took them right off with a little assistance from the sun. Goo Gone too care of the small amount of adhesive left behind by my rushing the process.

I removed only the verbiage, as well. No sense in giving free advertising when you don't care for the look.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #11

No name camper

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_101256.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	286290[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_101210.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	414.3 KB