Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #57

We just purchased our 2016 Solaire 267BHSE a little less than a month ago. I can't say enough good things about the camper. Had a couple calls to FR with questions and they have been helpful. Everything on the camper works well. I have been in campers my whole life, so quality was about what I expected or maybe a little better.

Would definitely consider another FR if anything happens to this one. But time will tell if that opinion holds up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #58

Jayco Owners Club
Angry I'll never get another one

We bought our Forest River Flagstaff Micro Lite brand new in 2013. Have only been out in it 6 times since then. I have always kept a good breathable cover over it when stored. Last summer, when I uncovered it to get it ready for the season, I could not believe how much work and money it was going to take to get this thing on the road.
Every single inch of Edge Trim was cracked, and falling off. Basically just disintegrated. Next I notice the vent lid over our bed was cracked. Went up to check that out, to find it had literally disintegrated as well.
The dining table, which I quickly learned to hate after buying, was warped in both directions, and the cheap plastic edge Trim was falling out.
So we did not even use it last year, there was so much work to do. Got the Exterior trim replaced and all recaulked. I was amazed how many screws were installed cock-eyed, and how many were missing al together. Repaired all the cracked caulking on the roof while I was at it. Replace roof vent, and covered both of them with vent covers. The dining table originally had this collapsible leg system under it. It was so darn big, there was literally no room for your legs. Horrible contraption. So I built a new table top, and ordered a pair of the tubular, floor mount table supports. All went great there, until I went to install it to the floor. The actual "wood" surface of the floor is only 1/4" thick!!! While it holds the table in place, I have to be sure to take the table down before every haul, or the rocking will simply tear the screws out of the floor.
While fixing that, I decided I was sick of getting stabbed in the legs by the sharp edges of the 1/8" wood sheets that serve as a seat over the aluminum boxes that make up the benches. Replaced them with 5/8 wood. Added piano hinges to both sides, so that the storage area below could actually be accessed.
And while researching complaints about Forest River products (should have done this before I bought one), I came across someone complaining that the wheel wells are not sealed, and water will splash straight up into the wall bottom, and cause it to delaminate. So I looked up in the wheel wells, and sure enough, I was looking at a HUGE 1/2" gap, and could literally see the styrofoam bottom of the walls. So I had to fill all that in with a good automotive seam sealant.

Do yourself a favor, and never EVER buy Forest River products.
sdharlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #59

Whenever anyone is considering any Forest River product you need to look at the specific unit. All the Diesel rigs are made in one plant. No towables are made in that plant. Look at a specific model and see what others have had for issues or non-issues with that model. Most that I know that have Berkshires and Charlestons have been very pleased with their choices. Painting all the products with the same broad brush is not really accurate.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Once Again

Well I replied about 2 months ago to this thread of my issues up until then and the fun continues on my 2018 FR MH model 31L5. Slide stuck out again this time I couldn't get it in, CI took over a week after me having to really get on top of them to get someone out there to get the slide in so I could drive it up there to be repaired along with a multitude of other issues I had gathered since I bought it in April. Luckily a week earlier I was camping and this didn't happen there. That's my biggest fear in getting someone to fix it if it happens then. I pretty handy so I've now have the information and knowledge to at least bring it in if they don't come out. The put me off bringing the last time I fixed it because it was two weeks before Memorial Day they were booked and they tried again this time since it was two weeks before the 4th of July but my patience was done. Brought it up there and they fixed the slide and mostly everything else. The Service Mgr. and I went out and reviewed everything with me then claimed he was too busy to provide a copy of the written report but promised to email it to me that nite, nothing still and that was over a week ago so I'll be calling tomorrow. He blamed most of the issues on FR and it's probably true, claimed they had to fight to get for parts on manufacturer problems. Of course left on another trip a week ago only an hr. away, easy ride, pulled into site went inside to find the entire bedroom sliding door, rail and all pulled off of the ceiling it was screwed into, damaging not only the door but the wall. Oh and that slide that was stuck there's still an issue not deploying fully on one side again... Sadly what I'm hearing from friends and seeing on forums like this it's the norm for quality and service whether it's a 150K unit or a lot more and it's not just with FR. The don't have the pride that the Car Companies learned the hard way. Built in America pride doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary I guess, my opinion. Wrote them a nice letter explaining what I had for issues and asked some questions and of course never heard back, didn't expect to either.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #61

I really wish i had read the reviews. I would have passed on this one. 2017 fr3, 32ds. Had problems with it just leaving dealer. We did some camping, dry camping, in the mountains. Seemed to do alright. The fridge is very noisy when running on gas. We just left for a week long trip with grandkids. It was Sunday. I checked the overhead bunk over the drivers seats. It's electric. It doesn't work. Some screws that hold micro switches fell out. Had O luck with any tech help. Just checked the tv and the antenna has no power. The jack knife couch material is torn on the bottom edges. Already looks 10 years old. We have only had this for a month. I have a long laundry list for warranty work this winter. Tech support hasn't responded to emails. Would really like to be able to use the bunk for the kids.
01gulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #62

2016 Prism 24G

This is what the water input looked like under the shower in my new Prism 24G. It took well over an hour to fill the 30 gal fresh water tank with a hose that puts out at least 4 gpm. I can only imagine how it passed tests at the factory and the dealer inspection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kink.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	170966  
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #63

This is what the water tank looked like on our 2017 2391TS. You could fill it all day long. Water just ran out the side of the tank. It was a port that no one thought to plug...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterTankLeakArrow.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	171066  
Granny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #64

Forest River Owners Club
Remember when household appliances would last for decades? I've a freezer in my garage that I bought in 1982 and it is still working fine. My wife's grandma still has a dishwasher that attaches to the kitchen faucet. Fast forward to today - most of my kitchen appliances seem to have about a 5 year lifespan on average.

