Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #1

Forest River Legacy questions

Ok...looks like wife is steering towards a diesel and is really liking the floor plans on the Legacys. Can anyone speak to the following:
Forrest River customer service
Forrest River quality and quality control
Does anyone have a Legacy? The good, the bad, and the ugly?

Thanks,

Dave
MLnDavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #2

I have owned a FR Sandpiper for about 2 weeks now. So far, I like it.

I would recommend that you check out the Forest River forums. They are very active, and lots of discussions take place on positives and negatives of different units.

They even have an app.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #3

We had a Cedar Creek by Forest River for 6 years & had no problems. Used it year round.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #4

Buying a diesel coach is a good idea. The engines have a longer life expectancy than their gas counterparts and you get more miles per gallon as compared to gas. Usually the diesel coach will have a higher torque rating so going up hills is easier and MUCH quieter than in a gas coach.
The Legacy seems to have pretty good, usable floorplans. Forest River does a really good job of designing floorplans with people in mind. Keep a couple of things in mind while looking at different MHs:
how many does it sleep?
When the beds are pulled out, can you still move easily around the coach?
Also don't forget, if the coach has slides, pull the slides in. Does the coach have adequate isle space to move around? There are times (like at rest stops or parking lots) when you are unable to open the slides. Can you and your guests still move around?
The Legacy also offers a bath and a half option. This might seem like a luxury to some, but we have it and we love it. It makes it much easier when you have guests and when getting ready to go out for the day.
When looking at MHs also think about: do we have enough room in this one? Could you all live comfortably in it for 2-4 weeks? No, not everyone that buys a MH has that much time to spend in it but someday you might. Then, do you want to have to go re-buy something with more room? (That is usually a pretty expensive option).
What you are doing now by asking questions is your best tool to help you decide on what to buy. As you consider one particular floorplan, ask other owners of that floorplan what they like or dislike about it.
The forestriverforums site is set up just like IRV2 (I think it is owned by the same company) but it has sections for just Legacy owners and just Berkshire owners. You can have access to all the owners in 1 place to ask questions or read about problems with that particular line.
We have the Berkshire 38A and we LOVE it!! It has bunks, and a bath and a half. We have been happy with all of the Forest River products we have owned. (a travel trailer: Cherokee, a gas coach Georgetown, and now a diesel Berkshire). They are a great company that takes really good care of their owners. And the Forest River family of owners is very nice whether you own a travel trailer or a Charleston 43 ft motorhomes.
Good Luck in your search!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In love with my Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLnDavo View Post
Ok...looks like wife is steering towards a diesel and is really liking the floor plans on the Legacys. Can anyone speak to the following:
Forrest River customer service
Forrest River quality and quality control
Does anyone have a Legacy? The good, the bad, and the ugly?

Thanks,

Dave

To answer your question.

#1 We use to have Holiday Rambler Gas coach that was fine until we hit mountains...going 45-50 on a hill with the flashers on and the motor screaming between the seats was not relaxing at all.

#2 Buying the Legacy from a dealer only 30 miles from the factory was a better choice than a local dealer near my home in York PA.

#3 Any issues we have had the factory has paid my local repair shop direct. the nearest Forest River Dealer deals all with trailers and not the Motorhomes.

#4 We have put 6000 miles on her from July 18th of last year till November when she went inside for the winter. A few small issues like something loose and a few items but nothing a man with skills can fix.

#5 Get the 360RB with the 1.5 bath option...my wife loves the rear bath and the ability that others staying with us have privacy with the half bath in the middle. We love the entry point like a Gas coach...opening is under the awning.

#6 We bought the extended warranty for 10 years....at $4000 its a great deal when you think of 35$ per month to cover so much.

#7 Gas mileage...we went from a Gas coach doing 6-7 MPG to a Diesel with all kinds of power getting 10.5 towing and 11.3 not.

If you lived closer I would say come and drive mine..

We love it and have trips planned this year which will allow us another 10,000 miles to be put on her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12108738_10206462256268493_6329426226819043781_n.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	120775   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150919_090630_resized.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	120776  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	120777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2944.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	711.3 KB
ID:	120778  

Old 03-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Forest River service at dealers is hit or miss. Would check out the dealers service history and comments. Our FR berkshire was at the dealer the first year more than it was at home getting repairs, dealer blamed FR for not getting parts, FR blamed dealer for not ordering. Also FR dealers do not have to do warrenty repairs unless it is the place your purchased it from, see the small print on the FR brochure.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
To answer your question.

#1 We use to have Holiday Rambler Gas coach that was fine until we hit mountains...going 45-50 on a hill with the flashers on and the motor screaming between the seats was not relaxing at all.

#2 Buying the Legacy from a dealer only 30 miles from the factory was a better choice than a local dealer near my home in York PA.

#3 Any issues we have had the factory has paid my local repair shop direct. the nearest Forest River Dealer deals all with trailers and not the Motorhomes.

#4 We have put 6000 miles on her from July 18th of last year till November when she went inside for the winter. A few small issues like something loose and a few items but nothing a man with skills can fix.

#5 Get the 360RB with the 1.5 bath option...my wife loves the rear bath and the ability that others staying with us have privacy with the half bath in the middle. We love the entry point like a Gas coach...opening is under the awning.

#6 We bought the extended warranty for 10 years....at $4000 its a great deal when you think of 35$ per month to cover so much.

#7 Gas mileage...we went from a Gas coach doing 6-7 MPG to a Diesel with all kinds of power getting 10.5 towing and 11.3 not.

If you lived closer I would say come and drive mine..

We love it and have trips planned this year which will allow us another 10,000 miles to be put on her.
LOL! #1..... Been there, done that!
Thanks for the pics of your coach. She is BEAUTIFUL!!!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
LOL! #1..... Been there, done that!
Thanks for the pics of your coach. She is BEAUTIFUL!!!
My wife and I use to yell at each other over the noise of the engine on hills or other time...now its so quiet she falls asleep....

Love the DP and the engine break...oh yes...the air horns...love them as well