Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #1

Forester 3011DS fit and finish

I’m interested in the 2021 Forester 3011DS and would like to know from owners it’s overall quality? There are so many good things from the fiberglass roof to the enclosed tanks and water bay etc. I didn’t realize until yesterday it has over 100 CF of basement storage which is incredible.

I’d love to hear from owners about the quality and comfort of the seating. And the general workmanship ... Thanks
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #2

Following. [emoji106]
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a new Forester 3051S in 2015. We drove it 18,000 miles in the first two years. We traded it in in 2017 on a new Winnebago Class A.

Being honest we were not satisfied with the build quality of the RV and we are glad we did not keep it.

We had a few mechanical issues as one would expect, but the furnishings were cheaply made and didn’t hold up all that well. The vinyl sofa split badly and had to be recovered. And cabinet hinge screws striped out. The wood framing in the interior is wood-look vinyl covered particle board.

We also felt the sofa and dinette cushions were uncomfortable. We actually had the dinette seating refoamed within the first 3-months of ownership. And we had the mattress replaced.

We also had issues with the full body paint chipping off from body flexing. We had this fixed out of warranty but FR declined to reimburse us the cost out of warranty.

We lost a considerable amount of money on the trade in, but that’s to be expected selling it so quickly. We’re much more happy with our Winnebago which is now 3-years old and has 31,000 miles on it. It has much better build quality in our opinion.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #4

Hi creative part, Not a compelling story for running out and buying a Forester is it? I'm curious if you've seen any newer models to see if they have made changes? When you say;
"And cabinet hinge screws striped out. The wood framing in the interior is wood-look vinyl covered particle board."
That goes right to the build and there's just no excuse for that kind of construction. I've been looking at Esteem/GrayHawk Prestige and awaiting the new design of the Coachmen Concord. The Forester 3011DS has a great floorpan and lots of exterior storage and other positive features, hence my interest.

Thanks for your post creative part.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Frankly, we felt that we dodged a bullet when we traded in the FR. So, no we have not looked at other Foresters.

FR is not alone in their use of particleboard framing. They like to claim “hardwood cabinet doors” but it’s the doors only.

We have not looked at any other C’s except the Leisure Unity and Tiffin Wayfarer. They seem well made.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #6

Hi creativepart, My hope is that your Forester experience is an outlier. I say that for no other reason than it’s a very popular brand and if many had your kind of experience it wouldn’t be. Sorry with what happened to you, no one would like that from something where pleasure is expected.

Maybe we’ll hear from others with a Forester with a different experience. I hope so because I like many things about it.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Of course. As an FYI the Forester was my 4th RV purchase. So, I have a fairly good idea of what to expect. One good way to get a feel for overall build quality is to spend time reading the Forest River forum - a spin off of IRV2.com.

You'll find it at www.forestriverforums.com.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:58 AM   #8

Guys. Here’s a picture of what Forest River is currently using for cabinet face and trim. Pine core with hardboard front and back then vinyl wood grain cover. Holds screws better than the older particle board but if they strip a screw hole during assembly which happens probably 20+% of the time it still will loosen up. [emoji45]
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2020-11-02-08:58:10-053.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	306704
Old 11-02-2020, 07:06 AM   #9

That doesn’t look too good does it? I hope that’s not indicative of all the Forest River brands. Like Coachmen for example. The Concord (being newly designed) is on the top of my list and I sure don’t want to see that!
Old 11-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
That doesn’t look too good does it? I hope that’s not indicative of all the Forest River brands. Like Coachmen for example. The Concord (being newly designed) is on the top of my list and I sure don’t want to see that!

Actually this trim holds up quite well. It’s strong yet lighter than hardwood. Do I like it better, no but the manufacturers have weight and price points they’re trying to meet.

We’ve owned three Flagstaff and one Rockwood all Forest River products and have experienced maybe 4-6 stripped holes in each one this includes larger screws in aluminum framing. The ones in wood repair easily with a couple of toothpicks and wood glue. The ones in aluminum just require a larger diameter screw.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #11

Thanks fort the correction Funengineer, you find this to be about the standard and it holds up well?
Old 11-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Thanks fort the correction Funengineer, you find this to be about the standard and it holds up well?

That’s been my experience.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #13

I am probably just an exception, but I bought my 2014 Forest River Sunseeker 2500TS, on the Chevrolet 4500 chassis, brand new in 2014 and have never needed a repair that was a Forest River deficiency. The A/C died the first year and was replaced, but it was a Dometic issue and I had a relay issue with the Chevrolet engine that I personally fixed two years ago. But nothing Forest River did was faulty. I've got over 24k miles, three kids, 2 German Shepherds, 26 states.

I'd buy from them again
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #14

El Chapo, That is quite an endorsement! When I ask someone if they’re happy with whatever they bought? I always follow up with the question “Would you buy it again”?

Thanks for your response it’s most appreciated.