I think the RV industry is the same as the appliance industry - build in planned obsolescence so that people need to purchase again, and again, and again. After all from a manufacturers standpoint, why build something that is going to last the lifetime of a person - no profit in that.

I really like my Rockwood 8288SS fiver , but it had many problems that I'm fixing as I own the rig, and the problems are slowly being corrected one by one (I had an old entry level TT many years ago that never had the problems I'm having with my fiver). My thought these days is that an RV kind of reminds me of one of the old Radio Shack Heathkits - you are given a basic unit that you'll need to tailor to your personal needs, replacing cheap RV components for house grade parts, etc. I'm afraid that cheap components and poor attention to build quality is a part of life these days.
owgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by owgpz View Post
Remember when household appliances would last for decades? I've a freezer in my garage that I bought in 1982 and it is still working fine. My wife's grandma still has a dishwasher that attaches to the kitchen faucet. Fast forward to today - most of my kitchen appliances seem to have about a 5 year lifespan on average.

I think the RV industry is the same as the appliance industry - build in planned obsolescence so that people need to purchase again, and again, and again. After all from a manufacturers standpoint, why build something that is going to last the lifetime of a person - no profit in that.

I really like my Rockwood 8288SS fiver , but it had many problems that I'm fixing as I own the rig, and the problems are slowly being corrected one by one (I had an old entry level TT many years ago that never had the problems I'm having with my fiver). My thought these days is that an RV kind of reminds me of one of the old Radio Shack Heathkits - you are given a basic unit that you'll need to tailor to your personal needs, replacing cheap RV components for house grade parts, etc. I'm afraid that cheap components and poor attention to build quality is a part of life these days.
Your experience as well as others like yours is one main reason I recommend people buy used if they can. Depreciation is the other main reason. However, some people are in a position they have to trade something or need financing and are in a position to experience what many of us have done with new units. So, think of it this way, what we fix for the rv manufacturers benefits the person that buys a used unit that has been well taken care of.

Dave
Old 08-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #66

I have owned 5 MH over the last 15+ years. In 2013 we purchased a new FR-25. It was the worst built RV I have ever seen. Wiring and plumbing was atrocious. The slide outs were a joke. Chances of getting one in or out was about 50/50. Dealers(service) were also bad. Tried to get directly to FR for help (parts etc), but unless you knew someone by name they would only refer you to their dealers. I have never had quality or service this bad with other MH's. Hey, but in the 3 years we had it, the roof never leaked.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Can't understand how a person will spend all the money a M/H costs, and will not take the time to either read the manuals that come with it, or remove a removable panel to see what's behind it......then when something goes wrong, need to vent what a pos the unit is......most manuals are online, and there are forums for all models of FR Products.......and don't be afraid to ask questions.....
You have to delusional. The manual that came with my Leprechaun is completely worthless. For example, it says to put bleach in the water system to sanitize. I agree with that but the design they use for inputting fresh water does not allow for that. Or for filling up at most of the places I do that lack threaded hose connections.

The online manual is even more useless.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #68

Quote:
No manual crank?
The dealer told me my new Leprechaun 260DS does not have manual cranks. He said you'd need to get helpers and push it in.

The one time I had a slide not work a manual crank would not have mattered. The shear pin broke. I am ortty sure a manual crank would have tried to use the same shaft so wouldn't have worked either. Fortunately it was a small slide on a pickup camper that I was able to push in.

Likewise no way to manually close the electric awning.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #69

Quote:
Can't understand how a person will spend all the money a M/H costs, and will not take the time to either read the manuals that come with it, or remove a removable panel to see what's behind it......then when something goes wrong, need to vent what a pos the unit is......most manuals are online, and there are forums for all models of FR Products.......and don't be afraid to ask questions.....
Sorry. NO Schematics and almost no maintenance info with the NEW FR-3. A couple HAND DRAWN wire diagrams that were wrong. The only maintenance stuff is the things that come with the OEM appliances, etc. I have to remove a panel to see whats behind it?! BTW, No FR-3 manuals on line. Yes forums are a great help. With my Winnebago, I got manuals on everthing. Every item (cabinet doors, electrical switches, lines, wires, etc. are marked for identification and/or replacement. No comparison.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #70

"Can't understand how a person will spend...... and will not take the time to either read the manuals that come with it, or remove a removable panel to see what's behind it......."

Most of the manuals are worthless. Some folks simply don't have the expertise to remove a panel. They'd have no idea what to do if they removed the panel LOL..
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality