Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #1

Forest River Isata 5 28s 4x4

Hi,

Anyone own or have any experience or any
thoughts on these?

Our 38ft class A is due changing in 3 years and thinking of a short diesel super C 4x4.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

Anyone own or have any experience or any
thoughts on these?

Our 38ft class A is due changing in 3 years and thinking of a short diesel super C 4x4.

Thanks,
I have the longer one (36DS) and tow my Ram 1500 behind it with no issues. Not sure what kind of information you are looking for. Looked at the 30FW and decided against it due to no separation of bedroom and living area. The 28S looks like a nice rig and you’ll have much higher OCCC with it.
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
I have the longer one (36DS) and tow my Ram 1500 behind it with no issues. Not sure what kind of information you are looking for. Looked at the 30FW and decided against it due to no separation of bedroom and living area. The 28S looks like a nice rig and you’ll have much higher OCCC with it.
Thanks,

Sounds like you have a great rig.

My wife wants something shorter than our 37.5 ft class A.

31ft and 4x4 sell it to me.

Is yours 4x4?

How easy is it to get between front cockpit and coach? And vice versa?

Oh, and what safety tech does it have, etc blind spot and Acc etc?
Old 04-18-2021, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks,

Sounds like you have a great rig.

My wife wants something shorter than our 37.5 ft class A.

31ft and 4x4 sell it to me.

Is yours 4x4?

How easy is it to get between front cockpit and coach? And vice versa?

Oh, and what safety tech does it have, etc blind spot and Acc etc?
The new 36 listed as a 34 is slightly shorter than my 36.5ft.
Yes 4X4
My first motorhome so I think it is easy but probably harder than anything with level cab/coach floor. It has a rise up to the coach floor so you do have to twist a little.
I think the current year one has the Ram safety features like collision, etc. Mine has traction and stability control - 2019 Ram chassis, 2020 Dynamax year.
Mine has tire pressure numeric indicators built in cluster. Use apple CarPlay on the 8.4” ram radio and I added a garmin 8” RV GPS on the dash. Moved the stock 4-camera display up to where the rear view mirror was mounted.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
The new 36 listed as a 34 is slightly shorter than my 36.5ft.
Yes 4X4
My first motorhome so I think it is easy but probably harder than anything with level cab/coach floor. It has a rise up to the coach floor so you do have to twist a little.
I think the current year one has the Ram safety features like collision, etc. Mine has traction and stability control - 2019 Ram chassis, 2020 Dynamax year.
Mine has tire pressure numeric indicators built in cluster. Use apple CarPlay on the 8.4” ram radio and I added a garmin 8” RV GPS on the dash. Moved the stock 4-camera display up to where the rear view mirror was mounted.
We will.be in a position in 2-3 years to purchase. I am starting my research now?

Any things you don't like about it?
Old 04-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #6

I would much rather a lather fuel tank. Would even be happy to remove propane and replace with a diesel tank. This with a 1000 range would be a killer
Old 04-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

I have always really liked the look of Super C's.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #8

I check out a lot of videos of it.

I liked the 32ft fill wall slide model but the 31st single slide model is more practical for what we want to do with it.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
We will.be in a position in 2-3 years to purchase. I am starting my research now?

Any things you don't like about it?
Had issue with steering angle where it set off ESC error and had to find dealership to fix. Was when driving in SD with a huge side wind I was fighting. Haven't had that issue since fix so I suspect the steering should be calibrated once Dynamax is done building.
OCCC is low but for a rig as nice as this with more carrying capacity I'd have to go with much more expensive and bigger freight liner model. OCCC for the short one is nice.
Finish and workmanship is better than most but I think all these "camper" manufacturers could do a lot better.
Dealerships that work on it are hard to find but someone here set up a google map where we can list who works on them and location. I found one about 50 miles from me. I hear that issue is similar for others but not really the freightliner ones given there are so many truckstops that work on them. Though the FLs are higher cost to repair/maintain.
Wish the generator was on a pull out tray for maintenance but understand design and weight concerns does not allow for this.

Would rather have a wall table with pull out table and two separate chairs in place of the dinette.
Back window needs a screen and opener, currently just an escape hatch.

Will be fixing those last two.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

Thanks MJ,

I watched a video that said the OCCC for the 28ss was 4000lbs, that's good enough for me.

I hear you big time on getting these repaired and serviced. I called the local RAM dealer and they can work on it, as will the truck shop I use now. Here in Michigan there are RAM shops all over the place

We definitely would want the 2 seats rather than a dinette.

One thing I cannot figure out is how far the TV extends to view it.

Would you say the 4x4 is for using on pavement or is it good for forestry service roads etc.?
Old 04-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks MJ,

I watched a video that said the OCCC for the 28ss was 4000lbs, that's good enough for me.

I hear you big time on getting these repaired and serviced. I called the local RAM dealer and they can work on it, as will the truck shop I use now. Here in Michigan there are RAM shops all over the place

We definitely would want the 2 seats rather than a dinette.

One thing I cannot figure out is how far the TV extends to view it.

Would you say the 4x4 is for using on pavement or is it good for forestry service roads etc.?
If you have Ram dealers that will work on it make sure you share them with the guy on this link. Also, make sure they will actually work on it, when I let them know the size of this thing many said they can't handle it even though they sell chassis cab Rams. He is setting up a national map on google for them. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-a-226314.html

My tv swings out pretty far and is at a decent angle, one of the things I checked too.

Some have lifted their rigs and put off road tires on it, I would not go this far. I would drive on good forestry service roads but you'll have to watch clearance. Mine is 4X4 mostly for snow and occasional hard sand or soft grass/yard. I sometimes get caught in snow when driving to warmer climates for winter camping.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
If you have Ram dealers that will work on it make sure you share them with the guy on this link. Also, make sure they will actually work on it, when I let them know the size of this thing many said they can't handle it even though they sell chassis cab Rams. He is setting up a national map on google for them. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-a-226314.html

My tv swings out pretty far and is at a decent angle, one of the things I checked too.

Some have lifted their rigs and put off road tires on it, I would not go this far. I would drive on good forestry service roads but you'll have to watch clearance. Mine is 4X4 mostly for snow and occasional hard sand or soft grass/yard. I sometimes get caught in snow when driving to warmer climates for winter camping.
Thanks MJ, I will check that link when I get home.

I think my use case for the 4x4 is the same as you. I would not change the tires until they were needed.

We are thinking of the theater style seats.

Tags
forest river