Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #1

Forest River Georgetown

I recently purchased a used RV, for $7,700.00 We are newbies. It is an older 1999 : Forest River Georgetown on a Ford Chassis 30 foot with the Ford Triton V-10 Gas Engine less than 27,000 miles.

New Generator and New Awning Cover 2015
New Wood Floor 2015
Roof Cleaned and Resealed; gem Vents Replaced 2015
New Tires, Starter, & Front Brakes 2015
Fridge main components Replaced 2014
New Air Conditioner 2013

Motion View Automatic Satellite Dish added in 2006 currently set for dish network but can be switched to Direct TV ... Which I know nothing about

Known Issues:
*Needs good cleaning inside and out Needs total detailed.
*Door lock handle broke inside driverside
*Front Window leaks (rubber seal bad all the way around has gap in window)
*Passenger side window seal out in spots
*Behind Driver seat window seal out in spots
*A/C front panel blows hot : hopefully Freon
*Wipers both went out having repaired
*Cruise control not operational : hoping fuse
*Upholstery needs shampoo cleaned or completely changed out.
*Entry Door steps carpet filthy .. Thinking need rubber matting and fix trim for wood.

So my questions are several
1. Any suggestions on detailing do it yourself or hire it done. The inside cleaning I can handle.
2. Anyone know where the Freon valve is located?
3. Removal and replacing the smaller windows and seals. (Anyone have experience with doing these.
4. Having the the windshield seal looked at and wipers arms and blades as well to be done professionaly along with cruise control.
5. Upholstery does it come off? To wash, suggestions appreciated.
6. Consideration of installing AC Converter for outlets without running generator
7. Any comments on the motion view satellite dish?
8. Considering replacing all interior lights with Led ..any thoughts on where to purchase Led lights

I know its a lot but I thought I would jump right into
The forum.

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance
Beachbumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 04:39 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cruise Control issue - Most Ford products built between 1994 and 2004

DO THIS IMMEDIATELY - Take your VIN number to any Ford dealer and verify the Cruise Control fuse recall has been performed (or isn't required)

This is a fire and safety hazard on almost all Ford products build between 1994 and 2004. The brake switch on the master cylinder develops a leak internally and then shorts out. The switch isn't fused, so the electrical wiring melts and catches fire.

I've had a personal experience with this as I watched my neighbors pickup burn to the ground at 6 in the morning.

Ford fires and the cruise control recall – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:45 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Consider doing the Cheap Handling Fix and replace the shocks.

CHF:

CHF – Cheap Handling Fix – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S

Shocks:

Replace Shock Absorbers – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:11 AM   #4

# 1, I would do myself for three reasons. First, no one will clean it up as well as you will, since you will be living in it! Second, it's a great way to learn your way around your coach, familiarize yourself with all areas, and find things that need fixing/adjusting. Third, you will save a TON of money doing it yourself.

# 6, Inverter switches will only work if you have the battery bank (size or number of batteries) to support your power draw, AND your batteries are good. You need to do some research on what you intend to power, and what your battery bank will supply, or what additional space is available for more batteries.

Size of Battery Bank is a personal decision, and will be driven by how you use your coach. Ie; if you boondock a lot, you can probably justify the $$ to put in and maintain a larger battery bank. If you travel from hook-up to hook-up, it's probably not necessary.

Good luck in your journey!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #5

Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Cruise Control issue - Most Ford products built between 1994 and 2004

DO THIS IMMEDIATELY - Take your VIN number to any Ford dealer and verify the Cruise Control fuse recall has been performed (or isn't required)

This is a fire and safety hazard on almost all Ford products build between 1994 and 2004. The brake switch on the master cylinder develops a leak internally and then shorts out. The switch isn't fused, so the electrical wiring melts and catches fire.

I've had a personal experiebynce with this as I watched my neighbors pickup burn to the ground at 6 in the morning.

Ford fires and the cruise control recall – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Thank you I will do this ASAP
Old 05-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumz View Post
I recently purchased a used RV, for $7,700.00 We are newbies. It is an older 1999 : Forest River Georgetown on a Ford Chassis 30 foot with the Ford Triton V-10 Gas Engine less than 27,000 miles.

New Generator and New Awning Cover 2015
New Wood Floor 2015
Roof Cleaned and Resealed; gem Vents Replaced 2015
New Tires, Starter, & Front Brakes 2015
Fridge main components Replaced 2014
New Air Conditioner 2013

Motion View Automatic Satellite Dish added in 2006 currently set for dish network but can be switched to Direct TV ... Which I know nothing about

Known Issues:
*Needs good cleaning inside and out Needs total detailed.
*Door lock handle broke inside driverside
*Front Window leaks (rubber seal bad all the way around has gap in window)
*Passenger side window seal out in spots
*Behind Driver seat window seal out in spots
*A/C front panel blows hot : hopefully Freon
*Wipers both went out having repaired
*Cruise control not operational : hoping fuse
*Upholstery needs shampoo cleaned or completely changed out.
*Entry Door steps carpet filthy .. Thinking need rubber matting and fix trim for wood.

So my questions are several
1. Any suggestions on detailing do it yourself or hire it done. The inside cleaning I can handle.
2. Anyone know where the Freon valve is located?
3. Removal and replacing the smaller windows and seals. (Anyone have experience with doing these.
4. Having the the windshield seal looked at and wipers arms and blades as well to be done professionaly along with cruise control.
5. Upholstery does it come off? To wash, suggestions appreciated.
6. Consideration of installing AC Converter for outlets without running generator
7. Any comments on the motion view satellite dish?
8. Considering replacing all interior lights with Led ..any thoughts on where to purchase Led lights

I know its a lot but I thought I would jump right into
The forum.

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance
[IMG][emoji329] [/IMG]
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #7

Thank you .. Good advice
Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #8

Thanks I Will call Ford ASAP
Old 05-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Charging the A/C system(if not completely flat and in need of evacuating) is done from the low side only. The low side port will be on the return line between the evaporator (firewall) and compressor. 134a charging kits are available at most parts stores.

The windshield should be done by the pros. This, unless you store inside, would be one of my first priorities. Water intrusion can cause all sorts of problems and the weight and size of a removed RV windshield could be hard to handle...It's just something I personally would not try to do.

How-To RV Videos From Long-Term Full-Timers - TheRVgeeks have a lot of videos on 'how to' maintenance items.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #10

I found a reasonable priced service center ... Already fixed wipers, recharged the air and are in process of replacing the windshield seals .. Thanks for all the good advice ... I like this forum ... Experience and Knowledge .. 2 things that are relevant in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumz View Post
I found a reasonable priced service center ... Already fixed wipers, recharged the air and are in process of replacing the windshield seals .. Thanks for all the good advice ... I like this forum ... Experience and Knowledge .. 2 things that are relevant in my opinion.
Sounds like you are on your way! Hopefully you will soon show us some pics of the new rig!
mco65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow