Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Destination trailor

Does anyone out there own a forest river destination trailor.my daughter just bought one and it looks beautiful.they do insurance adjusting so stay in one place for weeks at a time.i can't wait to see it when they come back home again.i think i could live in something like that in my retirement years
Fulltimdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #2

That unit is a breed we call "park" trailers. They're not the best buy if you plan to travel a lot but for folks who may spend 6+ months somewhere, then move for another 6+ .... the park trailers are great.

A serious tip though, if they hard plumb the waste drainage, still keep the black tank closed until near full, then dump. Otherwise, paper and solids can build up and a year or so someone will be pulling the tank to clean it out. I've had people in our park with regular travel trailers that are parked full time make that mistake. Should you end up parking it permanently, remove the holding tanks and hard plumb everything.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen45 View Post
That unit is a breed we call "park" trailers. They're not the best buy if you plan to travel a lot but for folks who may spend 6+ months somewhere, then move for another 6+ .... the park trailers are great.

A serious tip though, if they hard plumb the waste drainage, still keep the black tank closed until near full, then dump. Otherwise, paper and solids can build up and a year or so someone will be pulling the tank to clean it out. I've had people in our park with regular travel trailers that are parked full time make that mistake. Should you end up parking it permanently, remove the holding tanks and hard plumb everything.
How about if they are hooked up to sewer drop at camp site should they still keep it shut?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimdream View Post
How about if they are hooked up to sewer drop at camp site should they still keep it shut?
The black tank should remain shut. If not, with each flush the water will run off the paper and solids and allow them to build. Eventually there will be a blockage which you absolutely don't want. Watch the monitor and let the tank get 1/2 - 3/4 full, then dump and flush (if equipped).

Grey water (sinks & shower) can be left open.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In the 70's & 80's we called them "Park Models". They usually came with a house refrig. and no 12 V system at all. Also no holding tanks. We hooked up to sewer with a rigid plastic line. The toilet was a house type flush. It had a tank on the toilet.

I had a 40 ft. Mayflower Park Model, two "tip-outs" in late 1980's. It may have been a 1980 or so. Long time ago.

I towed it with my '78 Chevy 3/4T. It towed well but required a bit of work to set up at the Trailer Parks. It would have been a lot more comfortable with Slides as apposed to tip-outs.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

Lived in a 1964 Terry park model for a dozen years. 30ft, no slides, no 12v.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen45 View Post
The black tank should remain shut. If not, with each flush the water will run off the paper and solids and allow them to build. Eventually there will be a blockage which you absolutely don't want. Watch the monitor and let the tank get 1/2 - 3/4 full, then dump and flush (if equipped).

Grey water (sinks & shower) can be left open.
Thanks for the info. I will pass it on.so far they are lovin all the storage and much more space then there previous trailor.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Lived in a 1964 Terry park model for a dozen years. 30ft, no slides, no 12v.
We had a terry front kitchen trailor that I loved for years.dold it when we bought our cabin.i miss seein new places but love the convince of commin when ever we want,no reservations,turn the air on your done.it is on the mo river so always a waterview
Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
In the 70's & 80's we called them "Park Models". They usually came with a house refrig. and no 12 V system at all. Also no holding tanks. We hooked up to sewer with a rigid plastic line. The toilet was a house type flush. It had a tank on the toilet.
Forest River calls them park models now but they do have 12v lighting and holding tanks. The park I live it is full of old Franklins that must have been the originator of park model living.

The current new park models here are mostly Chariot Eagle. No holding tanks and no 12v. They now call them "modular homes". I live in one myself. I must say, they are solid.